National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Do the RFU care what happens below the Prem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 17:26
But they play at the Rec which is literally a park field. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 17:45
What do you want to do ?
New mail< id="mailtoEmail">Copy< id="mailtoClipboardTo">
In response to Camquin's observation regarding Crawley FC and soccer in West Sussex.

It is a good and fair point, but my response does go a bit off topic.  

Crawley's home attendance averages 2000-2500 and as it is a level 4 side, it is useful to compare with Worthing Raiders.....the biggest Sussex rugby side and also at level 4.  I think our own average home gate would be close to 500........quite a disparity.

What rams the point home however, are the crowd figures for lesser (level 6?) clubs in  Sussex and West Kent.

Averages:
Dorking 703
Eastbourne  547
Tonbridge  608

Why is this ?  My own personal opinion is the our own game provides a superior spectacle, but we fail to compete......and there is the nub....we are in competition with the round ball game.  
Although it was a while ago, I was in an 1000+ crowd at Eastbourne.  A completely enclosed ground with seating and cover nearly all the way around the ground.  Ample opportunity to buy food and beverages and plenty of toilets for men AND women.

It would be interesting to know what the spend per head is at these soccer games ?  Admission price is very high. 

I could go on.....my point is the IMO, the RFU should be helping clubs put the facilities in place to attract families, boost crowds and thereby, put the community game on a much firmer financial footing.  We have an enormous advantage too......you can buy beer !! Big smileClap   thats got tobe worth at least 1000 on the crowd surely 
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 18:41
Surely Gloucester is the obvious candidate - lots of smaller clubs feeding up the pyramid and knowledgeable and loyal supporters. 

Lots of rugby posts dotted around the county as well.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 22:32
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Out of interest which clubs in West Sussex get a bigger crowd than Crawley FC (record attendance 5,880). And that assumes nobody in West Sussex watches Brighton and Hove Albion.

Even though Twerton Park has a safety limit of 8,000 now - the record attendance is 18,000 (more than the capacity of the Rec.)

Crawley is virtually in Surrey (just over 1 mile) their current crowds are just over 2000. Most football fans seem to gravitate into London judging by the numbers at the station.

RAID ON
Old Hooker View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 22:47
Darth
When was Eastbourne an enclosed ground? with big gates. I dislocated my Clavicle (shoulder) in 71 with Bromley RFC, Played for Sussex there and Worthing in the County Cup v Lewis I think we won but just a club house not large and that was it. Yes in the last two good gates but nothing special.
another one against the head
Old Hooker View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 22:50
OOps are we talking Football??????

another one against the head
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 01:25
What do you want to do ?
New mail< id="mailtoEmail">Copy< id="mailtoClipboardTo">
Thought I was pretty plain OH......Rioja or Malbec WinkClap
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by Old Hooker Old Hooker wrote:

Darth
When was Eastbourne an enclosed ground? with big gates. I dislocated my Clavicle (shoulder) in 71 with Bromley RFC, Played for Sussex there and Worthing in the County Cup v Lewis I think we won but just a club house not large and that was it. Yes in the last two good gates but nothing special.

Post deleted - not fully awake yet

Edited by Raider999 - 09 Apr 2020 at 07:58
RAID ON
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 06:56
The Premiership also killed off West Hartlepool, at the the behest of Tom Walkinshaw. The Premiership also mortally wounded London Welsh!
Run with it
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

The Premiership also killed off West Hartlepool, at the the behest of Tom Walkinshaw. The Premiership also mortally wounded London Welsh!
I think Welsh mortally wounded themselves!
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:54
Originally posted by Cannon Cannon wrote:

Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

I think Welsh mortally wounded themselves!

Indeed, they also unsurprisingly got no sympathy/support from the RFU having taken RFU to court only a few seasons before.

The RFU have long memories when it suits them.
RAID ON
Gargrave Green View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargrave Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:48
Rugby is bigger in Threshfield than football Wink
It's funny how many people get mad when a sentence doesn't end as they carrot juice.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 13:43
Originally posted by Gargrave Green Gargrave Green wrote:

Rugby is bigger in Threshfield than football Wink

Didn't see a football pitch, but given the setting of the Rugby Club that wouldn't surprise me.
RAID ON
Touchjudge View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Touchjudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 18:02
But Threshfield ain't what it used to be either!

Edited by Touchjudge - 13 Apr 2020 at 18:06
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 20:20
Originally posted by Touchjudge Touchjudge wrote:

But Threshfield ain't what it used to be either!

Not sure how the very scenic setting has changed, but it is 5 years since I was there.

Edited by Raider999 - 13 Apr 2020 at 20:20
RAID ON
greeneyed View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeneyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:24
There's much less traffic in Threshfield than there used to be.
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 20:30
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

Rotherham United average 9,000 this season
Sheffield Wednesday over 20,000
Sheffield United nearly 30,000
Roth about 600 although when we played Quins we somehow shoe horned about 4,500 into Clifton Lane (all those who have been to the Lane think about that for a minute) and highest ever was 6,200 when we lost 34-19 at home to Bath at Millmoor  in the Prem in 2003/4

The atmosphere at the Lane in the Prem and the Championship was simply sensational but we had to move. They said words to the effect that they can’t be playing on a park field. It was great it was like a carnival on match days, temporary stands outside tents and then the craic in the bar. 

I had the privilege of refereeing your first ever game in The Premiership at home to Bristol, I think the official crowd was 3500, there might have been more but I know it was absolutely rammed and it didn't feel a park pitch to me!

Edited by Clive Norling - 14 Apr 2020 at 20:32
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 00:04
Thank you for your kind words Ashley.

I remember that game. Augustine Pichot I recall was the only difference. You will remember awarding us a penalty in the last play 30 yards out slightly left of centre which would have tied the game at 23-23. Unfortunately Mike Umaga pushed it wide and we lost by 3. Am pleased you enjoyed the atmosphere. I was in the large temporary stand on the cricket pitch side and it was fantastic every game.

Edited by Rothman2 - 15 Apr 2020 at 00:06
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:51
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

Thank you for your kind words Ashley.

I remember that game. Augustine Pichot I recall was the only difference. You will remember awarding us a penalty in the last play 30 yards out slightly left of centre which would have tied the game at 23-23. Unfortunately Mike Umaga pushed it wide and we lost by 3. Am pleased you enjoyed the atmosphere. I was in the large temporary stand on the cricket pitch side and it was fantastic every game.

Ha! My memory is good but not that good BUT now you remind me, I do vaguely remember that, I knew the score was close and now you remind me, I now remember that on the day thinking, 23-23 would be a good result for Rotherham and am I right in thinking that Mike was kicking to the clubhouse end?

When I visited this season with RAMS, the lads could not believe that Rotherham had played Premiership rugby there and you had got close to 4000 in the ground!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic