National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leeds
    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 15:41
Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 15:46
What worries me is that although Leeds Beckett finished higher up BUCS Super Rugby than Loughborough - that is effectively Loughborough's second team.

There is a rumour on the tykes forum that they might play at Leeds Beckett ground.

It does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Sweeney Delenda Est
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 17:19
Could well be N2N for 21/22? 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 18:09
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

What worries me is that although Leeds Beckett finished higher up BUCS Super Rugby than Loughborough - that is effectively Loughborough's second team.

There is a rumour on the tykes forum that they might play at Leeds Beckett ground.

You might get a better (and cheaper) pint there than at Headingley
RAID ON
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 19:55
I thought that the decision was already made that they are leaving Headingley. Unglamorous saroundings  indeed. There are a lot of decent grounds in Nat 1 with excellent playing surfaces and Mr Davies may get a shock at both the facilities and the standard of the league
So many Christians not enough Lions
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 09:26
Not surprising given the club from the lesser code always treated Carnegie with disdain.
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Not surprising given the club from the lesser code always treated Carnegie with disdain.

Risable,the Rhinos have subsidised  Carnegie for the past 10 yrs in terms of training facilities,administration and use of Headingley.Rhinos also wrote off a six figure sum when Carnegie went bust.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 09:43
Originally posted by Fly Half Fly Half wrote:

Risable,the Rhinos have subsidised  Carnegie for the past 10 yrs in terms of training facilities,administration and use of Headingley.Rhinos also wrote off a six figure sum when Carnegie went bust.

Quite. Even more risible to still be using terms like 'lesser code'.
Our City,
Our Club
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 09:53
They should have been thinking like this a year ago. I think Mr Davies is going to find it very tough in N1. Any thought of 'bouncing back' is unrealistic. 
pappashanga
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:08

As the 'lesser code' club (your words not mine) are far more successful and YC were mere tenants who ruined the pitch quality each winter can you blame them.

This 'lesser code' attitude is typical of the RFU elite. - Rugby League is a different sport - the split happened a 100 years ago - get over it.

Incidentally, I would say League is one of the biggest factors for there being a paucity of Northern clubs in the top 3 levels - as it is basically a Northern game that doesn't really exist in this country outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire.
RAID ON
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:17
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It's true that the BUCS team is essentially the club's second xv, but the RFU side isn't made up of students really, maybe a few 21 year olds but there are many loan players in there from Wasps & Leicester.
Wit Ball View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wit Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 12:53
Hopefully the start of the new world will be a name change back to Leeds
Never happened in my day
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 14:00
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

As the 'lesser code' club (your words not mine) are far more successful and YC were mere tenants who ruined the pitch quality each winter can you blame them.

This 'lesser code' attitude is typical of the RFU elite. - Rugby League is a different sport - the split happened a 100 years ago - get over it.

Incidentally, I would say League is one of the biggest factors for there being a paucity of Northern clubs in the top 3 levels - as it is basically a Northern game that doesn't really exist in this country outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire.
Agreed.
Except that Warrington, Newcastle, Barrow, Workington,  Crusaders, London Skolars, London Broncos, Coventry, Raiders, Whitehaven (and Toulouse, Catalans, and Toronto) may well disagree with your closing statement (and that's just at the top three levels of the game).
Our City,
Our Club
Albert Fishwick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 14:20
Originally posted by Wit Ball Wit Ball wrote:

Hopefully the start of the new world will be a name change back to Leeds

That much seems very likely. Everything else, including whether we stay at Headingley, is as clear as clarts at the moment.
That's easy for you to say.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 14:53

There is very little in sport lesser than Yorkshire Carnegie.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 15:37
Come on Kimbo Barrow and Warrington are traditional Lancashire towns.  ;-) 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 16:33
We tried telling the Lancashire clubs that when they comlained about having to travel :-)
I think he may have confused Workington (Cumberland) with Warrington (Cheshire).
I am not sure either were ever in Lanashire.

Edited by Camquin - 16 Apr 2020 at 16:42
Sweeney Delenda Est
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 16:44
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Agreed.
Except that Warrington, Newcastle, Barrow, Workington,  Crusaders, London Skolars, London Broncos, Coventry, Raiders, Whitehaven (and Toulouse, Catalans, and Toronto) may well disagree with your closing statement (and that's just at the top three levels of the game).

Nicely played there on ducking where Raiders play now/this week! Seriously I don't know off the top of my head and I'm a Rugby League World subscriber! I do know that they *have* played in Merthyr, Mountain Ash, Caerphilly, Maesteg, Neath and Blackwood RFC while on their travels...

Edited by billesleyexile - 16 Apr 2020 at 16:47
keep the faith
SKalpy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 16:52
Lancashire county boundaries can be found here.  http://www.forl.co.uk/
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 17:34
I stand corrected on Warrington.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic