National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The RFU's continuing incompetence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 17:08
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Yours Sincerely

I hope you signed it "Big Eddie"!

Evil Smile
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 17:12
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Yours Sincerely

I hope you signed it "Big Eddie"!

Evil Smile

I didn't on the grounds that an RFU Council member told me last year that the RFU knew who Big Eddie was!
''The future isn't what it used to be''
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 20:00

I didn't on the grounds that an RFU Council member told me last year that the RFU knew who Big Eddie was!

We know where you live (so we can send you a case of Cristal 2008 should Caldy get promotion)    Beer
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
BeeBumble View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 23:38
I can give you his latest address 🤠
Me? I'm just buzzin' around!
BeeBumble View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 23:42
For what it's worth, the stats shown all appear to be wrong - what's the point in recognising achievement if you can't document the achievement correctly 😎

Me? I'm just buzzin' around!
touchlineexpert View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote touchlineexpert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 00:14
Are you okay mate? Seems like a lot of effort to go through for a wrong picture, particularly as other websites such as BBC or other papers regularly get wrong players in photos attached to news stories.

I'd suggest you are better off sitting down with your local CRC or RDO and explain to them how they think they could better be supporting the grassroots game in your area?

From my experience with them they are always keen to hear the opinions of clubs and much easier to contact than anyone 'HQ' based??
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 07:48
Originally posted by touchlineexpert touchlineexpert wrote:

Are you okay mate? Seems like a lot of effort to go through for a wrong picture, particularly as other websites such as BBC or other papers regularly get wrong players in photos attached to news stories.

I'd suggest you are better off sitting down with your local CRC or RDO and explain to them how they think they could better be supporting the grassroots game in your area?

From my experience with them they are always keen to hear the opinions of clubs and much easier to contact than anyone 'HQ' based??

Touchlineexpert,

You quote inaccurate reporting by the BBC and other News outlets and websites as some kind of mitigation regarding the RFU's careless attitude. The difference is in the name. The Rugby Football Union is the governing body of our sport and it was promoting the RFU's Player of the Month...........it wasn't reporting.... it was announcing!

Your view  Are you okay mate? Seems like a lot of effort to go through for a wrong picture, is possibly not shared by the player in question Gavin Roberts or his family, friends and Caldy supporters.

The reason I put some effort into this was to highlight the attitude the RFU clearly has towards the 2,000+ clubs in England who the RFU considers to be one big inconvenience to the real job of spending £10's of millions for the benefit of 12 commercial organisations which could not survive on their own without massive RFU hand outs.

Edited by Big Eddie - 05 Mar 2020 at 08:54
Bruce Edgar View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Edgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 08:14
Big Eddie should get his own club in order first.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 08:18
Touchline,

I need to also express my absolute admiration for one of the best centres in UK rugby, the peerless Welsh Wizard, Gavin Roberts. He is Caldy's record points scorer despite not having the kicking duties for some 6 or 7 years as this was delegated firstly to Simon Mason and then Richard Vasey.

Gavin Roberts isn't the biggest but he is a quite brilliant defensive centre, has electric acceleration and is one of the most balanced runners I have ever had the joy to watch. He could and probably should have been a full time professional player but he came to rugby late (as a 20 year old) and accordingly was not in the system.

In Caldy's level 4 play off against Richmond some 8 or 9 years ago the ex England international Simon Halliday considered Gavin Roberts' all round performance to be the finest display by a centre he had ever seen at any level, and considered Gavin Roberts to be as good as any player in the Premiership.

Gavin Roberts has played virtually all his senior rugby at Caldy.........his loyalty and sheer brilliance deserve wider recognition.

That is why I was so offended by the RFU's crass mistake in putting up a picture of the wrong Caldy player. I know Gavin Roberts isn't Manu Tuilagi and he doesn't play in the Premiership but it really matters to me (and I suspect a lot of other people) that the RFU got this right. If all the RFU want to do for 'Community Players' is give them a pat on the back, they should as a minimum pat the right player on the back.

I hope that helps to explain my frustration and effort to get the RFU's 'honest mistake' corrected.

Edited by Big Eddie - 05 Mar 2020 at 08:56
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Bruce Edgar Bruce Edgar wrote:

What a stupid comment without backing it up with facts. 
However I see you don't contribute a lot to Rolling Maul  Perhaps an employee of RFU
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 09:33

Touchline,

I need to also express my absolute admiration for one of the best centres in UK rugby, the peerless Welsh Wizard, Gavin Roberts. He is Caldy's record points scorer despite not having the kicking duties for some 6 or 7 years as this was delegated firstly to Simon Mason and then Richard Vasey.

Gavin Roberts isn't the biggest but he is a quite brilliant defensive centre, has electric acceleration and is one of the most balanced runners I have ever had the joy to watch. He could and probably should have been a full time professional player but he came to rugby late (as a 20 year old) and accordingly was not in the system.

In Caldy's level 4 play off against Richmond some 8 or 9 years ago the ex England international Simon Halliday considered Gavin Roberts' all round performance to be the finest display by a centre he had ever seen at any level, and considered Gavin Roberts to be as good as any player in the Premiership.

Gavin Roberts has played virtually all his senior rugby at Caldy.........his loyalty and sheer brilliance deserve wider recognition.

I know Gavin Roberts isn't Manu Tuilagi and he doesn't play in the Premiership but it really matters to me (and I suspect a lot of other people) that the RFU got this right.
I hope that helps to explain my frustration and effort to get the RFU's 'honest mistake' corrected.

Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:05
Thank you for your support Clive Norling. 

The massive imbalance between the RFU's support for the 1% of the game compared to the remaining 99% is a matter of great significance for all of us. We should highlight this imbalance at every opportunity
Bruce Edgar View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Edgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 15:56
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

However I see you don't contribute a lot to Rolling Maul  Perhaps an employee of RFU

Amazing how the RFU and their employees get blamed for everything that's going wrong with rugby. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 16:26
Just as a point of comparison - apparently the ECB (and every other board) signed off on the Women's T20 playing conditions without thinking that maybe having a reserve day for the semi finals would be a good thing. 

As ourwomen lost to SA - and they won all their matches apart from a no result - we can second in our group. We played India and of course it was rained off. India go through on better playing record.

Now the England players are crying foul. The rules must be changed.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 16:57

Amazing how the RFU and their employees get blamed for everything that's going wrong with rugby. 

There are a lot of very fine people working at the RFU and I wouldn't want to denigrate them for doing the job that has been asked of them by their senior management.

Someone asked me today what most upsets me about the RFU. It was an easy question to answer. The RFU is owned by its clubs.............all 2,000+ of them. However the RFU does not appear to discharge its obligations and responsibilities fairly across its constituent base because almost its entire focus is on the Professional game which consists of 12 clubs and the international elite.

When and how did its duty to act for all get changed into a focus very firmly towards the Professional and elite game. The RFU is now a feral organisation that has lost sight of what it should be about. Some years ago I put this point in person to a former President of the RFU. He didn't vacillate or demure he simply said "You are right"

The RFU is like a PLC with thousands of small individual shareholders and 12 larger institutional shareholders who collectively only account for a couple of per cent in voting terms. However because this block of institutional shareholders is represented by a powerful broker and they always vote and have the ear of senior management they have a vastly disproportionate influence over the organisation.

In PLC terms someone would organise the small retail shareholders so they spoke with one effective voice. This should be the Constituent Bodies in the case of English Rugby. Why have they not been effective in acting for their constituents?

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 18:51

There are a lot of very fine people working at the RFU and I wouldn't want to denigrate them for doing the job that has been asked of them by their senior management.

Someone asked me today what most upsets me about the RFU. It was an easy question to answer. The RFU is owned by its clubs.............all 2,000+ of them. However the RFU does not appear to discharge its obligations and responsibilities fairly across its constituent base because almost its entire focus is on the Professional game which consists of 12 clubs and the international elite.

When and how did its duty to act for all get changed into a focus very firmly towards the Professional and elite game. The RFU is now a feral organisation that has lost sight of what it should be about. Some years ago I put this point in person to a former President of the RFU. He didn't vacillate or demure he simply said "You are right"

The RFU is like a PLC with thousands of small individual shareholders and 12 larger institutional shareholders who collectively only account for a couple of per cent in voting terms. However because this block of institutional shareholders is represented by a powerful broker and they always vote and have the ear of senior management they have a vastly disproportionate influence over the organisation.

In PLC terms someone would organise the small retail shareholders so they spoke with one effective voice. This should be the Constituent Bodies in the case of English Rugby. Why have they not been effective in acting for their constituents?

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 18:58

Like Eddie, I don't blame ALL the employees ... some yes but not all, it is only a hunch and I only have anecdotal evidence but there are some that care not a jot about rugby in this country, they're there just to pick up a pay cheque and potentially use the RFU as a stepping stone to something better ....

No, I blame in the main, the gentlemen & ladies who have made up the Management Board and allowed CEO's and FD's to make a right horlicks of the finances and not held them to account ...

And added to that, the Council who instead of providing the counter argument, appear to have ceded all power to a group of between 10/12 people ....

I'm happy if you can provide evidence to the contrary to change my opinion publicly on this forum.
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 09:39
Re the council, they will never all agree as they have different agendas. The RAF,Navy, Army , universities, referees and others, all have representives if I am not mistaken. They have no issue with funding cuts at level 3 and below. The only time they all agreed ,was when it was suggested they had their freebies reduced
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by Thunderbird Thunderbird wrote:

The only time they all agreed ,was when it was suggested they had their freebies reduced

No way, what a surprise that is .....
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:05
Originally posted by Thunderbird Thunderbird wrote:

Re the council, they will never all agree as they have different agendas. The RAF,Navy, Army , universities, referees and others, all have representives if I am not mistaken. They have no issue with funding cuts at level 3 and below. The only time they all agreed ,was when it was suggested they had their freebies reduced

The RFU's archaic and disparate structure cedes total power to the Senior Management of the RFU. 

Member clubs will only ever regain control if they organise themselves and communicate effectively between each other. Without unity of purpose between what is patronisingly called 'Community Clubs' the well organised and financially powerful Premier League clubs will continue to control the RFU.

The only hope that the Community Clubs have is if Senior RFU Management decide to manage the organisation for the benefit of all and not just a very few.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic