National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Bedford - Northampton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:58
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by McGee McGee wrote:

Originally posted by Dan Gleebles Dan Gleebles wrote:

As a supporter there is little you can do except vote with your feet. 

Like many others, been there done that, also seen some good rugby elsewhere.
With Saints behind them Blues will surely be top 4 and a winning side at GR will pack them in and ensure a great atmosphere. For the purists I suspect there will be cracking club rugby nearby at Amps. I hope to see both but can the Saints imports wear their club socks please? Winning rugby must be really important I guess.

I think it is financial survival that is at the top of the agenda, rather than winning.
RAID ON
Dave the Dog View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave the Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 13:19

Dan - I'm not sure you can be a supporter of a club without supporting the club.  Unless by voting with your feet you mean walking down to Goldington Road when rugby resumes.

McGee - I'm assuming you're using "like many others" in the same way that Trump does - i.e. just him or him and his yes men.  I've not noticed a significant drop off in support over the years.

SmileWink
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 13:46

With Saints behind them Blues will surely be top 4 and a winning side at GR will pack them in and ensure a great atmosphere. For the purists I suspect there will be cracking club rugby nearby at Amps. I hope to see both but can the Saints imports wear their club socks please? Winning rugby must be really important I guess.

Wishing no ill will on Bedford - the Top 4 will depend on the quality of the squad they retain (tbh - I do not know how good those who are remaining are - likelihood are some are good some aren't and probably squad players), and the quality of the players that are "signed" to them by Northampton and how good they are - considering they are unlikely to be top 3 choices in the Northampton squad based on the reasons stipulated in said agreement mentioned by their Chairman you would have to wonder what abilities they will bring to Bedford that Bedford couldn't do prior to this other than assisting with the purse strings. If Northampton has a great squad in depth then yes Bedford have every chance of being high up the table, conversely, if they don't well .....?

What I do agree with is that Bedford is very much likely to be around in 3 years time - which can only be good news for them and their supporters. 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 15:44
The players Blues have retained are all quality players and 1st choice, but also we have lost some decent players, both wingers. With only about 10-12 confirmed players (a third of a squad) until we know who else is coming from saints and signings it is just a waiting game! 

We have lost squad/utility players so I expect to see a real mixture from Saints with inexperienced growing through the season when required.

Edited by The Blues - 23 Jul 2020 at 23:03
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 16:25
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

The players Blues have retained are all quality players and 1st choice, but also we have lost some decent players, both wingers. With only about 10-12 confirmed players (a third of a squad) until we know who else is coming from saints and signings it is just a waiting game! 

We have lots squad/utility players so I expect to see a real mixture from Saints with a he inexperienced growing through the season when required.

Hope it goes ok for you the worry I would have is if Saints are sending certain players will they then be expected to play and if so what happens to your good players if they are in the same position.
Dan Gleebles View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Gleebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 16:33
Originally posted by Dave the Dog Dave the Dog wrote:

Dan - I'm not sure you can be a supporter of a club without supporting the club.  Unless by voting with your feet you mean walking down to Goldington Road when rugby resumes.

McGee - I'm assuming you're using "like many others" in the same way that Trump does - i.e. just him or him and his yes men.  I've not noticed a significant drop off in support over the years.

SmileWink
I will be there, vote has been cast. Thanks for asking. 
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 20:33
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

We have lots squad/utility players so I expect to see a real mixture from Saints with a he inexperienced growing through the season when required.

Hope it goes ok for you the worry I would have is if Saints are sending certain players will they then be expected to play and if so what happens to your good players if they are in the same position.

Chris Boyd was clear that the saints players have to earn the right to start. His view is if they are good enough to be considered future saints players, then they should be able to force themselves into our lineup and if they can’t get into our team then they probably aren’t ready for the step up. I would say about 7 of our current retained players are nailed on starters. Whoever saints give us, they’re not going to displace Rich Lane from full back for example. Not sure if this type of thing will be factored into the players we receive.

Personally, for the reasons mentioned above I don’t expect us to be challenging towards the top of the table. Given our access to them, these are likely to be very fringe saints players. Some of these will no doubt be useful players, but some of them will probably turn out to not be high end championship players yet. I’m hoping we have Connor Tupai who would likely be our regular 9 and make a big impact, but I think we’d only get a player of his quality due to his personal links with the club (he is a fan after all).

Make no mistake though, this deal has not been made with the aim of pushing for a high league position. It’s been made to secure our financial health for the next 3 years whilst the pandemic/funding/league structure is in flux and, hopefully, to secure still being in the 2nd tier of English rugby at the end of it.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Dave the Dog View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave the Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 09:53

I will be there, vote has been cast. Thanks for asking. 

That great news Dan, sorry for any misunderstanding on my part!Thumbs Up
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 12:12
Just catching up, a lot of bitterness!! 

I don't think I've watched a game in recent years without both sides having premiership players in their side, who were loaned, lent or whatever the excuse was.

Most clubs have informal arrangements where players come and go and there is no consistency, all Bedford have done is formalise it.........

What makes me smile is that the "Bedford" fans who have voted with their feet where never happy anyway and spent most of time moaning even when we did well!

I will be there, look forward to it, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would be too concerned with final table position, we'll be glad to be there at all and will welcome everyone to our ground!
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

Just catching up, a lot of bitterness!! 

I don't think I've watched a game in recent years without both sides having premiership players in their side, who were loaned, lent or whatever the excuse was.

Most clubs have informal arrangements where players come and go and there is no consistency, all Bedford have done is formalise it.........

What makes me smile is that the "Bedford" fans who have voted with their feet where never happy anyway and spent most of time moaning even when we did well!

I will be there, look forward to it, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would be too concerned with final table position, we'll be glad to be there at all and will welcome everyone to our ground!

Bedford have a level of support that most clubs would love to achieve. It's a proper rugby club and the match day atmosphere at Goldington Road is brilliant. Pirates always have ding-dong battles with The Blues and the games are always a highlight of the season. Really looking forward to our next visit.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 17:32

Don't worry you will be able to tell the Saints imports as they will be the only ones able to afford to wear socks!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 21:05
Blues have already had their influence on Saints! The “year 2030” takeover is on!

Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 21:39
Hey all clubs have to do what they need to survive, but really becoming a N/hampton 2nd XV really begs the question why . . what is the point. Clubs need to get back to being clubs with thriving self supported 2nd Xvs, 3rds mini and juniors, vets and womens teams.

Best of luck Bedord, I am sure you will have great success on the pitch and you have a fantastic support . . but what have you become?
Run with it
clieves View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:47
Can someone explain the angst here ... How many "home grown local" players are in any of the Championship first choice starting XV's? Why does it matter that the players running out in Blue next year happen to also be linked to the Saints? Why does this take away the "spirit" of Bedford? Bedford have been signing players from all over for decades, one could argue that having access to the Saints fringe players (most of whom are local lads) will make Bedford more "home grown" than they are today ! 
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 18:22
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

Hey all clubs have to do what they need to survive, but really becoming a N/hampton 2nd XV really begs the question why . . what is the point. Clubs need to get back to being clubs with thriving self supported 2nd Xvs, 3rds mini and juniors, vets and womens teams.

Best of luck Bedord, I am sure you will have great success on the pitch and you have a fantastic support . . but what have you become?

I think it is more what have they stayed and they have stayed Bedford Blues RFC rather than Bedford Blues RFC deceased.
PercyR View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PercyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:39
Why are there only two alternatives, live on thanks to charity or die? It's poignant that this Forum was born because Wakefield disappeared as an entity, but they were unusual because they did not own any infrastructure. There are more clubs in recent decades that gave up trying to be pro or semi-pro, dropped to the bottom of the league structure and are still alive as amateur community clubs playing out of their historic grounds.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 14:08
It clearly isn't charity unless you think Northampton Saints are a philanthropic organisation.

True they could make all their staff redundant and carry on as an amateur club at the lower levels if it came to it but maybe those running Bedford Blues think that the actions they have taken to protect jobs both on and off the field of play is the better approach.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

It clearly isn't charity unless you think Northampton Saints are a philanthropic organisation.

True they could make all their staff redundant and carry on as an amateur club at the lower levels if it came to it but maybe those running Bedford Blues think that the actions they have taken to protect jobs both on and off the field of play is the better approach.

As a person who remembers the darkness when Mr Warren left, and Voldemort, sorry Gurney tried to move us to Coventry, retaining Bedford Blues will always be our desire as supporters.

Thankfully prior to the CoVid issues those at the helm of the club have kept us staying safe. 
Looking forward to new beginnings.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 18:31
Players supplied by the premiership can be very disruptive. The receiving club feels a certain obligation to play the provided players and will upset dedicated Blues players who will be receiving less and less payment for playing with less and less game time.

When the players are loaned out semi long term it can work but in my opinion many players loaned to clubs are not the greatest players but there are the exceptions of course.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 20:52
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Players supplied by the premiership can be very disruptive. The receiving club feels a certain obligation to play the provided players and will upset dedicated Blues players who will be receiving less and less payment for playing with less and less game time.

When the players are loaned out semi long term it can work but in my opinion many players loaned to clubs are not the greatest players but there are the exceptions of course.

All deals in the past and this one with Saints are on the basis the player has to earn the right to play.  Also the parent clubs have always supported and encouraged the policy, as if they can't earn the right to play for Blues then how will they ever get near the bench of the Premiership.

This often happens with new signings too.  Quite often the first few games see the retained players start instead of starting all the new signings.

Blues do not generally do pay per game deals.

You could argue that Ealing have not achieved their goal, partly due to poor coaching but also because the size of their squad leaves a lot of well paid but unhappy disruptive players carrying tackle bags and water bottles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic