National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The RFU's continuing incompetence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:15
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Originally posted by Thunderbird Thunderbird wrote:

Re the council, they will never all agree as they have different agendas. The RAF,Navy, Army , universities, referees and others, all have representives if I am not mistaken. They have no issue with funding cuts at level 3 and below. The only time they all agreed ,was when it was suggested they had their freebies reduced

The RFU's archaic and disparate structure cedes total power to the Senior Management of the RFU. 

Member clubs will only ever regain control if they organise themselves and communicate effectively between each other. Without unity of purpose between what is patronisingly called 'Community Clubs' the well organised and financially powerful Premier League clubs will continue to control the RFU.

The only hope that the Community Clubs have is if Senior RFU Management decide to manage the organisation for the benefit of all and not just a very few.

Eddie but who out there has time to try and coordinate the amount of clubs necessary to force an EGM?
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:50
Clive, 

that is almost certainly the problem. Who has the time and who has the inclination and the skill set to do it. Political organisations such as the RFU can easily be manipulated by a small ideological or otherwise self interested group.

In Liverpool in the 80's Derek Hatton and a small group took over Liverpool Council. Apathy and a lack of appetite by anyone to oppose them made it easy.

The Labour Party in the 90s was hijacked by 'New Labour'
The Labour Party more recently has been hijacked by 'Momentum'

The RFU's structure is so much easier to hijack by a small self interested group, because the Constituent Bodies who should be keeping RFU Senior Management in check are themselves generally run by self perpetuating coteries. My belief is that the principal activity of Senior Management in the RFU is probably managing the politics to keep themselves in power, rather than working for the good of its member clubs. 

I have seen it all before in large organisations and without activist shareholders to keep them in check Senior Management always drift towards self interest. Such a culture becomes ingrained in organisations...............the RFU exhibits the worst of such symptoms

I would say that when such poor cultures are ingrained in an organisation the only way it can generally be changed is through radical action. Telecoms companies are often beset by such politics. One very large European Telecoms appointed a new CEO to change the culture. He tried and failed because the power base beneath him obsfucated and resisted change, often very subtly but very successfully.

Bill Sweeney has come into the RFU as CEO with I am sure very good intentions. Will he be able to make the radical changes the RFU needs or will he end up failing or even worse going native?

Edited by Big Eddie - 06 Mar 2020 at 11:16
''The future isn't what it used to be''
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:15

Clive, 

that is almost certainly the problem. Who has the time and who has the inclination and the skill set to do it. Political organisations such as the RFU can easily be manipulated by a small ideological or otherwise self interested group.

In Liverpool in the 80's Derek Hatton and a small group took over Liverpool Council. Apathy and a lack of appetite by anyone to oppose them made it easy.

The RFU's structure is so much easier to hijack by a small self interested group, because the Constituent Bodies who should be keeping RFU Senior Management in check are themselves generally run by self perpetuating coteries. My belief is that the principal activity of Senior Management in the RFU is probably managing the politics to keep themselves in power, rather than working for the good of its member clubs. 

I have seen it all before in large organisations and without activist shareholders to keep them in check Senior Management always drift towards self interest. Such a culture becomes ingrained in organisations...............the RFU exhibits the worst of such symptoms

One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:16
Am I not right in saying that with the backing of 100 Clubs an EGM can be called???
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:06
Originally posted by One For The Ditch One For The Ditch wrote:

Am I not right in saying that with the backing of 100 Clubs an EGM can be called???

Spot on ....
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:08
Originally posted by One For The Ditch One For The Ditch wrote:

I am not sure but I have seen that quoted many times. If it is correct and I presume it is, it will still take a lot of organisation and a unity of purpose for the 100+ clubs to come together and agree to a specific set of resolutions they want enacted.

It is far easier for the PRL to agree amongst the 12 Premiership Clubs what their agenda should be and go and have a quiet chat to RFU Senior Management than it is for a 100 + clubs to coalesce around some specific resolutions and then carry the vote at an EGM.

However, despite the difficulties I think it does need to happen.

Edited by Big Eddie - 06 Mar 2020 at 13:10
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:08
While I agree with many of the points made against the RFU here, I certainly wouldn't be making any political analogies by talking about Derek Hatton or the Labour Party.  If I'm not mistaken, bleeding organisations dry for short term profit made by a few - plus privatisation, selfishness and greed generally -  is much more in line with current Conservative ideology. In that light, perhaps we really shouldn't be too surprised by current events at Twickenham - the CVC takeover and the apparent focus on the top end making a profit.  When economic growth and that terrible word "profit" are a society's main driver - as has been the seen in the USA for decades and is also unfortunately now the case in Toryland - bad things happen. Quite often very bad things - and it's always the little people who pay the price. 
Also, claiming that the Labour Party has been hijacked or taken over by Momentum is simply nonsense, and whatever one thinks of Jeremy Corbyn he was democratically elected by a massive majority of party members. Twice. There was nothing underhand or undemocratic about it.
But this is not a political forum so we should all desist from any analogies here and stick to rugby. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:13

Clive, 

I would say that when such poor cultures are ingrained in an organisation the only way it can generally be changed is through radical action. Telecoms companies are often beset by such politics. One very large European Telecoms appointed a new CEO to change the culture. He tried and failed because the power base beneath him obsfucated and resisted change, often very subtly but very successfully.

Bill Sweeney has come into the RFU as CEO with I am sure very good intentions. Will he be able to make the radical changes the RFU needs or will he end up failing or even worse going native?

Potentially the best CEO the RFU have had in recent times was John Steele, a rugby man through and through, he started out to re vamp the organisation and guess what, the suits/blazers/Council got rid of him because they probably didn't like the way the wind was going to blow ... not only did they get rid of him, to my knowledge, he has never uttered a word about his time with the company ....so just imagine how large that NDA agreement was!

We'll never know how good or bad he would have been but from my sources at the time i.e. employees in the rugby department, he was a breath of fresh air ...
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:15
Originally posted by French Connection French Connection wrote:

While I agree with many of the points made against the RFU here, I certainly wouldn't be making any political analogies by talking about Derek Hatton or the Labour Party.  If I'm not mistaken, bleeding organisations dry for short term profit made by a few - plus privatisation, selfishness and greed generally -  is much more in line with current Conservative ideology. In that light, perhaps we really shouldn't be too surprised by current events at Twickenham - the CVC takeover and the apparent focus on the top end making a profit.  When economic growth and that terrible word "profit" are a society's main driver - as has been the seen in the USA for decades and is also unfortunately now the case in Toryland - bad things happen. Quite often very bad things - and it's always the little people who pay the price. 
Also, claiming that the Labour Party has been hijacked or taken over by Momentum is simply nonsense, and whatever one thinks of Jeremy Corbyn he was democratically elected by a massive majority of party members. Twice. There was nothing underhand or undemocratic about it.
But this is not a political forum so we should all desist from any analogies here and stick to rugby. 

Fair point. I wasn't really wanting to make a political statement just pointing out how easy it can be for a small focussed group to carry an inordinate and unintended amount of power in a large and supposedly democratic organisation.

In America Trump and his cronies have pretty much full control of the Republican party and in the UK Dominic Cummings seems to wield a very disproportionate amount of influence in the Government.

My point wasn't about politics, it was just to point out how a small number of motivated people can control the agendas of large supposedly democratic organisations
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:17
John Steele
Former RFU chief executive
For five years John Steele was the chief executive of UK Sport, which meant mediating between the government, the sports councils of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and the myriad sports overseen by them all. Quite a few competing interests to deal with, quite a few arguments to resolve. Surely, after that, he could handle any collection of unreasonable egos. But he reckoned without the RFU. Steele's appointment as the RFU's chief executive in June last year was welcomed by all as a "rugby" appointment. After the financial achievements of the businessman who preceded him, Francis Baron, now was the time for a man who knew his rugby to build on the legacy. When he assumed his role in September, the positive noises intensified and reached a climax when he announced in January his plans for restructuring the RFU, whereby there would be three out of six heads of department directly concerned with rugby, as opposed to the pre-existing configuration of two out of eight. Rugby was back on the agenda. That, they said, was because Steele's pedigree in the game is sound. He played fly-half for Northampton for seven years from 1988, scoring more than 1,500 points, the club record before Paul Grayson came along. His involvement as a player with England, though, went no higher than A-team level – maybe that is why he was so keen on his fateful change to the performance director's job description. After a stint as director of rugby at London Scottish, he won the Heineken Cup in 2000 as the Saints' director of rugby and became chief executive of UK Sport in 2005. His successful career seemed to be extending to his role at the RFU, where he still enjoys widespread support. Unfortunately a minority of influential figures have withdrawn theirs.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:20
John Steele has left his role as the chief executive of the Rugby Football Union. Here are the key dates in his time at Twickenham:

June 2010: Steele is announced as the successor to Francis Baron as the RFU chief executive. The appointment of the former Northampton and England A fly-half is hailed as a progressive move.

1 December 2010: Steele sends a letter to England squad members, warning them that they risk missing out on selection if they choose to play outside of the country. The news does not prevent the fly-half Jonny Wilkinson signing a new two-year deal with Toulon, later the same month.

6 January 2011: Steele announces a radical organisational restructuring of the RFU, which includes the establishment of a new rugby department split into three sections: performance, operations and development. Rob Andrew's role as elite rugby director will be scrapped, leading many to name the World Cup-winning coach Sir Clive Woodward as the favourite for the performance role.

25 March: Andrew, who was encouraged to apply for the operations role, is successful in his application. The RFU also reveals that Steve Grainger will become its rugby development officer. The naming of the performance director is delayed, as some candidates – believed to included major international coaches, with Eddie Jones and Nick Mallett among the names linked – are unable to attend interviews due to "rugby commitments".

10 May: The RFU reveals changes to the job specification for the performance director role, removing any involvement with the senior England side. The job now only extends as far as the England Saxons, with the major focus being to help nurture talent before the 2015 World Cup, which will be held in England. Many observers see the move as a means of ruling Woodward out of the running.

12 May: RFU performs a rapid u-turn as the board reconvenes to reverse the decision to alter the performance director job specification, which returns to its original form.

13 May: The RFU chairman, Martyn Thomas, and Steele hold a meeting at Twickenham. The pair send a joint note to RFU council members, reiterating support for Steele's planned reforms.

19 May: Woodward rules himself out of the running for the job and commits himself to his role at the British Olympic Association.

24 May: RFU board, without Steele, launches an investigation into the recruitment process.

10 June: Steele leaves his role with the RFU, following an emergency board meeting.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:23
It will be interesting to see what kind of CEO Bill Sweeney is. Is he a radical reformer or a 'Don't Rock the Boat' kind of guy. 

I don't know him but I understand that he is coming to Caldy shortly so I may have the opportunity to find out.....................that is if the club let me in the clubhouse that weekend!
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:24
And I agree with you totally Big Eddie. Basically, it's all about what's called by psycholgists the Law of Minorities.  A small minority of motivated individuals have always been able to influence things way beyond what you'd expect. The indifference of the masses is one of the main causes. It's interesting stuff but again not really for here.  One thing I do know is that organising a large and diverse group of people, many with their own agendas, is a really, really tough and time consuming task. Good luck if you can manage it though!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:28

And I agree with you totally Big Eddie. Basically, it's all about what's called by psycholgists the Law of Minorities.  A small minority of motivated individuals have always been able to influence things way beyond what you'd expect. The indifference of the masses is one of the main causes. It's interesting stuff but again not really for here.  One thing I do know is that organising a large and diverse group of people, many with their own agendas, is a really, really tough and time consuming task. Good luck if you can manage it though!

It won't be me this year FC I am too busy with my business interests and being Welsh I may not be the ideal candidate to perform this feat. However when my business involvement subsides somewhat I would consider getting involved.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:57

It won't be me this year FC I am too busy with my business interests and being Welsh I may not be the ideal candidate to perform this feat. However when my business involvement subsides somewhat I would consider getting involved.

Eddie, you are hugely passionate about Caldy RFC and rugby in general below Level 2, you are an ideal candidate in my eyes ... like you too, business gets in the way for me .... and therein probably lies the knub of the problem, activists are often tied up on other projects ...

Right anyone out there, passionate about lower level rugby, doesn't need to work, agrees with Big Eddie and Clive Norling that the RFU are making a mess of running the game and has time to get 100 clubs coordinated to get their signatures and force an EGM, shouldn't be that difficult ...
touchlineexpert View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touchlineexpert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 13:57
Eddie,

What is it exactly you think the RFU should be doing to support grassroots clubs in your neck of the woods?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by touchlineexpert touchlineexpert wrote:

Eddie,

What is it exactly you think the RFU should be doing to support grassroots clubs in your neck of the woods?

1) Not cutting back on travel expenses, in fact, paying a far greater percentage than they are now, to EVERY club who is in a league at whatever level
2) Not asking clubs to pay for match officials
3) Spending money on training match officials
4) Building the 100 x 4G pitches THEY PROMISED after RWC 2015
5) Reducing the cost of Test match tickets
6) Increasing the test match ticket allowance to clubs
7) Getting a website that works and doesn't need a degree in IT to use when you're a volunteer
8) Not playing all England games at Twickenham, make the game accessible to everyone, wherever they are in the country
9) Organising a proper 2nd team league, instead of leaving it up to the clubs
10) Re employ all those RDO's that they sacked, so as they can get back out in the field, spread the game and get more participation, instead again of leaving it to the clubs ...

That is off the top of my head without even thinking deeply about it, Big Eddie though might have totally different views ....   
pen 15 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen 15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 14:45
I should think you will be sitting next to him,might put him off his pot noodle though
is it stours year yet
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 14:56

It will be interesting to see what kind of CEO Bill Sweeney is. Is he a radical reformer or a 'Don't Rock the Boat' kind of guy. 

I don't know him but I understand that he is coming to Caldy shortly so I may have the opportunity to find out.....................that is if the club let me in the clubhouse that weekend!

I bet he is a "yes" man ....
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 14:57
Originally posted by pen 15 pen 15 wrote:

I should think you will be sitting next to him,might put him off his pot noodle though

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic