National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

International Qualification - Event Date: 25 May 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: International Qualification
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 08:47
I've read the article about Hadleigh Parkes going to Japan to play and I think we need to discontinue the
3 year qualification  I really believe it should be down to you or your parents place of birth. 
Forget grandparents. Parkes came over here at the invitation of his coach Pivac.Went to play for Wales and all the money that got him. Now he is off to Japan but all his worldly goods are in a container back to 
New Zealand ,his country of birth but where he wasn't good enough to play for. 
I'm sure there are a lot of centres in Wales who have missed out on International caps who agree with me 

Edited by tulip - 26 May 2020 at 08:48
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 09:06
Totally agree. Scotland have a number of young white South African players living in Scotland with the intention of qualifying in the future as due to circumstances in SA they unlikely to get international/pro rugby opportunity. These so called 'project' players besmirch the history of rugby in that and many other countries. If we are not careful we will end up with the Barbarians v the Barbarians for international rugby matches.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 09:11
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I've read the article about Hadleigh Parkes going to Japan to play and I think we need to discontinue the
3 year qualification  I really believe it should be down to you or your parents place of birth. 
Forget grandparents. Parkes came over here at the invitation of his coach Pivac.Went to play for Wales and all the money that got him. Now he is off to Japan but all his worldly goods are in a container back to 
New Zealand ,his country of birth but where he wasn't good enough to play for. 
I'm sure there are a lot of centres in Wales who have missed out on International caps who agree with me 

Agree totally its daft when if you look at the England set up the largest and allegedly richest nation in the game now imports players knowing in 3 years and 1 hour they can be played. Saves all those years of hard work coaching and developing players
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 09:20
Couldn't agree more - where you are born and your parents nationality should be sufficient. That way you at least have a choice.

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

Couldn't agree more - where you are born and your parents nationality should be sufficient. That way you at least have a choice.

That would seem appropriate to me - after all an international is supposed to be between the 2 countries involved, not between players who have no birth connection with the countries.

Scotland's project Saffers are a blatant twisting of the rules as they have been brought to Scotland by the SRU purely to qualify for Scotland.
RAID ON
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 17:45
We've had enough arguments about bending the rules over the past couple of days!
donnyladinsheffield View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyladinsheffield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 18:42
My thought excatly when I read this.

All countries as bad as each other. 

I would not even allow anyone, parentage or otherwise, to play for a country they were not a national of.  That allows those who have come over as juniors or those that show a long tem commitment to play (as long as not played for another nation).

Uk nationality does rather Rhubarb up that as an ideal measure for home nations but its a start.

Edited by donnyladinsheffield - 26 May 2020 at 18:42
He's alright and he don't care; He's got thermal underwear
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 18:58
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Totally agree. Scotland have a number of young white South African players living in Scotland with the intention of qualifying in the future as due to circumstances in SA they unlikely to get international/pro rugby opportunity. These so called 'project' players besmirch the history of rugby in that and many other countries. If we are not careful we will end up with the Barbarians v the Barbarians for international rugby matches.

You can't blame the saffas for wanting to come here to get a chance when they are being racially discriminated against in their native country.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 19:49
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

You can't blame the saffas for wanting to come here to get a chance when they are being racially discriminated against in their native country.

Fair point and a reason so many Saffas are over here playing sport - I don't blame them just the system and the nation bending it.

The qualification rule is meant for people who move to a country of their own volition not for a Country to target young sportsmen and bring them over to qualify.
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic