National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Regional Premier Leagues 2020-21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dagfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regional Premier Leagues 2020-21
    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 19:23

As ever, it's easier to look at the Regional Premier Leagues together, rather than individually, to see how the level transfers might occur next season. The image below shows all the teams at level 5, listed under their home regions. 

It looks like the level transfers needed will be one from South West to LSE, and three from North to Midlands. My guess (with no inside knowledge whatsoever) is that the teams going from North to Midlands will be the same as last year (Sheffield, Doncaster Phoenix and Sandbach) and that Maidenhead will move from South West to LSE.

Edited by Dagfish - 03 Apr 2020 at 19:39
fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 19:27
Do you mean Maidenhead to move to LSE not Midlands ?
Dagfish View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 19:39
Originally posted by fatbear fatbear wrote:

Do you mean Maidenhead to move to LSE not Midlands ?
Oops - yes I did. Now corrected.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 19:47
Originally posted by Dagfish Dagfish wrote:

As ever, it's easier to look at the Regional Premier Leagues together, rather than individually, to see how the level transfers might occur next season. The image below shows all the teams at level 5, listed under their home regions. 

It looks like the level transfers needed will be one from South West to LSE, and three from North to Midlands. My guess (with no inside knowledge whatsoever) is that the teams going from North to Midlands will be the same as last year (Sheffield, Doncaster Phoenix and Sandbach) and that Maidenhead will move from South West to LSE.

Except, those 3 are surely exempt this coming season, unless they volunteer to go?
RAID ON
Dobber View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 20:52
There's a very very long way to go until we're any way near the start of Season 2020/21.  Club Treasurers and Chairmen will be fretting over the financials. I regret to say that there are going to be a few more Birmingham  & Solihull Bees and Leicester South's between then and now, regardless of any arguments over level transfers...
Friendly prop View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendly prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 21:18
Originally posted by Dobber Dobber wrote:

There's a very very long way to go until we're any way near the start of Season 2020/21.  Club Treasurers and Chairmen will be fretting over the financials. I regret to say that there are going to be a few more Birmingham  & Solihull Bees and Leicester South's between then and now, regardless of any arguments over level transfers...

Not least Bournville who are going for a Go fund me 30k
"Animo concipere non possum quo palto hoc pervease exeat."
Friendly prop View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendly prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 21:22

Well done as ever Dagfish How are things down at Portway?
"Animo concipere non possum quo palto hoc pervease exeat."
Fudgepacker View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fudgepacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 22:00
Originally posted by Friendly prop Friendly prop wrote:

Originally posted by Dobber Dobber wrote:

Not least Bournville who are going for a Go fund me 30k

Friendly prop I'm confident we will survive. Bromsgrove are trying to raise £50k on theirs! Wink

Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 22:16
Macclesfield also £30k
Where does this all end - surely every sports club in the land could go down the same route trying to recoup funds
Whaa Hoo Wilkey View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaa Hoo Wilkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 00:10
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Macclesfield also £30k
Where does this all end - surely every sports club in the land could go down the same route trying to recoup funds
This is our Club acting responsibly - now.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 07:47

I'm sure Maidenhead would be delighted to volunteer to go to LSE to save most of the travelling. I never understood personally why a club in Berkshire are in the SW region forcing them to travel to Devon/Cornwall  every other week whilst a club the other side of the M25 is in the LSE region. 

Plus given Hampshire is in LSE despite being roughly geographically level with Berkshire is a bit of an anomaly to me. I know it was originally something to do with the train lines back in the day.

Edited by Robb - 04 Apr 2020 at 07:48
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 09:31
In response to Wha Hoo Wilkey I have to strongly disagree. If Macclesfield, or any other village, town or city want to maintain a semi-pro rugby club why should Joe Public (through Crowd Funding - effectively a world wide begging bowl) be asked to contribute. In such difficult times there are surely more worthy causes than this?
Funds to support the club, any club, should be raised from its immediate locality through memberships, sponsors, sugar-daddies etc etc. As has already been intimated on many other posts, if there's a shortfall then players should be offered reduced contracts or off-loaded altogether.
Please note this is not about paying players - I have no problem with that so long as it is funded sustainably by its membership and local benefactors
MaidsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaidsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I'm sure Maidenhead would be delighted to volunteer to go to LSE to save most of the travelling. I never understood personally why a club in Berkshire are in the SW region forcing them to travel to Devon/Cornwall  every other week whilst a club the other side of the M25 is in the LSE region. 

Plus given Hampshire is in LSE despite being roughly geographically level with Berkshire is a bit of an anomaly to me. I know it was originally something to do with the train lines back in the day.

We absolutely would be delighted to move across!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:42

In response to Wha Hoo Wilkey I have to strongly disagree. If Macclesfield, or any other village, town or city want to maintain a semi-pro rugby club why should Joe Public (through Crowd Funding - effectively a world wide begging bowl) be asked to contribute. In such difficult times there are surely more worthy causes than this?
Funds to support the club, any club, should be raised from its immediate locality through memberships, sponsors, sugar-daddies etc etc. As has already been intimated on many other posts, if there's a shortfall then players should be offered reduced contracts or off-loaded altogether.
Please note this is not about paying players - I have no problem with that so long as it is funded sustainably by its membership and local benefactors

Personally, I see no problem in clubs trying to raise money in any legal way.

It is up to the individual to contribute or not as they see fit
RAID ON
Whaa Hoo Wilkey View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaa Hoo Wilkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 13:27

Don't know where your crowd funding idea has come from! Money raised has come from members and is for the guarantee of the Club keeping its head above water - nowt to do with paying players!
Dagfish View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 13:31
Originally posted by Friendly prop Friendly prop wrote:

Well done as ever Dagfish How are things down at Portway?
Thanks for asking - Bees had a very successful season in the Greater Birmingham Merit League, and before all this hit the fan, the consensus was that they would be applying to re-join the national league system from next season. Let's hope this still applies. 
Personally, I've been a bit of a nomad this season, and have enjoyed the hospitality at a number of local clubs around the region. It's been a fun season!
oldbill10 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbill10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 13:40
Wouldn’t paying players in the first place put a strain on the clubs finances, I have seen a few clubs create go fund me pages which is great if it keeps them all going but for me unless you’ve got a rich benefactor than asking people to help doesn’t sit right with me, if paying players has put you in that position in the first place. 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 15:49
My point exactly Old Bill!
Shouldn't this be a bit like keeping your local corner shop or post office going - locals to give it the support to continue - as was once said "use it or lose it" 

Edited by Thatbloke - 04 Apr 2020 at 15:53
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 16:30

My point exactly Old Bill!
Shouldn't this be a bit like keeping your local corner shop or post office going - locals to give it the support to continue - as was once said "use it or lose it" 

Except the local corner shop and post office are allowed to open during this time, a rugby club doesn't have that luxury. An easyfundraising route is probably the easiest way for locals to give directly as not every supporter will have the club's bank details to hand.

Edited by Robb - 04 Apr 2020 at 16:31
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 15:00
At least with gofundme and the like the general public has the choice a to whether they donate or not and it's very easy to do the latter. As taxpayers we have no choice but to help fund Liverpool's non-playing staff whilst the club decide which player to spend another £50m on.

(Other disreputable clubs are available). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic