National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Your changes to the laws

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:06
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

remove lifting from the line-out

What is the rationale for this?

With lifting, line-outs have:

1). Become an athletic spectacle;
2). Remained competitive;
3). Become much easier to police;
4). Become a great source of varied first phase attacking ball.

What’s not to like?

Have they?  How many line outs are lost by the throwing in side?

The jiggery pokery of players running around from back to front and back again slows the line out down.

How often is won line out ball shipped directly to the backs, rather than gathered up the forwards?

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:28
1 )Enforce the being ONSIDE from the kick off / restart.
2) 30 seconds for a kick at goal, not the age some take for re positioning the tee, twitching, staring up yo heaven etc.
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:30
Allow the driving maul to be collapsed by the defending team. The vast majority of driving mauls end up as a heap of bodies on the floor whether deliberately or accidentally with no serious injuries incurred. If this was introduced we would be going back towards a fundamental of the game ie there must be a contest for possession as opposed to the 'legal' obstruction that mauls currently are. This would mean attacking teams would have to get better at mauling/shearing to avoid collapse or even give the ball to the backs more often-win/win!
Blutarsky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blutarsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 13:20
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Allow the driving maul to be collapsed by the defending team. The vast majority of driving mauls end up as a heap of bodies on the floor whether deliberately or accidentally with no serious injuries incurred. If this was introduced we would be going back towards a fundamental of the game ie there must be a contest for possession as opposed to the 'legal' obstruction that mauls currently are. This would mean attacking teams would have to get better at mauling/shearing to avoid collapse or even give the ball to the backs more often-win/win!

See Bill Beaumont Cup 2007 when this was trialled - it was ugly. 

Devon won it by ignoring the rule and mauling anyway, just with a longer, thinner maul. Every attempted collapse took the head off and allowed an advance.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by Full Bodied Red Full Bodied Red wrote:

Reduce substitutes and allow them to be used only for injuries. I’m aware this won’t be popular.

Or easy to administer I'm afraid. How would you tell a genuine injury from a tactical one?

I would go with reducing the number of replacements though.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 14:47
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Reduce substitutes and allow them to be used only for injuries. I’m aware this won’t be popular.

Or easy to administer I'm afraid. How would you tell a genuine injury from a tactical one?

Advice from an independent doctor appointed as part of the match official long team.
RAID ON
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 18:47
Have you thought through how many doctors you would require to enforce that rule in all leagues. 
1.I would suggest free kick at a scrum the team cannot ask for a reset but take the penalty. Taken quickly will speed up the game. 
2. Only penalties kicked from your own half can result in The team who took the penalty could throw in . 3. Penalties kicked to touch in opponents half result int he defenders throwing in. 
4. No charging into rucks and hitting stationery players.

Dobber View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 20:59
The scrum reset tops my list. When there can be 5 or more minutes of an 80 minute game spent on organised falling over with nothing happening it's not exactly helping us to persuade others that the game's full of excitement. Clock needs to be stopped and a free kick awarded to one side if it gets to three resets without any improvement, regardless of players moaning about the condition of the pitch and their studs not holding. 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 21:01
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Have you thought through how many doctors you would require to enforce that rule in all leagues. 
1.I would suggest free kick at a scrum the team cannot ask for a reset but take the penalty. Taken quickly will speed up the game. 
2. Only penalties kicked from your own half can result in The team who took the penalty could throw in . 3. Penalties kicked to touch in opponents half result int he defenders throwing in. 
4. No charging into rucks and hitting stationery players.

Trouble with 2 and 3 is the defending side can frequently offend knowing the attacking side can't kick to the corner and rumble over
RAID ON
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 22:01
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

What about no replacements to be used after 60 minutes. Any player 'injured' and who leaves the field, can be replaced but then automatically misses two games. Should cut down on any 'cheating' of the system. 

Advice from an independent doctor appointed as part of the match official long team.
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 08:39
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Any player 'injured' and who leaves the field, can be replaced but then automatically misses two games. Should cut down on any 'cheating' of the system.

I've been saying this for a long time, although my immediate counter-argument is that players will play on through the pain because they don't want to be stood down for the next two games - or maybe would be under pressure from their coaches to stay on for the same reason - and would cause themselves greater long-term damage.

WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 15:12
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Any player 'injured' and who leaves the field, can be replaced but then automatically misses two games. Should cut down on any 'cheating' of the system.

I've been saying this for a long time, although my immediate counter-argument is that players will play on through the pain because they don't want to be stood down for the next two games - or maybe would be under pressure from their coaches to stay on for the same reason - and would cause themselves greater long-term damage.

Agree with the problems of players playing on injured. 

Without the need to stand down for subsequent games though all a player would need to do is tell the independent doctor that his neck aches and he needs to come off. The doc couldn't prove otherwise and would he be prepared to risk his professional reputation by telling a player he isn't really injured thus risking potentially serious injury?

Sorry but this idea just isn't sensible or practical. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic