National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Season over

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 13:16
Not disagreeing with you Raider. I referred to that earlier the thread when I published part of clause 13 of the rule book but One would hope that a modicum of common sense will be applied.
I hope that, as in law, the term “beyond reasonable doubt” would apply.
If you applied that :
Saracens down
Newcastle up
Leeds down
Canterbury down
Hull Ionians down
Caldy up

Then the fun starts......Come and have a look what league you should be playing in (Jim Bowen)
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 15:42
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Rich13 Rich13 wrote:

So what happens now....Richmond up, Leeds down, Caldy & Taunton up, Ionians & Canterbury down. 

No playoff possible, so just 2 down....? 

Sounds reasonable - possibly with the exception of Taunton - far too close IMO in N2S, need to look at it seriously.

I cant see that the Nat2S positions would change. Taunton have a tough trip to Bury, but then so do Henley whilst Tonbridge have a tough trip to Leicester. 

If we assumed they all lost those games, but picked up a point or two, Redruth (who are the form team) would still be at least a point behind and importantly they would probably need try bonus points to win the league, something they have shown over the course of the season they are not good at  Of the remaining 4 games, Taunton would have 3 home games (where  they have been pretty imperious) and 1 away and in those 4 matches would be facing the bottom 3 sides in the league. I have no doubt that Redruth may well win all their remaining matches, but I think it will be too late in terms of top spot. It seems that a February drop in form did for both Henley and Tonbridge.
dwinpenn View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwinpenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 19:12
What is going to be interesting is how teams rebuild for next season!
There will be many contracted players who will have become uncontracted in the past few days as clubs cannot afford to keep them on with no revenue coming in. Similar for other employed staff I would imagine. 

So next season could be all bets are off kind of year.

Dave Winpenny
"Confused and old"
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 22:14
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

Not disagreeing with you Raider. I referred to that earlier the thread when I published part of clause 13 of the rule book but One would hope that a modicum of common sense will be applied.
I hope that, as in law, the term “beyond reasonable doubt” would apply.
If you applied that :
Saracens down
Newcastle up
Leeds down
Canterbury down
Hull Ionians down
Caldy up

Then the fun starts......Come and have a look what league you should be playing in (Jim Bowen)

Rothman2,
The RFU will do what ever it wants to but the NCA regs are clear, at the end of the season the bottom three clubs in Nat 1.  will be relegated. I believe the Regs in place at the begining of the season will be adhered to now the season is over. Common sense.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 23:31
With respect Sid I suggest you read the regs again. It does say that three go down but that is in a normal situation. Please look at my earlier posting and I quote:

13.1.3 In the event that the committee feels that it is in the interests of Rugby Union Football or an RFU Competition, it may amend or vary RFU Regulation 13 and the Appendices and/or make further regulations during a Season:

(a) where in the view of the Committee exceptional and material circumstances have occurred during any RFU Competition which either have not been provided for or cannot be equitably dealt with under RFU Regulation 13 (particularly if promotion or relegation is likely to be materially affected), the Committee may at its own instigation introduce regulations for the current Season and/or determine the results of matches that have not been played for reasons related to the above exceptional and material circumstances and/or determine which Clubs should or should not be relegated);

(b) any regulation or decision made or taken by the Committee under this Regulation 13.1.3 shall become final and binding unless any person or Club affected has given notice of an appeal to the RFU Head of Discipline within 48 hours of that person or Club affected being made aware of it and an Appeal Panel rules that the regulation or decision of the Committee shall not apply.

Would you not agree that these are exceptional circumstances? Let me be clear if we had finished the season, i.e. after 30 games, in the bottom 3 then we go down and I don’t believe one Roth fan would complain. In fact the lower league, being more local, would save money and create bigger crowds, but that is not in any way an official view, simply another opinion. We were 13 points behind Moseley only recently. We are now only 4 points behind with 5 games to go. It is by no means cut and dried,but neither is the situation at the top of Division 2 South. There isn’t a single team running away with it in the same way as say, Hartpury, a while back and Rams last season, and the 25-0 performance by Caldy in N2 North this year. 

No one is assured of a top placed or second placed finish in N2S and as you know there would then need to be a play off. However, neither North or South can say with certainty who at this point who the second team will be, in the same way that you cannot say with certainty that we would be relegated. Also there can be no play off so there cannot be a winner.

They could freeze the leagues and do as you say, and I accept the terminology in section 13 of the rules, they could even erase the results but I believe the RFU will look at this in a special light. This situation has never arisen before so if this is not a special case I move to suggest that the above clause would never be applied.

Finally, I have shared much debate on this forum in the past, and with all the recent heartbreaking events around the world, and the fear of what havoc this awful virus can still reap, many would ask what I am doing on a Rugby forum debating trivial issues. It is just a game. 

Well it is just a game but sport to me, is much more than that and it (and particularly Rotherham Rugby) have given me some of the most wonderful times and memories. Fantastic players and people. Whatever happens the memories of those wonderful years will never leave me.

So to all the Rugby World, supporters, players, officials and all connected with the game, stay safe and hopefully we will all come through it at the other end and look forward to resumption of old rivalries in the not too distant future.

Edited by Rothman2 - 21 Mar 2020 at 23:39
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 08:20
There are some good suggestions as to what to do with relegations and promotions..........but unfortunately you are all wasting your grey cells....!!! the RFU will decide what will happen so we will just have to wait and see what a total and utter clusterf%ck they will make of it....... Just look at the Leeds affair last season, the Saracens affair and the Championship mess.....
Leeds to be promoted to the Premiership( so many Yorkshiremen in the RFU)
Saracens to remain in the Premiership....
Caldy relagated to NW 5
Richmond deducted 105 points....just for having the barefaced audacity to question the RFU over the Leeds debacle!!!!
Who knows what the Really Fu%%in Useless will do...
Sorry for the rant but the pubs closed and I have had a conversation with the wife.....6 minutes was enough!!!!!!
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 08:32
Will some of the professional players qualify for the £2500/month that teh Chancellor has promised to employees affected by the virus ?
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 08:41
Rant No. 2......
We all love the game of Rugby.....we all want our teams to do well......promotion and glory are so important to so many........
But look at the bigger picture.......over the next 4-5 weeks thousands of people could die in the UK, families devistated by the loss of life, communities wrecked by unemployment. Just look at what is happening in Italy and Spain.........We all love Rugby, the game will still be there in months to come whilst many people will not.
If lawsuits proliferate it will only line the pockets of dispicable lawyers........
Into the second day of Prohibition.....looking for a Speakeasy..........
stonehousealbion View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonehousealbion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 09:57
In normal circumstances, a team can win a league after 30 games by a single point and there will be no discussion. Equally, there are complicated additional regs as to what happens if you have a points tie at the conclusion of playing. With all contenders in Nat 2S having played 25 games, neither of those scenarios apply.

Putting aside the crazy notion that the powers that be will try to play God and decide the outcomes of the 40 odd cancelled league fixtures plus a post season play-off with its own particular dynamics, I sincerely hope that they will take the least worst option; i) promote the "automatic" top slots, and ii) cancel the second place decider, exceptionally doing away with the third relegee/promotee.

All contenders at Level 4 are equally disadvantaged. Rotherham would appear to be the only party "unfairly" advantaged by this aberration.

I am open to other objective interpretations of "least worst".

And as an aside, this board is a wholly suitable forum for discussion given the current lack of alternative opportunities/venues. No-one appears to be arguing about the unilateral cessation of the season; we are merely debating the loose ends of a lower order conundrum brought on by the current situation.
Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:48
Lots of interesting ideas. There’s no right or wrong just something reasonably fair in difficult circumstances.
This blog is here for us to air our views and keep each other entertained.
I’m sure that whatever the RFU decide will annoy someone.

pappashanga
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 14:36
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

With respect Sid I suggest you read the regs again. It does say that three go down but that is in a normal situation. Please look at my earlier posting and I quote:

13.1.3 In the event that the committee feels that it is in the interests of Rugby Union Football or an RFU Competition, it may amend or vary RFU Regulation 13 and the Appendices and/or make further regulations during a Season:

(a) where in the view of the Committee exceptional and material circumstances have occurred during any RFU Competition which either have not been provided for or cannot be equitably dealt with under RFU Regulation 13 (particularly if promotion or relegation is likely to be materially affected), the Committee may at its own instigation introduce regulations for the current Season and/or determine the results of matches that have not been played for reasons related to the above exceptional and material circumstances and/or determine which Clubs should or should not be relegated);

(b) any regulation or decision made or taken by the Committee under this Regulation 13.1.3 shall become final and binding unless any person or Club affected has given notice of an appeal to the RFU Head of Discipline within 48 hours of that person or Club affected being made aware of it and an Appeal Panel rules that the regulation or decision of the Committee shall not apply.

Would you not agree that these are exceptional circumstances? Let me be clear if we had finished the season, i.e. after 30 games, in the bottom 3 then we go down and I don’t believe one Roth fan would complain. In fact the lower league, being more local, would save money and create bigger crowds, but that is not in any way an official view, simply another opinion. We were 13 points behind Moseley only recently. We are now only 4 points behind with 5 games to go. It is by no means cut and dried,but neither is the situation at the top of Division 2 South. There isn’t a single team running away with it in the same way as say, Hartpury, a while back and Rams last season, and the 25-0 performance by Caldy in N2 North this year. 

No one is assured of a top placed or second placed finish in N2S and as you know there would then need to be a play off. However, neither North or South can say with certainty who at this point who the second team will be, in the same way that you cannot say with certainty that we would be relegated. Also there can be no play off so there cannot be a winner.

They could freeze the leagues and do as you say, and I accept the terminology in section 13 of the rules, they could even erase the results but I believe the RFU will look at this in a special light. This situation has never arisen before so if this is not a special case I move to suggest that the above clause would never be applied.

Finally, I have shared much debate on this forum in the past, and with all the recent heartbreaking events around the world, and the fear of what havoc this awful virus can still reap, many would ask what I am doing on a Rugby forum debating trivial issues. It is just a game. 

Well it is just a game but sport to me, is much more than that and it (and particularly Rotherham Rugby) have given me some of the most wonderful times and memories. Fantastic players and people. Whatever happens the memories of those wonderful years will never leave me.

So to all the Rugby World, supporters, players, officials and all connected with the game, stay safe and hopefully we will all come through it at the other end and look forward to resumption of old rivalries in the not too distant future.

Rothman2,
I am well aware of Reg.13 and I agree that these are exceptional circumstances. 
You have your opinion and I have mine. Both are pure speculation. The season is officially at an end and I see sticking to the NCA regs that are in place as the solution that will be adopted. Time, and the RFU, will tell.
I admire your optimism and applaud your love of the game.
Stay safe and see you next season.
All Knwoing All Seeing
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by Camp Freddie Camp Freddie wrote:

Will some of the professional players qualify for the £2500/month that teh Chancellor has promised to employees affected by the virus ?

If their sole income then yes, clubs are a business
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 13:40
Only if they are paid on the books under PAYE and not self employed, not sure if it would cover pay to play as that’s probably the equivalent of zero hour contract
So many Christians not enough Lions
WINGER14 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WINGER14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 22:59
This season, with the total shutdown of all Rugby Union, is something that hasn't happened before, so should current Regs apply.  This season, hopefully, is a one-Off.  We'll find out if this is correct come Aug / Sep, when the Coronavirus might still be rampant.
The season finished on the day the RFU abandoned it.  There can be NO play-offs as most players, unless re-signed, will be out of contract at the end of April.
Teams that are currently in promotion or Relegation places should move up or down.  No one can say now, how any unplayed game Might have ended or how League positions Might have changed.  Trying to work out all the possible permutations of what Might have happened if the Wind was blowing in the right direction, would take an Einstein working at the RFU, and we all know that non of them are working there.
When it comes to the 3rd Club being promoted to Nat 1, how could that be decided, when there can't be a play-off game. No game, No result, No promotion.  I'd like to see this happen.

I'm  A Rotherham Titans supporter, so maybe I'm a Tad biased.
With 3 of our last 4 games at Home, and on a good run of picking up points, I would have been confident that we could have avoided relegation had the season been played out.
I wish the decisions to be made were in the Lap of the Gods instead of in the Hands of the RFU, but whatever the decisions, we should accept them and just hope that our Clubs survive to the commencement of play, whenever that may be.

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 18:33
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

The English League's will be taken to be completed as they stand today and the NCA regulations that were in place at the begining of the season will be adhered to. 
YC will still exist next season but in Nat 1. and re-named as Leeds Tykes. Richmond will deservedly go back into the Championship having been robbed of their place last season.
Caldy will go up to Nat 1. along with Taunton & Tonbridge who have a better record than Fylde
Sorry Rotherham but you are coming down with us to N2N, to enjoy some good old Yorkshire derby's. Canterbury down to N2S.
Preston & Scunny definitely down from N2N but Otley may yet get a reprieve. Bottom 3 down in N2S.
Good luck to everyone for next season. 

I don't really like people saying "I told you so" but I did tell you 2 weeks ago.
See you next season Rotherham. Never mind, 6 Yorkshire derby games to look forward to next season.
Sorry Otley, I think the virus has put a block on your possible reprieve. 

Lets just hope we can get started again in September.
All the best everyone.

Edited by Sid James - 03 Apr 2020 at 18:34
All Knwoing All Seeing
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 18:41
No hard feelings Sid. There’s a lot more to be worried about right now.
Lots of local derbies and great for the coffers......whenever it starts again. I just worry that when it does start how many clubs might be missing. Think the face of the landscape will be quite different. In the meantime it is just a game and stay safe people.

Ps congratulations Caldy.

Ps you got one bit wrong Sid. Otley are relegated.

Edited by Rothman2 - 03 Apr 2020 at 18:42
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 18:53
I will miss going to Roth  a real rugby club who looked after the alikadoos so well. I shall miss the people, the food and the beer.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 19:59
Originally posted by Moseley Mauler Moseley Mauler wrote:

I will miss going to Roth  a real rugby club who looked after the alikadoos so well. I shall miss the people, the food and the beer.

Wot 'e said.  Be back soon.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 20:17
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

See you next season Rotherham. Never mind, 6 Yorkshire derby games to look forward to next season.

Arguably someone from Surrey isn't qualified to comment, but I make it 7 Yorkshire teams in N2N: Roth, Ionians, Hull, Wharfedale, Huddersfield, Sheffield T, Harrogate
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 20:30
yes but sids team will still only play 6 other teams so 6 derby games to look forward to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic