National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The Scrummage Refereeing - Event Date: 23 Feb 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: The Scrummage Refereeing
    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 16:51
Enough is enough.
As I watch England Ireland Jako Peyper constantly penalises collapsed scrums yet allows Rugby league pit ins at the scrums . Pathetic and boring to watch . replacement hooker for England Cowan-Dickie had his socks rolled down , clearly no need for shin pads!!!!

Ditto at N2S etc

The game seems happy to jump on clubs not financially correct but completely ignores the fundamentals of the game .
Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Another Malbec to calm down.
Love to hear Rugby lovers response

Cheers
another one against the head
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 17:06
Originally posted by Old Hooker Old Hooker wrote:

Enough is enough.
As I watch England Ireland Jako Peyper constantly penalises collapsed scrums yet allows Rugby league pit ins at the scrums . Pathetic and boring to watch . replacement hooker for England Cowan-Dickie had his socks rolled down , clearly no need for shin pads!!!!

Ditto at N2S etc

The game seems happy to jump on clubs not financially correct but completely ignores the fundamentals of the game .
Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Cheers

Jaco Peyper should not be anywhere near a Test match arena in my opinion but to add substance to your post of his ability ...

1) Play just before half time, England kick through, Joseph dives on the ball, an England player then seals off, there is no tackle or ruck and he penalises Ireland for midfield offside

2) Johnny May comes around the side of a ruck (legally) and then knocks the ball out of the Irish players hand and he deems it as not a knock on!

Understand today was a WR event, so the refereeing will always be different to National 2 South / National 1 but RFU policy is CASCADED down from The AP referees,but I have seen more straight put ins at Level 4/3 in the last 5 years, than I did in 21 years at Level 1 .....the referee was not good today but thanks to politics, you'll be seeing him for a few years yet!
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 17:15
No doubt Farrell was in the wrong and was rightly penalised, but for Peyper to allow Stander to go unpunished is a nonsense.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 17:51
Originally posted by MikeGC MikeGC wrote:

No doubt Farrell was in the wrong and was rightly penalised, but for Peyper to allow Stander to go unpunished is a nonsense.

Trouble is, the only way to punish Stander was to REVERSE the penalty, which means the player who incites the foul play, gets away with his misdemeanour, as a referee, you're damned if you and damned if you don't!
CornishChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornishChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 18:19
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

Originally posted by MikeGC MikeGC wrote:

Trouble is, the only way to punish Stander was to REVERSE the penalty, which means the player who incites the foul play, gets away with his misdemeanour, as a referee, you're damned if you and damned if you don't!

The way Farrell spoke to the referee he should have been given 10 minutes to reflect on his behaviour. Sadly never likely to happen. 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 18:50
Stander didn't punch him though, if you look there's no clenched fist, he used the heel of his hand, he showed a fair bit of discipline there, Farrell got what he asked for really.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 18:53
Originally posted by Old Hooker Old Hooker wrote:

Enough is enough.

Ditto at N2S etc

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Cheers

I think you would win a case for calling the number 2's as hookers under the trade description act. I'd like to see an end to lifting in lineouts and straight throws into them as well, not as bad as scrum halves throwing the ball into the second row, but close.
Old Hooker View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 19:37
well said Tiger.
In the 80s I was at a club with a young Jeff Probyn. we were playing Clifton who
it transpired it would be a good idea to gouge me !!!!.Having had that happen to me before for Quins 2s vs Cardiff I was keen for no repetition. We took the scrum so low on our next put in I hooked with my head we drove forward and secured the ball. the great props had perfect footing. could that happen now?????? we were not the quickest around the park but each and every scrum won or lost was very rarely penalised. the game just carried on.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 21:22
Dan Biggar anyone? 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 21:26
one of the best
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 07:22
My biggest gripe is the constant whining, appealing & moaning at the officials we are constantly blasted for it every week 
So many Christians not enough Lions
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:25

The funniest thing was seeing Farrell lifted like a toddler hanging on to the 8's leg.

Pace Power Perfection
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:42
5. In waving his arms around and shouting at the Match Officials the Coach disrespected their authority and did not live up to value of Respect, which is at the heart of our Game. His conduct crossed the line and fell short of what is expected of a coach (and therefore a leader) of a National League club.

Chester coach got a one week ban -  Just read the wording of the above, from the hearing report,  and then consider what went on at the weekend
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

My biggest gripe is the constant whining, appealing & moaning at the officials we are constantly blasted for it every week 

If you stopped all the whining and appealing to the ref, what would Alan Wynn Jones do for 80mins?
All Knwoing All Seeing
sidelined View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sidelined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 13:05
I've long been in the belief that top referees should, every so often, drop down a few levels and referee at level 4 or 5. Especially 5 where they would be on their own with no help from the sidelines.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 14:34
The refs need to be professional and trained and paid accordingly, expecting amateur refs to run a pro game is not on, there's no game without a ref.
Arch Angel View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Arch Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 15:30
Irrelevant whether it was a closed fist or not, it was still striking with the hand (even if OF deserved it) what was the 4th official watching?
Been around too long to know better
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 19:25
Originally posted by Arch Angel Arch Angel wrote:

Irrelevant whether it was a closed fist or not, it was still striking with the hand (even if OF deserved it) what was the 4th official watching?

The T M O intervened on several occasions but neither he nor Peyper bothered when England kicked through in the second half and an Irish defender took the kicker out.

I would say it was marginally late, possibly close enough not to penalise - however there definitely weren't any arms in the 'tackle'.

Have to agree, I am not sure Peyper is up to test match rugby at this time.
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 20:08
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Arch Angel Arch Angel wrote:

The T M O intervened on several occasions but neither he nor Peyper bothered when England kicked through in the second half and an Irish defender took the kicker out.

I would say it was marginally late, possibly close enough not to penalise - however there definitely weren't any arms in the 'tackle'.

Have to agree, I am not sure Peyper is up to test match rugby at this time.

I am told that apparently any referee who visits South Africa, is looked after by JP in a great way, safari's, wine tasting etc etc and as such is seen by WR as a great guy and who cares if he is a useless Test match referee!

Couldn't ....... make ....... it ........ up!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:41
Thanks for your input Clive. Ear still to the ground !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic