National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

PLAYERS WAGES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PLAYERS WAGES
    Posted: 01 May 2020 at 15:13
The subject crops up directly and often indirectly and I have seen it posted on here that it is no ones business and should be private and not discussed on this forum. Most salaries on all professions and trades are known to a degree even allowing for regional and major City allowances.

The current salary caps and clubs exceeding their budgets and teetering on the brink of disaster season after season is a direct result of over paying players and other back room staff. It is very current with the Covid crisis and will result in all clubs adjusting their expenditure. I am sure squad sizes will dwindle for every club.

Does anyone know what the highest and lowest remuneration for players in the Championship is. I appreciate that every club has a different system and that some are semi pro. Can anyone put a figure on the highest and lowest ?. 

My guess is that the highest payment for one season / one year is £50,000 and the lowest at £15,000. I have heard of players receiving a car and accommodation at some clubs. 

This is not about Richmond who we are all told pay the same match fee to every player ! and my understanding is that if they are not in the match day squad receive zero payment !. It is assumed that if they injured playing for their club they receive zero payment.

There have been players in the championship , so I am told who have played for no fee but that could be just hearsay.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 15:25
This is a link ...hopefully to average wage per profession of 270 different types of profession.

Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 17:27
No7 if you think players in the Championship hit a ceiling of 50K you are SO WAY off!!!!!
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 17:47
Originally posted by Welshie7 Welshie7 wrote:

No7 if you think players in the Championship hit a ceiling of 50K you are SO WAY off!!!!!

It is for discussion and a starting point . No names of players or even clubs should be mentioned but it would be interesting to know what the unsubstantiated claims are. What do you know or think you know ?.

We all know fly halves and tighthead props command the highest wages.

What is the pecking order of player positions in relation to their earning potential ?.
Les E View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 18:08
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

This is a link ...hopefully to average wage per profession of 270 different types of profession.

I don’t know if the wages quoted are reasonably current but the average wage for plumbers (£31,000) seems very low
"Rugby is not just a sport, It’s a way of life"
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 18:20
I think that is for an plumber who is a full time employee - as oppossed to a someone working for themselves who may well make more (but with more risk).

A very quick search on Linkedin seems to suggest it is not far wrong.
The first two jobs that listed salaries were both offering £30-35k
Sweeney Delenda Est
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 18:39
No7 it is not a case of 'thinking I know'....
Two examples:
Two seasons ago my nephew played for a club, plastic pitch, you may watch every week (or most weeks).....he was on a 2 yr contract of 75K a year. He was not their higher earner and his words 'bang average player'. He is now playing Level 4 and gets a monthly retainer of 1500, a match fee of 250 a game, accommodation, gym membership and use of club car.
If you look of the list of monies owed to Yorkshire C players you will see sums of 6 figures being owed to players....of all positions not just props at halves
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:06
Welshie are you sure that’s a lot of money, for a10 month season that’s 15k, then 2.5k per 10 games potentially 22.5k per year then the other benefits you are looking at £30k+ for one player. We all know one player doesn’t make a team, unless every other player is on a fiver a game the playing budget must run around £500k for level 4 that is huge and probably dwarfs many in level 3. 
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:10
https://www.ruck.co.uk/rugby-unions-average-salaries-position/

Interesting assessment of most valuable players at the top levels.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:29
Depends.... I know one player who was training with a champ team full-time and earnt money from playing on loan. However there was another who was a first team player, who was on match fees only - I assume he got expenses aswell. Recently, I know a 3rd choice player earning £6,000 plus Accomadation. The club however then had key players being paid around 70,000..... - however this was paid by a sponsor.

A club I know, were stating that they were paying minimum wage. So taking that assuming that was the average wage of the squad. Then the average wage would be £15,000. This was used as the reason for them to need to move away from the 4 days a week training schedule, as they were unable to reduce the wages anymore.

Edited by dropout22 - 01 May 2020 at 19:31
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:35
No 7/Rabbie I think you would be shocked with the payments being made to players in levels 2-5.....and this is why the game needs to re-set and quickly.

Edited by Welshie7 - 01 May 2020 at 19:36
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:43
The problem you have is there is no one to police any salary cap and you will have the serial offenders continuing to flout the rules/regulations and perhaps the taxman so until you can control/police any cap you will have this situation. Plus the punishments have to be meaningful to have any effect
So many Christians not enough Lions
Intouch View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:40

No7 it is not a case of 'thinking I know'....
Two examples:
Two seasons ago my nephew played for a club, plastic pitch, you may watch every week (or most weeks).....he was on a 2 yr contract of 75K a year. He was not their higher earner and his words 'bang average player'. He is now playing Level 4 and gets a monthly retainer of 1500, a match fee of 250 a game, accommodation, gym membership and use of club car.
If you look of the list of monies owed to Yorkshire C players you will see sums of 6 figures being owed to players....of all positions not just props at halves

Lets hope they got promotion paying those numbers Welshie.   

Got a feeling there will be a massive reset button hit by all clubs in the next month when they realise that a lot of their main sponsors have gone!

Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 14:09

No 7/Rabbie I think you would be shocked with the payments being made to players in levels 2-5.....and this is why the game needs to re-set and quickly.

A couple of points ...

Players INFLATE what they say they are earning, although we have heard some "stories" from players at level 4, that sound similar to your relative. However it always helps when they look for a new club, they try and get as much as they can and their starting point is "well where I'm playing at the moment, and they're Level 4, I earn X"

Secondly, we've finished 2nd in National 1 and our budget is not that large at all, only slightly more than what it was at Level 4 (and after our little run in with the RFU, it is common knowledge what it was to get promoted), paying large amounts of money to lots of players, DOES NOT guarantee success .... I would suggest that teamwork, ethos, hard work, excellent game plan well executed and good coaching goes a very long way instead ...

Thirdly, you are right, there are some obscene payments at all levels but I know from an agent that the average money in The Championship is between £25K - £35k, and I wouldn't say that is a lot of money, I would even go to suggest that some players have earned more at Level 3, with a couple of the more "ambitious" clubs but if a sponsor wants to throw lots of money at his pet experiment, that is his choice. If the members of that club allow themselves to be massively dependent on a sole "benefactor", that again is their decision.

No, the real challenge all clubs face and the RFU as well, how do you keep those hundreds of players who start at the U/6's and then get to post Colts level and are appearing to drift away because until you solve that conundrum, the money situation is a bit of a red herring because if there is that much money in the game at all levels, why are the number of players playing SENIOR rugby dropping year on year, when apparently, there is lots of money to be earned playing rugby?
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 14:19

However, they are owed the money, so they were not on the salary they signed up on, it was a pie in the sky figure to get them to come from NZ to play rugby in this country ...

It would be no different to me taking on a new member of staff and telling him he was getting triple for the average in our industry, he goes and tells everyone he knows, he's started working for me and he is being paid 3 times the average for our industry and they say "don't believe you", then 6 months after taking him on, I liquidate the company, at best he ended up getting only 50% more than the average and now he is out of a job .... some of the people who get involved in rugby clubs, I wonder about their business acumen and their morals as well ...
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 18:22
My understanding was that the figures owed to the Leeds players were the remainder of two year or eighteen month contracts, so payments for the last part of 2018/9 and for 2019/20. The Kiwis came over on 18 month deals, I had  understood, as a half season deal was understandably insufficient to tempt them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic