National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Bedford - Northampton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 11:44
From memory, this is very much the model proposed by the RFU a couple of years ago?

From the Internet report I have just read, It would seem Bedford were in big trouble before this arrangement.

I wonder if they will get the same amount of stick Hartpury do?
RAID ON
Deerhunter2 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deerhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:01
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

From memory, this is very much the model proposed by the RFU a couple of years ago?

From the Internet report I have just read, It would seem Bedford were in big trouble before this arrangement.

I wonder if they will get the same amount of stick Hartpury do?
I don’t think “in trouble” is correct, more fiscally astute.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:04
If it means game time for promising players it must be good. The saddest thing is to see players at Premiership clubs kicking their heels.
Other clubs should welcome playing against good players.
I take the point about identity, but that's Bedford's problem.Better than just sinking.
pappashanga
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:05
To be fair Hartpury used the players from other clubs to get them to the Championship, and then used their affiliations to save them from relegation. Hartpury has a couple of hundred supporters at best so doesn't even fund themselves from that income etc.

Whereas Bedford has got themselves here, have the fan base to hold themselves here, just struggling a bit in the current climate but will be able to operate well as as a semi-pro outfit at this level. I do not think they should be compared the same - not yet, perhaps in 3 to 5 years if they lose their identity (which I doubt they will).

Edited by castleparknight - 26 Jun 2020 at 12:07
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:12
Yes reference was to Hartpury . . . a team rather than a club.
Run with it
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

If this is what it's coming to (and it's obviously what PRL and the RFU want), then I'm out.

Come and watch Moseley. 😁
Little. And none.
Our City,
Our Club
TAS63 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAS63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:44
For me this is all about how the arrangement is actually executed and delivered. 

Saints players dropping in and out, with no continuity is the worst solution. To Pappashanga's point that loses the Blues identity and it becomes Saints B. We have risked this at Goldington Road, at times, with other arrangements we've had - be in Saracens, Leicester or previous Northampton dalliances - but come through it. It loses all supporter / player relationships and that's not what the experience is about for me.

Done well, and we have also seen this with the previous arrangements, the majority of the players are with us most of a season - with a few on the edges dropping in and out, either through injury return or just getting more game time as required. This can work for everyone.

I think the bit that's "new" to me is the comments on the coaching side. With Ian Vass and Jake Sharp at Saints, and Alex Rae and Paul Tupai at the Blues, some existing connections and relationships seem obvious. Style of play will be an interesting challenge I suspect, but it's got more chance of working with Chris Boyd at Saints than it did with Jim Mallinder and Alan Gaffney. And a huge chunk of the Blues identity for me, is the style of play. 

Financially it makes the biggest sense at this time. And, let's be honest, I suspect that is the over-riding driver.
Old Blue View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:46
Just received a copy of the Blues accounts for the last financial year. They made a small profit of £30k but the most interesting thing to me was the income breakdown. They received £659k from the RFU. I suspect that will go to £0 next year with RFU income collapsing because of Covid. So they need to find the £659k from somewhere else (?) or change the model.
I would have thought they have made the right decision.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 14:30
Originally posted by Old Blue Old Blue wrote:

Just received a copy of the Blues accounts for the last financial year. They made a small profit of £30k but the most interesting thing to me was the income breakdown. They received £659k from the RFU. I suspect that will go to £0 next year with RFU income collapsing because of Covid. So they need to find the £659k from somewhere else (?) or change the model.

As I said, the article said 'a lifeline' - you may be correct, at best they will need to find £330k extra this coming season or any amount up to £660k.

Not sure many championship clubs will be able to do that.

It seems the RFU have re-thought their ideas of the Championship from being a 2nd level fully professional league to a top-level recreational league.

A number of other clubs are likely to follow IMO.
RAID ON
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 15:27
I think that this is a very good move for Bedford. Clearly funding is an issue everywhere for very obvious reasons, so pitching in with one of your nearest neighbours, who just happens to be one of the top sides in the country, seems like a very good thing to do until the current environment improves.
What's more, it may be a magnet for quality, up and coming players who want to be noticed at a higher level. What better way to do it than to be training with Saints coaches?
With regards to identity. Bedford are one of the top 'clubs' in the country and are in an elite few in this regard. They are known and respected the world over. This will not change and will always maintain their own club ethos and camaraderie and very much their own identity.
I really wish them well and can't wait to welcome them back to Jersey....along with you all!!   
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 16:08
Originally posted by Old Blue Old Blue wrote:

How much income was there from match days as that must be a major hit based on the tremendous support you get.   Hopefully fans will be allowed back in numbers in time but that may take till next season or if we have more daft days at the beaches even longer
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 16:31
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

It seems the RFU have re-thought their ideas of the Championship from being a 2nd level fully professional league to a top-level recreational league.

I think there's some truth in that - although actually I think (and I've been saying this both in public and on here since Mose were in the Championship so this isn't in any way sour grapes) that what they are really wanting, and will probably end up with, is "proper" rugby in the premiership and from National 1 down, with an invasion of the bodysnatchers at Level 2 where the husks of what used to be 12 clubs go through the motions at the Prem's bidding. They've been telegraphing it ever more strongly since about 2014, and while some might have thought that the nadir had been reached (and repelled) with the floating of the idea of "buddy clubs" the other year..... .....here we all are again. 

Put it this way, I'd much rather Mose were at level 2, but at the moment there are compensations for not being.
keep the faith
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 17:33
Luckily for Richmond, they are not beholden to Premiership clubs. They have the odd loanee, but mostly it's internal resources. In fact more so than when in Div2 South, when there were two dual registereds. Don't seem to have any of those any more. The ex Harlequins scrum half joined mid last season, but as a proper member while still coaching at Harlequins, from whom he retired last October.
If ever the season starts, it's going to be fun.
pappashanga
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 20:33
pappashanga
Perhaps we should have our own feeder club
How about LS ?
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 21:05
Originally posted by Member728 Member728 wrote:

pappashanga
How about LS ?

LS seem to be feeding us at the moment
keep the faith
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 18:00

pappashanga
How about LS ?

Member728

How many LS players have taken the step down and turned out for the co-tenants over the last couple of seasons? LOL
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 20:08
Originally posted by Exiled_Scots Exiled_Scots wrote:

pappashanga
How about LS ?

Member728

How many LS players have taken the step down and turned out for the co-tenants over the last couple of seasons? LOL
none have taken the step down 
but quite a few have taken the the step upSleepy
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 09:08
Richmond Scottish Rugby Club has an appealing sound - or if they can tease the lads down the road at ODP to join in a mega merger Richmond Scottish & Welsh Rugby Club. Irish & Ealing may want to follow the trend.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 09:18
Richmond Scottish Rugby Club has an appealing sound - 
certainly better than 
Scottish Richmond  Rugby ClubWink
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 20:11

Originally posted by Exiled_Scots Exiled_Scots wrote:

pappashanga
How about LS ?

Member728

none have taken the step down 
but quite a few have taken the the step upSleepy

Yes joining a club that was relegated and playing in the league below is a “step up” LOLLOL
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic