National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

London & SE season 2020-21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 16:08
Over the past 2 years Dorking RFC have raised substantial funds through it members, sponsors, donors and via fundraising to finance the improvement of the clubhouse. This was to cover the cost of creating a new Clubhouse entrance facing the car park, a state of the art medical and fitness rooms, and a viewing balcony on the first floor from the main dining room etc. The original plan was to commence work at the end of the 2019/20 season, however because of the early shutdown and uncertain future the plans have been delayed until end of 2020/21 season. The whole process has been part of a re-development plan that has taken much longer in its planning with time and strategic thinking ahead to enable the club to provide benefit and advantages to its members and visitors. We are a fortunate and well managed club, but with all the talk on this site of clubs 'possibly going to the wall' and potential mergers, whilst nobody could have expected the effects of this disastrous pandemic, surely every club has to build in a contingency fund to cover every worst case scenario that might happen. Just a thought not any criticism intended.   
Fezantplucker
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 18:16
A nice thought Fez Ant but the idea that rugby clubs across the land are sat on "contingency funds" just in case a bomb drops really is a bit naive - what you have done at Dorking is admirable but you will be very much the exception rather than the rule

Edited by Thatbloke - 20 May 2020 at 20:25
Truwblue View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truwblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:32
Agree with fatbloke. Most clubs finances are close to the wire. However if they budgeted properly (in a normal year!) they can pretty much forecast turnover and profits etc. Covid is a bolt out of the blue. I see some clubs have resorted to crowdfunding to get through the summer. Any club relying on wedding rentals/shows/camping/rugby festivals etc are in for a shock and may see crowdfunding as the only solution.

Edited by Truwblue - 21 May 2020 at 19:05
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 15:10
Is there any truth in a rumour or possibility of Community rugby NOT happening for 20/21 season and that only Professional rugby will take place. Has anyone heard this on the grapevine.?
Fezantplucker
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 15:23
Originally posted by FEZ ANT PLUCKER FEZ ANT PLUCKER wrote:

Is there any truth in a rumour or possibility of Community rugby NOT happening for 20/21 season and that only Professional rugby will take place. Has anyone heard this on the grapevine.?

No - but it wouldn't surprise me if January was the start time, with half a normal season.
RAID ON
Oldman1 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 15:44
Raider, agree. I expect pre season from mid-November then leagues playing Jan to April. each play each other once with an extra game against the nearest team to make equal home and away games.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 16:30
I think that is the best case.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 17:11
Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

Raider, agree. I expect pre season from mid-November then leagues playing Jan to April. each play each other once with an extra game against the nearest team to make equal home and away games.

Exactly as I previously suggested in a different thread.

If this is the case, I would like to see Promotion/Relegation reduced for this season only.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 17:13
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I think that is the best case.

Camquin, yes unfortunately I have to agree. If a January start isn't possible I suspect the season might be written off entirely.
RAID ON
sidelined View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidelined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 17:33
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

Exactly as I previously suggested in a different thread.

If this is the case, I would like to see Promotion/Relegation reduced for this season only.

I suspect that, if the RFU has it's way, Promotion/Relegation will be superfluous, due to league restructure.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 18:54

What a load of bull. I wouldn't believe it. If anything, they should focus more on community rugby rather than pro-rugby just like cricket are looking at. Or even better, just let the season start as normal like Belarussian football is continuing as normal.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 20:20
Robb there is considerable difference in the amount of physical contact involved in community cricket and community rugby. They may want to focus on community rugby but if they cannot satisfy the government/RFU guidelines around contact sport it will not happy. I cannot see many community rugby clubs being able to afford to test squads before training or matches-the only way they are considering allowing the professional teams to train and play.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 20:43
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

What a load of bull. I wouldn't believe it. If anything, they should focus more on community rugby rather than pro-rugby just like cricket are looking at. Or even better, just let the season start as normal like Belarussian football is continuing as normal.

Not sure Belarus is a good example, with a dictator and censorship. 
Cauliflower ear.
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 23:12
If the muted promise of a test with 20min result comes to fruition then a test pre game (or on the Friday) would make the game playable without any modifications
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:34
Originally posted by Dad Dad wrote:

If the muted promise of a test with 20min result comes to fruition then a test pre game (or on the Friday) would make the game playable without any modifications
If Nat 1 & 2 football teams are saying they cant afford ongoing COVID testing for their players to be able to play games, I can't see community rugby being able to afford it.

As an aside, I do suspect that we won't get to play competitive games until Jan'21 at the earliest.
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:49

Not the cricket I'm involved in - top level club cricket might start in July (but not that hopeful currently) - pro-cricket likely to resume in July.

However, I would say Cricket can self-distance far easier than Rugby.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by Cannon Cannon wrote:

If Nat 1 & 2 football teams are saying they cant afford ongoing COVID testing for their players to be able to play games, I can't see community rugby being able to afford it.

As an aside, I do suspect that we won't get to play competitive games until Jan'21 at the earliest.

Unfortunately, I totally agree - unless a vaccine becomes available in the near future.

If a vaccine becomes widely available in the next 3 months then an earlier resumption may be possible with those who have been vaccinated allowed to participate/watch?
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:53

Cost?
RAID ON
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:51
Lets hope Astra Zeneca hold the key and that Track and Trace is a real success.
Fezantplucker
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 14:42

Absolutely. And get them drinking bleach to keep coronavirus at bay.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic