National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Most memorable Game in the Championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most memorable Game in the Championship
    Posted: 01 May 2020 at 18:07
When I look back at all of the games home and away the most memorable and significant game for me was the very first year in the Championship for Ealing Trailfinders. We won our first points away to Jersey in a close fought game.  Ealing were 12 points to nil down and 18 to 7 at half time.With ten minutes to go the Ealing legend, Phil Chesters scored his second try deep from his own 22m line.The game ended with a ex Jersey player Henderson scoring to make the final score Jersey 18 Ealing Trailfinders 28.
This was the first win and first points for Ealing . I was overjoyed that finally we were able to compete and win a game at this level.

30th November 2013
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 19:46
I was there mate and although Jersey handed the game to your lads in the second half with a lad from St Ouens getting sin binned it was well deserved, Ben Ward had a blinder - I think he kicked everything that day and Adam Preocanin was brilliant. Hendo was obviously the hero and is still a great bloke in my book. The match at VW was actually better but Ealing also deservedly won that one as well.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 20:08
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8573372.stm

Nottingham beating the chiefs in the first round of the playoffs, on the Chiefs way to the Premiership an amazing day and the Chiefs had a few well known players Steenson , Baxter , Doleman ? and a couple more
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 22:02
The Pirates winning at Worcester with Rob Cook kicking the winning penalty into a howl of abuse from the home supporters.
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 22:52
Probably when we destroyed Bristol at Meadow Lane (put 60 odd on them if I remember rightly) That was pretty memorable! 

Edited by maire23 - 01 May 2020 at 22:52
Deerhunter2 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deerhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 14:46
Bristol v Blues  Sept 2015, we went to my hometown, first visit to Ashton Gate, I think. Anyway they were obviously expecting to win, But a fantastic display of running rugby, Blues won 29-23, it was a great day out.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 15:13
Originally posted by Deerhunter2 Deerhunter2 wrote:

Bristol v Blues  Sept 2015, we went to my hometown, first visit to Ashton Gate, I think. Anyway they were obviously expecting to win, But a fantastic display of running rugby, Blues won 29-23, it was a great day out.

Just watched the highlights on Youtube. Jake Sharp was outstanding. 

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 16:32
For me it was the Ealing vs London Irish match in January 2016. Here was a team that had only just scloquat survival the previous season, playing essentially a Premiership team. At that point in time it was Ealing's biggest game in their history and Vallis Way' s largest crowd. It was a cracking atmosphere and Ealing played brilliant attacking rugby, including an absolutely cracking try from the one and only Phil Chesters. Only a softly conceded late penalty denied the hosts a famous victory.

Edited by Trailfinder - 02 May 2020 at 19:16
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 18:24
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

For me it was the Ealing vs London Irish match in January 2016. Here was a team that had only just scloquat survival the previous season, playing essentially a Premiership team. At that point in time it was Ealing's biggest game in their history and Vallis Way' s largest crowd. It was a cracking atmosphere and Ealing played brilliant attacking rugby, including an absolutely cracking try from the one and only Phil Chesters. Only a softly conceded late penalty denied the hosts a famous victory.

This game sold me on a season ticket for the following year. Lost only due to a horrible miscue on an entirely unnecessary crossfield kick that went straight out. Then the soft penalty at the death. 

Irish feature in my top game as well, maybe cheating as it was a cup match, but last year's cup final was incredible. Nearly 4k fans packed Vallis Way and the match result went down to the last phase.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 20:30
Richmond's first win in the Championship, against London Scottish, in 2016. There was a thread on here at the time, questioning whether Richmond would win a match. They went on to beat the likes of Cornish Pirates away and just managed to stay up. The win against Ealing in the relegation season 2018/19, when rugby was overshadowed by the Yorkshire Carnegie antics, was an event, too.
pappashanga
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

Richmond's first win in the Championship, against London Scottish, in 2016. There was a thread on here at the time, questioning whether Richmond would win a match. They went on to beat the likes of Cornish Pirates away and just managed to stay up. The win against Ealing in the relegation season 2018/19, when rugby was overshadowed by the Yorkshire Carnegie antics, was an event, too.

That game was the number 1 example for me of Ealing dropping points that season due to not having a proper head coach. The selection and in game lack of adjustment was horrible, and this stopped Ealing from competing for the title two weeks later at the mad stad.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 09:42
You could be Roger Federer🤨
pappashanga
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:49
Play-off final 2nd leg at Ashton Gate in 2016. Best performance by a Doncaster side by a long way. Deserved the win on the night but had left too much to do after loosing at home by 15 the week before. So many nervous Bristol fans at the end. 
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:19
Couple of my most memorable games from a Bedford supporter here:

1. 2011 playoff semis: Worcester 23-22 Bedford. A game that forced the rfu to revamp the playoff structure the following season as Bedford nearly completed the most famous of wins. Had everything. Ahead and the better team for almost the entirety of the match with the most bizarre ending. In the last 5 mins, Worcester dropped the ball whilst celebrating over the line, scored to seemingly win, Bedford came back for a last gasp drop goal attempt, missed but grounded by a blues player and needed to be checked by tmo. Alas it was not to be.

2. Bedford 22-21 Yorkshire Carnegie (2015). Bedford were 21-0 down with 10 minutes to go before staging the most remarkable turnaround. 3 tries and then a mammoth 60m penalty with (nearly) the last kick of the game to win it

Edited by Bluesman11 - 03 May 2020 at 11:20
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Deerhunter2 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deerhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 14:31
We were robbed at Worcester, I think it was Duncan Taylor chasing the drop goal, if they had a proper size in goal area we would have won.
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 15:45
Same game there was a blatant pull back at a 5 meter scrum. Memory does not stretch back accurately enough to recall his name but he might have been playing for Leicester  / Worcester since. A piece of professionalism under the refs nose that the TMO would have seen now. Who knows what might have happened. Kitchener ??

Edited by Guinness John - 03 May 2020 at 19:39
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Bill Sley View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Sley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 17:58
Well - obviously personal choices but given Exeter's rise to the top, this one has to rate up there....Mose beating Exeter twice in a day :-)

Saturday, 21 March 2009
Moseley 32-24 Exeter Chiefs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/7952875.stm

Moseley upset Exeter Chiefs to reach the EDF National Trophy final at Twickenham and dent their visitors' promotion hopes in the process.
Moseley led the double header 25-12 at the break as tries from Tom Johnson and Ed Lewsey kept the Chiefs in touch.
Lewsey got his second try after the restart but Moseley replied promptly through Terry Sickley [sorry Tex - the BBC wrote it] to go 32-17 up.
Danny Gray gained a bonus point with Exeter's fourth try in the 13th minute of stoppage time but it was not enough.

Edited by Bill Sley - 03 May 2020 at 18:00
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 20:07
Bill not actually the Championship but a fantastic day for your club nevertheless
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 20:40
Originally posted by Welshie7 Welshie7 wrote:

Bill not actually the Championship but a fantastic day for your club nevertheless
It was. Double header for cup and league. 
Cauliflower ear.
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 21:00
No it was not the Championship. The Championship started in 2009-10 season, prior to this it was Nat 1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic