National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Salary cap article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 19:51
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Intouch Intouch wrote:

I have pointed out a couple of clubs, it could have been many, so lets get this straight, I'm not having a dig at them in anyway, I'm pointing out what I can see are facts.

The loss of rugby is a pain, but not as much as COVID-19. As you say, I cannot see any reason to start rugby until a vaccine is found.

The loss of income for clubs is twofold, firstly rugby income - gate, bar, sponsorship but secondly the income from use of the clubhouse and grounds during the day and in the summer for corporate days, conferences, birthday parties and a host of other types. 

This is the income that will be truly missed on the assumption that rugby income covers players costs that are not now being spent, leaving the core overhead of the club infrastructure to be met met or considerably contributed to, from non-rugby sources which are now negated.

Some clubs can meet this deficit from historic reserves, others not.

I think most clubs will find sponsorship heavily scaled back this coming season. I also think a number of clubs are already signing new players on - is that wise when the new season start date is still up in the air, I'm not so sure.
RAID ON
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 08:47
May be contracts will not be the case, but pay per play applied. 
Cauliflower ear.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 08:54
Even if you only pay match fee, you still need a contract.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:15
maybe we should go back to Amateur but what would happen to the crowds over and above loyal followers
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 16:35
Reading through this thread I have to say I on this occasion disagree with most, looking an an annual salary cap of £250k with a squad of say 40 players would mean an annual fee per player of £6,250, if you take into consideration travel, training 2 or 3 times per week. Along with potentially of injury and risk of being off work (the day job for non professional) it is a very low figure. 

Furthermore, if you take each club and say they have (for arguments sake) 3 players who are full time at £25K each it leaves only around £4.7k per player in the rest of the squad, there are a number of teams who travel on a Friday, meaning players take the day off, if this is 12 times per year they could be looking at either using holidays or taking unpaid leave for these days again at the players cost. 

I think it is a fair payment in truth looking at the above, and I would ask the question of any professional person, would they risk their day job income to turn out on a Saturday afternoon for our pleasure for what could be a couple of hundred pounds on a pay as you play basis 
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 19:47
Originally posted by front5 front5 wrote:

I think it is a fair payment in truth looking at the above, and I would ask the question of any professional person, would they risk their day job income to turn out on a Saturday afternoon for our pleasure for what could be a couple of hundred pounds on a pay as you play basis 

They did in the amateur days.......
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 20:16
Originally posted by Moseley Mauler Moseley Mauler wrote:

They did in the amateur days.......

Apart from the envelopes in their boots at the end of the game
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 21:20
A fiver in 1970 would be worth more than £150 today.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 21:37
And the rest, in 1973 the shop I worked n the assistant manager earned £19 pounds a week, I as a junior earned £4 imagine how I felt in Jan 74 I joined the RN and got 100% pay rise to £8 a week, I thought I was a millionaire 
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:33
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

And the rest, in 1973 the shop I worked n the assistant manager earned £19 pounds a week, I as a junior earned £4 imagine how I felt in Jan 74 I joined the RN and got 100% pay rise to £8 a week, I thought I was a millionaire 

Not to mention the free food and lodgings
RAID ON
Longtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Tsar of all Blackheath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Not to mention the free food and lodgings

And the wardroom rates.
It pays to be wise after the event!!!
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

A fiver in 1970 would be worth more than £150 today. Really? £65 / 70 would be nearer I suggest from my ancient memory. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Saturnate View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:24
I think the fag packet calculation is that money doubles in value every 10 years, so:

1970 £5
1980 £10
1990 £20
2000 £40
2010 £80
2020 £160

So £150 is about right, but not sure you should believe everything written on the back of a fag packet.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:33
Originally posted by Saturnate Saturnate wrote:

I think the fag packet calculation is that money doubles in value every 10 years, so:

1970 £5
1980 £10
1990 £20
2000 £40
2010 £80
2020 £160

So £150 is about right, but not sure you should believe everything written on the back of a fag packet.

I'm afraid you are way off.

According to inflation figures £5 in 1970 would be worth £77.85 today - Camquin however was fairly close, benefit of being old perhaps

Edited by Raider999 - 01 May 2020 at 12:34
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 13:25
Actually I used

And was looking at the income equivalence.
I was 6 in 1970 and saving up for Airfix kits which I remember being 5/- and now seem to be about £10.

Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 14:05
£5 was equivalent to 40 pints in 1970 (2s/6d) - I'll let you do the maths Embarrassed

Mind you, Mild was 1s/10d - so 11 pints/£1 = 55 pints .......

Edited by FHLH - 01 May 2020 at 14:07
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 14:37
So one night in the bar for most props. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 17:23
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

£5 was equivalent to 40 pints in 1970 (2s/6d) - I'll let you do the maths Embarrassed

Mind you, Mild was 1s/10d - so 11 pints/£1 = 55 pints .......

Problem is, everyone knows beer prices have increased by over the rate of inflation over the past 50 years.

You have to look at total rate of inflation - not just one area
RAID ON
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:37
I expected that my post would get the "boot money" responses. But to be serious for a minute, in those amateur days the players gave it everything and injuries requiring time off work happened. So what is different? And it is not the ferocity of the game - the hits were equal when based upon the fitness and size of the players. Anyone fancy Pete Shillingford from Moseley tackling you in 1987?
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 20:01

Reading through this thread I have to say I on this occasion disagree with most, looking an an annual salary cap of £250k with a squad of say 40 players would mean an annual fee per player of £6,250, if you take into consideration travel, training 2 or 3 times per week. Along with potentially of injury and risk of being off work (the day job for non professional) it is a very low figure. 

Furthermore, if you take each club and say they have (for arguments sake) 3 players who are full time at £25K each it leaves only around £4.7k per player in the rest of the squad, there are a number of teams who travel on a Friday, meaning players take the day off, if this is 12 times per year they could be looking at either using holidays or taking unpaid leave for these days again at the players cost. 

Full time?  It’s the third tier of rugby!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic