National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

What iff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What iff
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 16:55
Greetings all posters.
I trust you and your Families are all well.

In the light of the possibility of no Rugby at Nat 2 level until the New year may I pose the question of if we did start as normal, who do you think will do well as we now no the compositions of Nat 2s and 2n.

I am delighted personally that Leicester saw enough of us down South to stay with us , and they were a credit to our league last Season. Welcome Hinkley too whom I guess they had no option once Lions stayed South.

So I will start the ball rolling for 2 s top 5 Redruth, Henley, Esher, Lions, Worthing. in no particular order.

Stay well all at least we have golf Yipeeeee
another one against the head
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 16:59
Golf! I've really been enjoying walking in Home Park at Hampton Court without having to dodge the ill-aimed missiles!!

The issue will be whether or not we do a full season starting on 1st January or do a split League - South-East and South-West with play-offs.That way we can finish by the end of April and get ready for a full 14-team season in 2021/22. My arbitrary guess then would be Esher, Henley and Redruth for South-West; Lions, Hinckley and Rochford for South-East.
Old Hooker View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 17:12
Greetings Halliford you can still move fast enough to dodge missile. I am impressed!!!!!.
I take your point about restructured leagues , Heaven help splitting the 2 South, where will we all the fun go for great weekends away. I appreciate all the cost implication and potential. !!! I assume you have knowledge of Esher being in SW ?
However please stick to the Brief dear boy
Chin Chin
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 17:24
I heard a suggestion that if it the 20/21 starts in January it may only be home or away fixtures.
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 17:28
While SW would include Redruth, Banstaple, Clifton, Dings and Henly - who would join them from L&SE - we need three more.

Guernsey could if there were flights to Southampton instead of Gatwick.
But then which of Worthing, Esher, Barnes, Old Albanians, Leicester, Hinkley?

Only Bury St Edmunds, Westcliff, Rochford and Caterbury are definitively East in my view.

An alternative would be a single round robin with everyone playing everyone else either home or away - but not both.  I know that this gives some teams one more home game than others but needs must.

Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 17:38
So Camquin
As my original Q was a full season who do you fancy to do well. Wishful thinking I know but it is now wine time. Chin Chin
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 20:27
Hey I do not do predictions, I just run the prediction league.

I do think Redruth have deep roots so will do well - but do they really want to go up and have those long journeys.
Canterbury will regroup and get back to winning ways - but they now know what is needed if they are to challenge at 
level 3.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Squeeky View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 23:20
Esher seem intent on getting back to Nat 1 and have made a few decent signings https://www.esherrugby.com/news-blog/winterbottom-stengthens-esher-squad-with-focus-on-top-three-sides.html
The Old Elthamians senior academy scholarship at St Mary’s Uni Has fallen through and they’ve have signed Ciaran McGann from that fallout. A very strong centre. 
Old Albanians look intent on making a push for honours this season. I believe they’ve signed Andrew Nurse who was outstanding last season at full back for Cardiff Met in the Super BUCS. 
Be interesting to see how Rochford Hundred and Guernsey fare as they were both streets ahead of the rest in the L&SE Premier last season and that’s assuming that Guernsey get to play in this league? 
The financial fallout from COVID will have a huge influence on league positions for this coming season.

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by Squeeky Squeeky wrote:

Esher seem intent on getting back to Nat 1 and have made a few decent signings https://www.esherrugby.com/news-blog/winterbottom-stengthens-esher-squad-with-focus-on-top-three-sides.html
The Old Elthamians senior academy scholarship at St Mary’s Uni Has fallen through and they’ve have signed Ciaran McGann from that fallout. A very strong centre. 
Old Albanians look intent on making a push for honours this season. I believe they’ve signed Andrew Nurse who was outstanding last season at full back for Cardiff Met in the Super BUCS. 
Be interesting to see how Rochford Hundred and Guernsey fare as they were both streets ahead of the rest in the L&SE Premier last season and that’s assuming that Guernsey get to play in this league? 
The financial fallout from COVID will have a huge influence on league positions for this coming season.

I thought Wimbledon were pushing Guernsey/Rochford very hard with the rest of the league trailing miles behind.

Does this make them strong or was the rest of the league weak or were they just better at winning close games?
RAID ON
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:13
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Squeeky Squeeky wrote:

I thought Wimbledon were pushing Guernsey/Rochford very hard with the rest of the league trailing miles behind.

Does this make them strong or was the rest of the league weak or were they just better at winning close games?

Probably all of those reasons Smile
Pace Power Perfection
sidelined View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidelined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:06
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

While SW would include Redruth, Banstaple, Clifton, Dings and Henly - who would join them from L&SE - we need three more.

Guernsey could if there were flights to Southampton instead of Gatwick.
But then which of Worthing, Esher, Barnes, Old Albanians, Leicester, Hinkley?

Only Bury St Edmunds, Westcliff, Rochford and Caterbury are definitively East in my view.

An alternative would be a single round robin with everyone playing everyone else either home or away - but not both.  I know that this gives some teams one more home game than others but needs must.

I believe that you can now fly to Guernsey from Exeter, which would help. So you could put Guernsey in the SW group.
I'm sure Worthing wouldn't mind going SWWink
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 14:25
You bet Sidelined, some great weekends away
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by Old Hooker Old Hooker wrote:

You bet Sidelined, some great weekends away

Personally, I would rather see a half season based on playing 15 games either home or away with a 16th fixture against your local rivals to balance the home/away.

I would also suggest only 2 be relegated at the end of the season and 1 going up - I.e. Removing play-offs for this season.

starting 1st week in January finishing last week in April - removing the free weeks.
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 16:03
I think we may have a wholesale reorg after next season - so who knows how many will be promoted or relegated. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 16:59
The smoke signals suggest that the reorganisation for 21/22 is still going to happen. 14 teams at National 1 and 42 in 3 Leagues at National 2.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 17:12
So unless there are changes in the Championship that would be 4 down 2 up from Nat 1.
And no relegation from Nat 2 and eight promoted from Level 5 (2 per league).

The question is what will they do at levels 5-10?
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 19:39
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

So unless there are changes in the Championship that would be 4 down 2 up from Nat 1.
And no relegation from Nat 2 and eight promoted from Level 5 (2 per league).

The question is what will they do at levels 5-10?

I may be wrong - I hope I am - but the longer the time before we restart PROPER rugby then the higher the chance of some clubs going to the wall.
RAID ON
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Golf! I've really been enjoying walking in Home Park at Hampton Court without having to dodge the ill-aimed missiles!!

Unnecessary travel!  What's wrong with the American Golf opposite the dump? Wink
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:34
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Unnecessary travel!  What's wrong with the American Golf opposite the dump? Wink

Not living there at the moment! Co-habiting with the new partner to save costs! Anyway I'm trying to avoid golf!!

Waiting for the EcoPark to open for cardboard, my shed is so full I cant get to the BBQ!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 15:26
I take it the cardboard is empty wine cases
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic