National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Best Rugby Grounds in the World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 14:03
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Castle Park in the sun!
Brilliant playing surface, pies, Bovril, beer, banter on the terrace opposite the stand and proper competitive rugby - gets my vote even if it is not sunny.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 14:12
Used to live in Newlands and walk down there every Saturday to watch the club rugby. I recall so many matches - Test, provincial and touring sides from everywhere. The cricket ground is nearby and was also a feast of sport.
Now it's the RAG, which has a lot of charm and good rugby.
pappashanga
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 15:42
Nice one Pappashanga, and a half decent club for a beer and a bite?

But as grounds go I do have a preference for Loftus Versfelt?

Maak nie saak nie, bly veilig en gesond
Shush View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 16:00
 Paviors RFC, Burnstump, Nottingham.

A rugby club located in the woods. The very same woods that would've been part of the original Sherwood Forest.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 16:01
I admit I've never been to Loftus Versveld. Wouldn't have been able to afford the fare for one thing. I had a school friend who used to go to the Wanderers(cricket?)-' Kaaks end Fentas aaver yeer!' Ellis Park I know nothing of.
pappashanga
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 08:48
Originally posted by Shush Shush wrote:

Paviors RFC, Burnstump, Nottingham.

A rugby club located in the woods. The very same woods that would've been part of the original Sherwood Forest.

A lovely ground played there many times Son in Law and his Dad are former players and my grandson now plays in the Mini's so still going.
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:50
Pappashaga, at the 1995 RWC final I was sitting in the very top row of the highest old stand at Ellis Park, the SAA Tristars flew just a little lower than my seat!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 13:29
Memories!
pappashanga
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 15:06
I was there as well in bottom left hand corner from where Nelson Mandela sat. Flew out from Heathrow on the Thursday and back on the Sunday. Very exhausting not helped by all the alcohol. Everyone very friendly. However couldn’t wait to fly back as the atmosphere around the Holiday Inn where I was staying was very intimidating. Arrived back in Heathrow on Monday morning and flew out to Margarita Island in West Indies on Tuesday morning with wife and daughter for fortnight’s holiday. Even more exhausting but wonderful memories.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 15:29
In 1963 the Wallabies played three matches at Newlands -a gainst Southern Universities (Stellenbosch and Cape Town) ,Western Province and a Test.
Our Under 15A played curtain raiser to one of them. I think it was Southern Universities, as the centre, Rob Little, broke his collar bone. The prop, Mervyn Key, was moved to centre and I went from No 8 to prop for the rest of the season. So I nearly played on that hallowed turf, like the Monty Python character who nearly slew the dragon.
I met Rob Little five years ago and didn't recognise him. However I haven't changed much, obviously, as he greeted me by saying his first encounter with me was at prep school when I square cut his first ball for four. Didn't tell him I thought it was a full toss and an off drive. I recalled being bowled soon after.
What it is to be old.
pappashanga
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 17:26
Surprised you say that John Lowe as my recollection is very clearly that the atmosphere in the whole of Jo'berg, and for that matter throughout the country, was electric, positive and dynamic. At that very moment all seemed to be coming together for South Africa and its President, but so sadly not sustained.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 20:10
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Pappashaga, at the 1995 RWC final I was sitting in the very top row of the highest old stand at Ellis Park, the SAA Tristars flew just a little lower than my seat!

Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

I was there as well in bottom left hand corner from where Nelson Mandela sat. Flew out from Heathrow on the Thursday and back on the Sunday. Very exhausting not helped by all the alcohol. Everyone very friendly. However couldn’t wait to fly back as the atmosphere around the Holiday Inn where I was staying was very intimidating. Arrived back in Heathrow on Monday morning and flew out to Margarita Island in West Indies on Tuesday morning with wife and daughter for fortnight’s holiday. Even more exhausting but wonderful memories.

John - having known you for many years, I never knew we were both at this game. My late Father and I entered a comp sponsored by Jacob's Creek in the Evening Standard - and out of 10s of thousands of entries (all correct - the question was to name the nickname of the Australian rugby team) he was picked out as winner of trip for 2. Which meant we got to see Jonah Lomu trample over England one Saturday, and the final 7 days later.

Isleonian - I think I was about 10-15 rows in front of you. The plane came from behind the stand as I recall.

The only shame was that our prize trip was on a package that involved going straight to Jo'burg Airport & home after the game - we were buzzing but missed a rather large party!

Hope we get the chance to discuss further over a beer soon! Beer
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:58
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

[COLOR=#333333" face="TimesDigitalW04-Regular]<span style="font-size: 18px;]Lost stadiums, College Grove Wakefield.  Cry</span>[/COLOR]

Agreed, lovely people there and some great players (Terry Garnett for one) and the sloping pitch ... what was there not to like!
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 13:54
Tom

By a strange coincidence I also won my trip in a national draw filling my details in on a beer mat.

John
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 17:46
Welford Road is my favourite English ground, Cardiff Arms Park for a Welsh one and Murrayfield for a Scottish one, been to Ireland but I was fishing not for the rugby. Not been abroad to watch any rugby.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 18:56
A way to go yet to be world class, but Trailfinders Sports Ground has installed a large LCD panel just off the North East corner of the pitch. Must be about 15x15 feet. Nice addition to the ground.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 19:43
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

A way to go yet to be world class, but Trailfinders Sports Ground has installed a large LCD panel just off the North East corner of the pitch. Must be about 15x15 feet. Nice addition to the ground.

in what way does this post have anything to do with the Best Rugby Grounds in the World apart from a bit of free advertising
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 21:02
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

in what way does this post have anything to do with the Best Rugby Grounds in the World apart from a bit of free advertising

It's a post about an improvement to a Championship rugby ground in a thread about rugby grounds in a forum about the Championship? I guess I could have made a thread just for this, but I thought that would be a bit excessive. I'm in no way affiliated with the club, but saw the new LCD panel when passing by on a run today. I'm not really sure what the need for the hostility is - there's enough of that in the world without adding to it on a friendly rugby board.
Shush View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 21:42

Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

It's a post about an improvement to a Championship rugby ground in a thread about rugby grounds in a forum about the Championship? I guess I could have made a thread just for this, but I thought that would be a bit excessive. I'm in no way affiliated with the club, but saw the new LCD panel when passing by on a run today. I'm not really sure what the need for the hostility is - there's enough of that in the world without adding to it on a friendly rugby board.

If Lady Bay had the facilities I'd be announcing it here, so If trailfinders are improving their ground then they're to be congratulated, rugby is the winner.
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 12:09
islander, certainly one hell of a party that night, and more back in Cape Town in following days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic