National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2020/21 Leagues Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 14:58
And even so the population is weighted towards the South East.
I do not know about the number of registered clubs or players. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 20:47
Originally posted by Blutarsky Blutarsky wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Well of course they should all be in the North.
But when the leagues were first set up the North was over represented in the upper national divisions.
So as the numbers equalise and indeed we move to having slightly more L&SE clubs in the National leagues.
L&SE has a population of ~24m North of 15m and Midlands of 10m with 8m in SW.

But the only way to reduce the numbers of Northern clubs at level 3 is if one is transferred South and relegated. 
So currently there are too many Northern and Midland clubs at level 4. 
Which means two Midlands clubs get to play in Nat 2 S.

As Nat2 S is dominated by London clubs - the South Eastern clubs Leicestershire are the ones that tend to be transferred South. 

If they were to split level 4 into three the current L&SE is already more than 1/3 the population. So you would possibly want to move Hampshire into SW division and split the Midlands between North and SW.

But I am not sure if that helps with travel.

It would for teams in LSE.

Obviously the big problem is Devon & Cornwall which are significantly isolated in any National League scenario other than splitting a level into 4 rather than the proposed 3 or cypurrent 2.

Thanks to the M5 us bumpkins down here in Devon & Cornwall can get to the Midlands far more easily than we can to Hampshire.

Barnstaple - Worthing         = 194 miles / 4 hours
Barnstaple - Stourbridge     = 175 miles / 3 hours
Barnstaple - Rotherham(!)  = 264 miles / 4 hours 12 minutes

So actually splitting L4 into North, SW and SE would probably work best for Devon and Cornwall clubs. Although I'd miss going to Worthing.  

Just for the record, Worthing is in West Sussex not Hampshire - but I know what you mean.

Although I would say the last time I came back from Devon we were stuck on your M5 for an hour or so.
RAID ON
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 10:32
Interesting calculations on your travel time , did you calculate on Car or Coach , remember coaches should not go faster then 60 miles per hour, also coach drivers need 45 minutes break every 4hr 30min driving time and that is calculated from when he picks the coach up not when he picks up the team. So if his garage is 45 minutes from the pick up point then that has to be factored in. You are also assuming that everyone is at one pick up point every additional on can add a further 5-10 minutes to the journey time. You can split his rest break into 15 min and 30 min the first being whilst he is waiting at the club to pick up the team and a further 30 minutes during the journey time. I would also suggest that the journey times you quote do not include any time for hold ups which are very common on the motorways these days. getting through Birmingham on the M6/M5 or M40 can be a nightmare so journey times can increase dramatically. You also have to take into account the additional cost of long journeys as drivers total hours cannot exceed 11 hours on a daily basis which may require two drivers. this is usually for journeys over 230 miles. Remember all drivers hours are shown on his Tachograph.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 11:01
My guess is those are car - but the relative times will not change that much.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic