National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship 2020-2021 signings and departures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Championship 2020-2021 signings and departures
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 16:43
Jordy Reid from Ealing to Gloucester next year.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 17:20
But the championship does not porduce any Premiership players. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 17:58
He was playing Super Rugby before the Championship.....not really produced by the Championship
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 18:55
Helped on his way then, 

Edited by KnightsBoy - 05 Mar 2020 at 18:55
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 19:28
Showcased 
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 08:58
Yes, extract from BBC website: 

"We've been looking for a certain type of player," director of rugby David Humphreys told the Gloucester website.

"Jordy has been one of the standout players in the Championship over the past couple of seasons and, having watched him play for Ealing this season, I believe the Gloucester Rugby supporters will love his style of play."

pappashanga
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:52
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Showcased 

Even more than that, he was given the opportunity to get back into Rugby when he'd been out for a year due to injury, and pretty much left on the scrap heap. I'm sad to see him go, but glad to see that he can go on. Though caveat emptor to Gloucester, he is still relatively injury prone (out at the moment, and had a good stint out last year as well).
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 16:43
Cornish Pirates Canadian International Matt Evans has announced his retirement from the game. Matt scored 62 tries in 130 appearances for the club and played in the 2011 and 2015 world cups for Canada. The good news is that he is staying at the club to become team manager.

No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:06
Originally posted by Welshie7 Welshie7 wrote:

He was playing Super Rugby before the Championship.....not really produced by the Championship

Jordy Reid improved his rugby at Ealing . There was a marked difference in his ball carrying and defence. His stats show how many dominant tackles he makes and it was on an upwatd trend over two seasons.

Ealing could never claim that he was 'produced' by them but his game was enhanced whilst playing for Ealing Trailfinders over two seasons of Championship rugby.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 09:50
Not a player role, but:
James Scaysbrook to join Cov as Defence Coach for next season.
Our City,
Our Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 09:03
https://www.jerseyreds.je/news_article/neil-tunnah-set-to-leave-jersey-reds-this-summer/[URL= ][/URL]
Jersey Reds Forwards Coach Neil Tunnah has signalled his intention to move on to a new assignment at the end of the current season.
Reds Director of Rugby Harvey Biljon said he would like to thank Tunnah for his contribution over the last three seasons and wish his colleague every success in the next stage of his career.
Biljon said: “I would like to say that while Neil has challenged and brought new ideas, he has also been a fantastic support to me during his time with the Reds. He has had a really positive influence on the players and enhanced our reputation of continuing to transition players from the Championship up to the Premiership.”
Tunnah said: “I’d like to thank everyone at The Reds for the last three seasons in Jersey, particularly Harvey and the club for the opportunity to relocate here and challenge myself as a coach in a new environment.
“The club has played a huge part in my development as a coach at this stage of my career. Over the course of the last three seasons I have been challenged to think and coach in ways that will shape my coaching for the rest of my career.
“I would also like to thank the rest of the staff for their support, as well as the rugby community and supporters of the club.”
Tunnah, 40, moved to Jersey in May 2017 and in the two completed seasons since his arrival the Reds finished fifth and fourth in the Greene King IPA Championship rankings. The Scotsman returned to Europe after seven years coaching in Australia following the conclusion of his playing career in 2010.

A top bloke who will be hugely missed.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 17 Mar 2020 at 09:04
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 06:56
Further to the above, the Reds have confirmed a new Forwards Coach, ex-England hooker Rob Webber:

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 17:03
Okay - raft of re-signings announced by Ealing in their Ealing Trailfinder Times magazine: Pat Howard, Rayn Smid, Steven Shingler, Alun Walker and Jack Tovey all re-sign for 20/21.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 13:53
Alun Walker and Ryan Smid re-sign for Ealing on 2 and 3 year deals. 

Reon Joseph, has decided to follow at alternate career path outside rugby and has retired. Very promising winger.
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 14:17
Good to read that Billy V is staying at Saracens next season. 
Looking forward to seeing him back and fully fit
Come on Jersey........
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 14:23
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Reon Joseph, has decided to follow at alternate career path outside rugby and has retired. Very promising winger.

Talk about mixed news. I'm honestly shocked by the Reon Joseph decision. He was a 21 year old winger who started every game but one this season and finished 4th in tries in the Championship. A real blow for Ealing as I think he was their nailed on starter for the next few years in terms of planning, with the worry being that someone would poach him not that he would retire!  A local lad who came through the academy system at Ealing as well, he was a real fan favorite. I hope he doesn't come to regret this decision - I think we all made some bad ones in our early 20s.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Talk about mixed news. I'm honestly shocked by the Reon Joseph decision. He was a 21 year old winger who started every game but one this season and finished 4th in tries in the Championship. A real blow for Ealing as I think he was their nailed on starter for the next few years in terms of planning, with the worry being that someone would poach him not that he would retire!  A local lad who came through the academy system at Ealing as well, he was a real fan favorite. I hope he doesn't come to regret this decision - I think we all made some bad ones in our early 20s.

I have been told that he was approached by several premiership teams but wants to pursue his love of digital imaging CGI. I think in the current climate and uncertainty in Rugby he has made the correct decision. The injuries are increasing it seems at the higher levels. He is young enough in a year or two to come back if he wants to.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 21:00
Retiring at 21 is a shame; I guess there is the possibility of playing at a decent level in Nat 1 (maybe even Ch'ship) as a semi-pro player, for a player who didn't want to give up the game...
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 08:35
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Retiring at 21 is a shame; I guess there is the possibility of playing at a decent level in Nat 1 (maybe even Ch'ship) as a semi-pro player, for a player who didn't want to give up the game...

I think that'll be a very real possibility, to be fair.

What do you want to do ?
New mail< id="mailtoEmail">Copy< id="mailtoClipboardTo">
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I think that'll be a very real possibility, to be fair.

What do you want to do ?
New mail< id="mailtoEmail">Copy< id="mailtoClipboardTo">

A person has a very limited number of years at peak physical condition (unless you are Mark Bright), and I think that goes double for a winger who relies on speed. He'll have the rest of his life to sit in a cubicle. I don't know his circumstances or whether there might be any underlying injuries, but I hope he has really thought about that aspect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
  Share Topic