National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 17:45
Interesting article just been posted re Leeds RL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52311952
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 18:34
Not sure

Edited by Jasper99 - 16 Apr 2020 at 18:35
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 18:47
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Come on Kimbo Barrow and Warrington are traditional Lancashire towns.  ;-) 
Traditional dinnae cut it when the council tax bill drops on the mat.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 18:49
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Not surprising given the club from the lesser code always treated Carnegie with disdain.

As the 'lesser code' club (your words not mine) are far more successful and YC were mere tenants who ruined the pitch quality each winter can you blame them.

This 'lesser code' attitude is typical of the RFU elite. - Rugby League is a different sport - the split happened a 100 years ago - get over it.

Incidentally, I would say League is one of the biggest factors for there being a paucity of Northern clubs in the top 3 levels - as it is basically a Northern game that doesn't really exist in this country outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire.
Agreed.
Except that Warrington, Newcastle, Barrow, Workington,  Crusaders, London Skolars, London Broncos, Coventry, Raiders, Whitehaven (and Toulouse, Catalans, and Toronto) may well disagree with your closing statement (and that's just at the top three levels of the game).

Nicely played there on ducking where Raiders play now/this week! Seriously I don't know off the top of my head and I'm a Rugby League World subscriber! I do know that they *have* played in Merthyr, Mountain Ash, Caerphilly, Maesteg, Neath and Blackwood RFC while on their travels...
Ducking nowt pal. None of those locations are in Yorks or Lancs.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 19:12
Oh yes, I forgot that Widnes is also in Cheshire, so that's another.

(Yeah yeah. I know. Both it and Warrington were once part of Lancs...)
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 19:38

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Not surprising given the club from the lesser code always treated Carnegie with disdain.

As the 'lesser code' club (your words not mine) are far more successful and YC were mere tenants who ruined the pitch quality each winter can you blame them.

This 'lesser code' attitude is typical of the RFU elite. - Rugby League is a different sport - the split happened a 100 years ago - get over it.

Incidentally, I would say League is one of the biggest factors for there being a paucity of Northern clubs in the top 3 levels - as it is basically a Northern game that doesn't really exist in this country outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire.

Agreed.
Except that Warrington, Newcastle, Barrow, Workington,  Crusaders, London Skolars, London Broncos, Coventry, Raiders, Whitehaven (and Toulouse, Catalans, and Toronto) may well disagree with your closing statement (and that's just at the top three levels of the game).

I did say in this country - Crusaders are in Wales whilst the 3 in brackets are in France & Canada - non of the others are playing at the top level
RAID ON
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 23:54
That's why I put them in brackets, and you did say at the top three levels.

Our City,
Our Club
Loo fighters View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 08:53
A friend from a several generation Wigan entrenched family gave up his 8 season tickets some five yrs ago. He told me about 18mths ago that he could see some SL teams going semi pro in the near future. He's involved at the top end of the biggest amateur RL club in Wigan and has mentioned the lack of players, unheard of ever in the games heartland. The Wigan v Saints derby has always been the barometer on this side of the Pennines which hasn't sold out in yrs, this year was less than 2/3 full. Change is required across both codes to keep things ticking, union needs a rethink below the Prem for the greater good.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 09:29

That's why I put them in brackets, and you did say at the top three levels.

What I actually said was League was a reason for the paucity of Northern Clubs in the top 3 levels (rather than levels 2 & 3 as stated further up the thread)

I'm not sure how you read this as the top 3 levels of league when the discussion is about Union. It is obvious this refers to the top 3 levels of Union
RAID ON
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 09:33
And my initial reply was to the bit that stated "basically a Northern game that doesn't really exist in this country outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire".
Anyway, pointless. I'm out.
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 15:04
Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 15:18
Saw in a recent webinar Phil Davies was suggesting the core of his squad could be students from Leeds Beckett. As Loughborough discovered National One is too tough for a predominantly students side.
SCC79 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCC79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 16:16
'As Loughborough discovered National One is too tough for a predominantly students side'. 

True once BUCS Super Rugby started a couple of years or so ago because the level of the mid week game rose exponentially from the regular BUCS fixtures but Luff students actually survived for a number of years in Nat 1 before then. 
semisonic View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semisonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 21:33
I would say that they'd be potentially up a certain creek if there are no students at Leeds Beckett in September, although I suppose in that scenario the season probably wouldn't be able to start either.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by semisonic semisonic wrote:

I would say that they'd be potentially up a certain creek if there are no students at Leeds Beckett in September, although I suppose in that scenario the season probably wouldn't be able to start either.

Spot on - with many universities only providing virtual lectures over the Internet the students won't be there.
RAID ON
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 09:56

Originally posted by semisonic semisonic wrote:

Spot on - with many universities only providing virtual lectures over the Internet the students won't be there.

Will this also affect Loughborough Students? 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:21
I think if rugby restarts, Loughborough will find a way to bring the team to campus, even if not all other students do. 

But even though lectures are going on line, a lot of small group and lab work will still need to be face to face - so many students will need to return to campus.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 13:45
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 17:48
That’s a real shame for the staff and players but probably inevitable given the current climate
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 19:20
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/37504/exclusive-yorkshire-carnegie-disband-academy-as-rfu-pull-funding-support/

Not st all surprised - I think they should have moved it to Doncaster when Leeds failed to fund it.

The bigger question is what happens to Leeds?
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic