National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Promotion
    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 14:38
Front page article in the Rugby Paper tomorrow is Ealing threatening to sue the RFU if Newcastle are granted promotion, which is widely believed to be the case with Saracens still relegated. 

Just think this is really poor timing and form from Ealing. I think any reasonable observer can say Newcastle had the league sewn up. They weren’t losing any matches other than maybe against Ealing and they would’ve needed to lose at least another 2 matches even if they lost that. Ben Ward also claimed Ealing had a game in hand against YC. Well Newcastle still had to play them too? Given all of the financial difficulties clubs are about to face I just think some common sense can be applied here and threatening to sue the RFU at a time when clubs up and down the country will needs some financial support is an incredibly selfish approach to the situation. 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 14:52
I did say the lawyers would come out but I didn't expect it this early, nor from Ealing of all clubs. Plus I think they don't really have much of a case compared to some other clubs in other league who would rightfully feel hard done by if that occurred. 

Plus you know that any clubs who have wealthy backers (I don't know much about Ealing so won't count them in this), will dip into their personal pockets to fund these lawsuits which will lead to some morally unjust decisions being made. The RFU have a tough enough job as it is. 
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 15:51
Very surprised by this move, if it’s true. Surely even the most one-eyed optimist at Ealing doesn’t honestly believe Newcastle can be caught. Could it be a backdoor attempt to keep Saracens in the Premiership by preventing any promotion from the Championship? Newcastle could have more difficulty retaining their strength in depth during a second Championship season sans parachute payment, possibly making them more vulnerable.
Notwithstanding, it’s not a good look.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 16:35
Very disappointing if true.
From what I'm reading in the papers a number of premiership clubs may go bust, possibly championship sides as well, so rugby could be in line for a big shake up.

OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 16:44
If true, disgraceful behaviour by Ealing.
If false, equally disgraceful behaviour by TRP.
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 17:18

Everyone seems to be very quick to judge but if true i suspect it is Ealing putting the RFU on notice it needs to follow procedures and be transparent rather than doing whatever it feels like with no accountability as it did with YC, the recent cuts in funding and their treatment of the Rams. 

Given their past form the RFU will be looking to exploit the current situation rather than assist so do not expect them to come riding to the aid of anything below the premiership

Why doesn't the RFU management follow other business leaders and take 50% paycuts to assist our game or to them their business which they have been dragging into loss making for years?

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 21:22
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Front page article in the Rugby Paper tomorrow is Ealing threatening to sue the RFU if Newcastle are granted promotion, which is widely believed to be the case with Saracens still relegated. 

Just think this is really poor timing and form from Ealing. I think any reasonable observer can say Newcastle had the league sewn up. They weren’t losing any matches other than maybe against Ealing and they would’ve needed to lose at least another 2 matches even if they lost that. Ben Ward also claimed Ealing had a game in hand against YC. Well Newcastle still had to play them too? Given all of the financial difficulties clubs are about to face I just think some common sense can be applied here and threatening to sue the RFU at a time when clubs up and down the country will needs some financial support is an incredibly selfish approach to the situation. 

Note, the "Game in hand" statement refers to the fact that the Ealing vs. Leeds match was cancelled in round 15, while Newcastle played their match in round 15. I think there was a virtually nil chance of anyone catching Newcastle, but it was closer than the 18 point margin looks. Ealing had 18 wins, 2 losses and a draw in all competitions - a pretty tidy season.

Edited by gerg_861 - 21 Mar 2020 at 21:22
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 08:22
There are some good suggestions as to what to do with relegations and promotions..........but unfortunately you are all wasting your grey cells....!!! the RFU will decide what will happen so we will just have to wait and see what a total and utter clusterf%ck they will make of it....... Just look at the Leeds affair last season, the Saracens affair and the Championship mess.....
Leeds to be promoted to the Premiership( so many Yorkshiremen in the RFU)
Saracens to remain in the Premiership....
Caldy relagated to NW 5
Richmond deducted 105 points....just for having the barefaced audacity to question the RFU over the Leeds debacle!!!!
Who knows what the Really Fu%%in Useless will do...
Sorry for the rant but the pubs closed and I have had a conversation with the wife.....6 minutes was enough!!!!!!
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 08:31
Rant No. 2......
We all love the game of Rugby.....we all want our teams to do well......promotion and glory are so important to so many........
But look at the bigger picture.......over the next 4-5 weeks thousands of people could die in the UK, families devistated by the loss of life, communities wrecked by unemployment. Just look at what is happening in Italy and Spain.........We all love Rugby, the game will still be there in months to come whilst many people will not.
If lawsuits proliferate it will only line the pockets of dispicable lawyers........
Into the second day of Prohibition.....looking for a Speakeasy 
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 09:12
I favour a pre-season playoff between Four clubs - Sarries, Falcons, Ealing & Pirates or Cov and whichever team comes out top at the end of it I would then promote Falcons anyway. I would also give the TV money from broadcasting all the matches which should be huge to the other Championship clubs. Stay safe & lonely lads & lasses - my outdoor Jersey Royals & Asparagus are great this year.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 17:52
I just wonder what the stance would be if by some miracle Ealing Trailfinders were one point ahead of the Newcastle Falcons when the season was shut down . I have no idea what Ealing Trailfinders are going to do and do not believe for a second that they would be successful but someone needs to stand up against the RFU. 

Certain clubs are resigned to the Championship and have no ambition ( and I understand why and just how difficult it is  ) I think that Ealing Trailfinders chance of ever making the Premiership is behind them . The gap is wider than ever.

I am extremely proud of my club and what they achieved and we have been blessed with a financial backer like no other. Twenty years of investment into the team and the facilities . I think that if they take the RFU to task over their running and administration of leagues it is well deserved and someone really needs to do it.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 18:55
I would suggest Ealing's potential legal action against the RFU would be completely pointless and a waste of good money. 

Regardless NF have proved to be by far the best team in the Championship. There are no winners in this current awful situation.
Run with it
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 19:47
The phrase 'strongly-worded statement' doesn't quite do this justice...

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 20:06
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

The phrase 'strongly-worded statement' doesn't quite do this justice...

Basically "if you sue, we'll sue."
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 21:06
I have no allegiance to the Falcons or Dean Richards but I wholeheartedly endorse this message.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 21:08
Dean Richards 
“Anyone with any sense of reason or fairness"LOL
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 22:08
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Dean Richards 
Yeah, well, you hope he's learned a lesson or two over the years 
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 23:40
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Dean Richards 
Yeah, well, you hope he's learned a lesson or two over the years 
Still the bully-boy he was on the Hinckley and Lutterworth beats 30-odd years ago I'd imagine.
Wouldn't pish on him...
Our City,
Our Club
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 07:42
The Rugby Paper really is a horrible rag on par with The Sun. 
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 00:53
I put a few Falcons fans right on Facebook when they were boasting they’ve battered every single team, every single game. I pointed out that in fact they haven’t and the points difference in fact has been as low as 4 points. Yes they’ve had a good season but some of their fans are breathtakingly short sighted when it comes to some of their shortcomings.
Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic