National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedOld Elthamians Future

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 13:58
Likewise - as in like what Alderman said.

Probably our biggest gate of the season is cancelled along with everything else scheduled up to end Apr.
Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 14:50
Originally posted by stonehousealbion stonehousealbion wrote:

Likewise - as in like what Alderman said.

Probably our biggest gate of the season is cancelled along with everything else scheduled up to end Apr.

An unfortunate result - most teams have a bumper last home game and will miss the extra income.

In the greater scheme of things not that important.
RAID ON
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 16:01
Well we didn’t 1 home game against DMP then 2 away with a week off, April was awful for us in a cash flow perspective but thems the breaks, would rather have that than what we’ve got
So many Christians not enough Lions
WINGER14 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 22:04
At the Titans our last 4 games would have been  H  H  A  H.
A loss of around £19,000 Gate Money.  Then there's the loss of money on Food and Drink sales,  loss of sponsorship, loss of Raffle Ticket and Programme sales.  Hard to say what the total loss would be, but it is many, many £Thousands.

Then we look at why the season was terminated early and any loss of anything Rugby pales into insignificance.
We can but Hope that the new season can start in September, but the way this Virus is spreading, with no Definate signs yet of slowing down, that may not happen.

There are going to be many bad consequences and Huge financial losses for lots of Clubs in all Sports, but we will come through eventually and have to do, as supporters, everything we can to help our Clubs to survive.
Lots of our Season Ticket Holders have stated that they do not want refunds.  This may not be a huge amount of money, but its a start and I'm proud of every one of them.

The decision we await now is what are the RFU going to do about promotion and Relegation.  No one can say now, what results 'Might' have been, or how League positions 'Might' have changed, so to me the RFU should say that the season finished on the day they abandoned it, and points and positions stay as they are now. Promotion and Relegation as per current positions.

We wait with bated breath.  Winners of Nat 2N and Nat 2S promoted, and bottom 2 in Nat 1 relegated.   As the Play-Off game between the runners-up in Nat 2N and Nat 2S cannot be played, then neither should be promoted, unless the RFU decide to Toss a Coin.
Off course the Titans would be ecstatic if this happened as we would stay in Nat 1 next season.  But with the RFU making the decision ANYTHING could happen, and with it being the RFU it will probably be a total B**ls - Up.

Edited by WINGER14 - 24 Mar 2020 at 20:57
grooveavenue13 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 13:24
Winger re Titans £19000 gate? But does that include season ticket holders, whose investment would have been budgeted towards running the Club sometime ago. Whatever, the same situation faces Birmingham Moseley. There were plans for guest speakers luncheons ( ticket sales were high, I heard), women's lunch match days, charity match days (with the spin off of additional refreshment takings),   All cancelled.

The Board sit, virtually as we speak, considering the next moves and I don't envy them.

Several Supporters Noticeboard suggestions have been put forward by contributors that may or may not be viable to incorporate in any plans but the Board have a difficult job here.

COME ON BIRMINGHAM MOSEKEY
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 17:19
I hope the meeting is being done by video link 😃
So many Christians not enough Lions
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 18:07
Birmingham Moseley "Board sit virtually". I should expect so!

Seriously though, BM must be very disappointed with how this season has turned out, even when ignoring the imposed early finish.
We visited BM as the first match of the season and were well beaten but, you could see then that they were not going to trouble the top of the league.
BM's committee had reasonably high expectations, with a new DoR and new signings but they have massively under achieved. Any ideas why?
All Knwoing All Seeing
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 18:16
Only a contributory factor I'm sure but recruiting a shed-load of players from the defunct Birmingham & Solihull who after all were relegated from N2S at the end of 18/19 was never an indication they were going to be competing at the top end of Nat1 - a handful were making the match day 20 on a regular basis
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 18:36
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Birmingham Moseley "Board sit virtually". I should expect so!

Seriously though, BM must be very disappointed with how this season has turned out, even when ignoring the imposed early finish.
We visited BM as the first match of the season and were well beaten but, you could see then that they were not going to trouble the top of the league.
BM's committee had reasonably high expectations, with a new DoR and new signings but they have massively under achieved. Any ideas why?

LOLLOLLOL

Dreadful as our season has been, and there's a host of reasons why... - I nevertheless remembered this exchange between us from the week after that match...

sample quote, er one Sid James...

"If that squad is not in competition for a top 3 place at the end of the season I would want to know why."

Edited by billesleyexile - 25 Mar 2020 at 18:37
keep the faith
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 18:39
for balance, what I wrote...

billesleyexile wrote:

Still a bit shell shocked by what I’ve just seen on the Common - beyond champagne rugby, ludicrous passing, 3/4 tries and scoring for fun. Not sure if we were very good, Hull were bad, both, or what. FWIW Hull looked ok. Never seen anything like it.

Confused of North Oxfordshire.
keep the faith
WINGER14 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 21:02
Grooveavenue13

We had 3 Home games left to play

I took our Ave Gate No's,  multified that by £15 (Ave entrance fee), then took off Season Ticket money. 
Various Groups held meetings in the Clubhouse, there was a Salsa Class, a Slimming Club held sessions, the Clubhouse was hired for Birthday Parties, Anniversary's, Retirement's, Funeral Tea's and Wedding Receptions. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights there was entertainment on the stage, a Singer or a Group or a Comedian.  These are losses as well has those mentioned above.
These all add up to a massive loss of revenue since we had to close the Ground / Clubhouse.
I know that many more Clubs are in the same situation and will undoubtably be strugging. The last thing I want to see is any Club going under, but at this time my main thoughts and considerations are towards my Club and their survival.

I read that the Welsh and Scottish Unions are giving money to Clubs to help them through these uncertain times.  Apparently the RFU have said they will not be doing this.  Is it true.

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 22:48
sample quote, er one Sid James...

"If that squad is not in competition for a top 3 place at the end of the season I would want to know why."
[/QUOTE]

So tell us why.

p.s. I also said "see you again in April". That won't happen either.

Edited by Sid James - 25 Mar 2020 at 22:53
All Knwoing All Seeing
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 23:39
Why should the RFU bail out any club that pays players to play?
WINGER14 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 00:48
Monkey Boy

Have you been in a Coma for the last 3 Months, have you not kept up with the News, our Country / World is in crisis.  The British Government is releasing Billions of Pounds to help Firms, Factory's, Shops, Hotels, Pub etc, to stay afloat and help pay their employees who have to stay at home through no fault of their own.

The RFU is English Rugby Unions Government, and surely you would expect them to offer some aid to help keep THEIR Workforce afloat.  This Current situation might go on into Next Year, let alone Next Season.  If this happens, how many Clubs, in more than our Sport, do you think will not be around when Rugby starts up again. I hope ALL of them will be.

If thats you attitude, then I hope you don't run any business that employs other people.

Edited by WINGER14 - 26 Mar 2020 at 10:54
Intouch View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 07:51
Its ok because he told the r rugby paper last week that his phone has been non stop with players wanting to join, from championship clubs.
grooveavenue13 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 08:22
BIRMINGHAM MOSELEY. Yes, we too had a new DOR as of April/May 2019, Adam Balding. He inherited a squad of about 4 signed players. Er ... No doubt his first responsibility was to secure a sufficient players to take on increasingly competitive Nat 1 opposition.

While we had a good Sept/Oct-ish the rest of the season (has) proved difficult to compete with any consistency. We have signed a number of loan players but we all know it's a 20+ man game and depth of quality throughout a squad is so important to match some very good long established teams throughout this Division. I was believing that the drier pitches of March and April would be our saviour, as it seems we have played in rain and mud since November 1st! I know that all BMRFC followers will agree with me on this and will confirm an optimism that March and April would have held for us regarding better results on faster grass tracks !

As all, we too await our Directors plans for the future. A ridiculously negative starting point for them, however.

Keep healthy and safe all.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 08:58
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Only a contributory factor I'm sure but recruiting a shed-load of players from the defunct Birmingham & Solihull who after all were relegated from N2S at the end of 18/19 was never an indication they were going to be competing at the top end of Nat1 - a handful were making the match day 20 on a regular basis
We signed  8 from Birmingham & Solihull, 2 played in most of the games the rest I guess less than half.
It did not affect Bournville who signed a few from them and won their league. 
Cauliflower ear.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 09:02
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

We signed  8 from Birmingham & Solihull, 2 played in most of the games the rest I guess less than half.
It did not affect Bournville who signed a few from them and won their league. 

Slight difference, at the end of last season B&S were relegated from N2S and ceased paying players hence they all left etc.

At that stage Moseley were in N1 and Bourneville were in N3? - I would suggest that signing players from a club at the bottom end of N2 is more sensible for a team in N3 than one in N1?

Or maybe Moseley signed the wrong players from B&S?

Edited by Raider999 - 26 Mar 2020 at 09:05
RAID ON
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by WINGER14 WINGER14 wrote:

Monkey Boy

Have you been in a Coma for the last 3 Months, have you not kept up with the News, our Country / World is in crisis.  The British Government is releasing Billions of Pounds to help Firms, Factory's, Shops, Hotels, Pub etc, to stay afloat and help pay their employees who have to stay at home through no fault of their own.

The RFU is English Rugby Unions Government, and surely you would expect them to offer some aid to help keep THEIR Workforce afloat.  This Current situation might go on into Next Year, let alone Next Season.  If this happens, how many Clubs, in more than our Sport, do you think will not be around when Rugby starts up again. I hope ALL of them.

If thats you attitude, then I hope you don't run any business that employs other people.

First in the queue should be clubs who because of this crisis are unable to pay rent, rates, utilities, ground maintenance etc.
Last in the queue should be clubs who are unable to pay players.
Anyone who relies on Nat One rugby money is foolish.

What this whole crisis is highlighting is how many things in modern society are totally broken.  Rugby players shouldn’t be getting paid in National One to a level that they see it as a wage.  Compensate them for their time.

If the government wants to Furlough support these players then so be it but the RFU should be concentrating on those clubs who don’t pay players as they are the safe investments who’ll be around for years to come.

The rugby pyramid is a failed prophecy.

If a very rich man wants to spend his pocket money on rugby players and then no longer can do whether it be through an untold crisis like this or something else then that’s that. There’s no requirement for anybody else to pick up the bill.

Look at the facilities at Level 3 and 4 of the game. Compare the investment in them to how much has been spent on the pitch in the same time. Mental.  The governing body should be aiding those clubs with sustainable models who don’t throw cash at players but will suffer through not being open to their membership at this time
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:24
Monkey boy I could not agree more. If anything good comes out of the coronavirus crisis I hope it will be revaluation across a wide spectrum of society.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic