National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

1987-88 Northern Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:15
With a well known wiki editor (Jjgsmith) we’ve worked together to update the entire Northern Division Wikipedia pages, to include all league winners, relegations and restructurings. This also includes now defunct leagues such as North West 3, North East 1 etc etc. 

We’re still working through some of the NW leagues as it was rather complicated back in the day!

We’re hoping to then complete Midlands and Southern Divisions at some point in the future as well.

Take a look, work your way through the various levels and you might find your club winning a league that you may have had no idea about! 

Best,

Novo
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:51
Via a combination of the RFU website, some Rothmans yearbooks, Courage Clubs Directories and a healthy dollop of OCD, I've compiled a spreadsheet with all of the league tables for London & South East since 1987.  I haven't got the patience to format it for Wikipedia, but if it would be of any use to you then drop me a line.
Novocastrian View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Via a combination of the RFU website, some Rothmans yearbooks, Courage Clubs Directories and a healthy dollop of OCD, I've compiled a spreadsheet with all of the league tables for London & South East since 1987.  I haven't got the patience to format it for Wikipedia, but if it would be of any use to you then drop me a line.

That would be tremendous. DM sent.

I must admit, it is incredibly painful to update it onto wikipedia. But once it's there, it's there which is useful for everyone. Surprising that the RFU have never gotten round to updating the tables themselves on their own website.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by Novocastrian Novocastrian wrote:

I must admit, it is incredibly painful to update it onto wikipedia. But once it's there, it's there which is useful for everyone. Surprising that the RFU have never gotten round to updating the tables themselves on their own website.

You're not really surprised are you?
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 20:30
Quuite a few teams in the higher leagues got their fingers burned.

With regards to the RFU & Wiki, I've been trying to find the England team that played the New Zealand Native in 1888/1889, any help greatfully received, as next step the TW2 museum but probably furloughed.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 21:09
Originally posted by Camp Freddie Camp Freddie wrote:

Quuite a few teams in the higher leagues got their fingers burned.

With regards to the RFU & Wiki, I've been trying to find the England team that played the New Zealand Native in 1888/1889, any help greatfully received, as next step the TW2 museum but probably furloughed.

I've got that. Email me and I'll send you the details - tackler7@yahoo.com
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 21:28
Top man Richard, thanks for your help.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 18:11
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Novocastrian Novocastrian wrote:

You're not really surprised are you?

Not particularly. It’s still a shame it’s left up to others (History bores and volunteers!Wink )to get the work done!

Anyway, the entire Northern Division is nearly finished. There’s been some very strange league set ups in the North West over the years, I must say (North West West 1 and names like that). At least it’s mostly done now though. Take a look if you’re from the North and are interested in seeing the rise and fall of certain clubs.

We’ll then be moving onto doing the entire London SE set up courtesy of Mark W-J’s great work. And finally Midlands. (SW has already been done).
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 18:13
All London & SE leagues now updated on wiki.

Only Midlands Division left to do. Does anyone have this on hand?
Allan Foster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan Foster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 11:30
In National Division Three (level 3) that year, the clubs were, in no particular order:

Vale of Lune, Sheffield, Plymouth, Met Police, Fylde, Maidstone, Birmingham, Exeter, West Hartlepool, Wakefield, Morley & Nuneaton.

An academic is someone who sees something working perfectly in practice & wonders if it will work in theory
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by Allan Foster Allan Foster wrote:

In National Division Three (level 3) that year, the clubs were, in no particular order:

Vale of Lune, Sheffield, Plymouth, Met Police, Fylde, Maidstone, Birmingham, Exeter, West Hartlepool, Wakefield, Morley & Nuneaton.
Level 4 that year was made up of:
Roundhay, Rugby, Solihull, Stourbridge, Preston Grasshoppers, Birkenhead Park,  Broughton Park, Derby, Durham City, Lichfield and Northern. 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
cobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 22:51
Originally posted by 'Hopper 'Hopper wrote:

Originally posted by Allan Foster Allan Foster wrote:

Level 4 that year was made up of:
Roundhay, Rugby, Solihull, Stourbridge, Preston Grasshoppers, Birkenhead Park,  Broughton Park, Derby, Durham City, Lichfield and Northern. 
I think you will find that was level 5... the first split North / South below 4 national leagues (see my post early in the thread). It had a catchy title of "Area League North" I believe!
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 09:52
No, Area League North/ South was level four.  Renamed Courage League Four North/ South at the start of the 1990-91 season.  Became Courage Five North/ South for the 1994-95 campaign (I think) due to the reduction in the size of leagues above.

Edited by Mark W-J - 29 Aug 2020 at 10:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic