National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU Return to rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 09:01
While I do not want to exonerate the RFU they are dealin with the only organisation even more incompetant the current British government. RFU need to get DCMS approval for decisions, while SRU talk to the slightly less chaotic Scottish administration.

Also I do not believe Englis Civil Servants are any less competent than a Scot, but the leadership seems more distracted.
Sweeney Delenda Est
greeneyed View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeneyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 09:58
Difficult to see how promotion and relegation can be valid in a truncated season. Imbalance in opposition in Home vs Away fixtures, and possible cancellations, as in RL, if a team (or even its staff or 3rd-teamers) shows up positive.
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:01
...which makes it more difficult for the RFU to implement any restructure at the end of this season. They should kick the plan into the short grass for another season.
Novocastrian View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:04
A player at Tynedale tested positive for Covid and the whole club now isn’t training. 

I think it may take longer than we all imagined to get back to playing?
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:29
Sadly Novo you are correct. keep seeing optimistic posts elsewhere of a November start..... well that's the absolute earliest and I can't see us getting there when HM Gov can't decided whats what and as you point out soon as someone tests positive and has trained with that Group/Club they all have to twiddle thumbs for 14 days! I'm still sticking with a 2021 restart but my hoped for January is looking less likely.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:09
I do find it intriguing to read the regular announcements of numbers. The number of cases is ticking up but the number of deaths has dropped significantly, last day count was 7. It does seem that the increase in testing is identifying more people with the virus which raises the question that if we had been testing at this level in April/May would our case numbers actually have been exponentially higher? It's almost as if we have now seen most people who will die of the virus pass away and most new cases just get the virus, isolates and recovers. 

How that helps I don't know! We are taking up the RFU idea of Pitch Up to Rugby next weekend 12th/13th September and trying to encourage supporters and players to bring new friends. Mainly we are doing this to show the Community that we are open for rugby-linked activity.
BE57 REF View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BE57 REF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by DICKON DICKON wrote:

Think the RFU will be watching Scotland closely - grassroots rugby is back from 31st Oct there.

Let's not get too carried away here. True, the NCA website extract from the interview with Steve Grainger does say Scottish grassroots rugby "is back" from 31 October - but if you listen to the interview, it is not that clear. There is nothing on SRU website (as far as I can see!) to confirm restart on 31 October, other than this as a target date on the SRU roadmap released on 3 July - see https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/return-to-rugby-roadmap

Grainger makes the point that the SRU approach has been to push for dates even though these may have to be pushed back if conditions require; RFU approach is more cautious but progress can be accelerated if conditions permit.

Under the SRU roadmap, stage 4 (same as RFU Stage D - modified contact), which has a target date of August, can not start until the Scottish Government reaches Phase 4 of its routemap, and return to competitive rugby at Stage 6 (same as RFU Stage F) will be some way behind that - but Scottish press reports indicate that Scotland is still in Phase 3 and will not reach Phase 4 until at least 1 October - see https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/when-phase-4-scotland-date-scottish-government-could-ease-lockdown-restrictions-and-next-review-details-2908941

This does not support any expectation that competitive grassroots rugby will restart in Scotland any time soon. I would love to be wrong (so please correct me if I have misunderstood) - but I don't think it is helpful of NCA to suggest that Scotland will be back by 31 October, thereby creating false expectations south of the border. Separate posters have referred to Bill Sweeney looking to a November restart for the community game in England but many will regard even that as optimistic.

Just call me "Sir".
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 15:00
Originally posted by BE57 REF BE57 REF wrote:

This does not support any expectation that competitive grassroots rugby will restart in Scotland any time soon. I would love to be wrong (so please correct me if I have misunderstood) - but I don't think it is helpful of NCA to suggest that Scotland will be back by 31 October, thereby creating false expectations south of the border. Separate posters have referred to Bill Sweeney looking to a November restart for the community game in England but many will regard even that as optimistic.

I too have not seen anything to suggest grassroots rugby will be restarting in Scotland on 31st October. 

Edited by WEvans - 04 Sep 2020 at 15:01
Stoo The Zoom View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoo The Zoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 18:24
Here is a report from Rouen Normandie Rugby, apparently one of their players tested positive for the virus
 "In light of the new results obtained in the COVID tests on Tuesday, September 1, the medical commission of the NRL has decided to postpone the match of Friday, September 4, which was to oppose the RNR to the US Carcassonne to a later date.
We are very sorry for this situation because we were delighted to meet you all at Stade Mermoz to start this new season."
  The only emission is how long the whole team have to isolate.  
How long before it happens here?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 19:50
Originally posted by Stoo The Zoom Stoo The Zoom wrote:

Here is a report from Rouen Normandie Rugby, apparently one of their players tested positive for the virus
 "<span style="color: rgb24, 24, 24; font-family: Lato, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">In light of the new results obtained in the COVID tests on Tuesday, September 1, the medical commission of the NRL has decided to postpone the match of Friday, September 4, which was to oppose the RNR to the US Carcassonne to a later date.</span><div dir="ltr" style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; color: rgb24, 24, 24; font-family: Lato, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
<div style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; color: rgb24, 24, 24; font-family: Lato, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><font style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align: inherit;">We are very sorry for this situation because we were delighted to meet you all at Stade Mermoz to start this new season."<div dir="ltr" style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; color: rgb24, 24, 24; font-family: Lato, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><div style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; color: rgb24, 24, 24; font-family: Lato, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><font style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align: inherit;">  The only emission is how long the whole team have to isolate.  <div style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; color: rgb24, 24, 24; font-family: Lato, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><font style="outline: 0px; -sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align: inherit;">How long before it happens here?

It has already happened several times in RL Super League - sometimes they have just changed fixtures around to get the maximum number of games in.
RAID ON
Blutarsky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blutarsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

I do find it intriguing to read the regular announcements of numbers. The number of cases is ticking up but the number of deaths has dropped significantly, last day count was 7. It does seem that the increase in testing is identifying more people with the virus which raises the question that if we had been testing at this level in April/May would our case numbers actually have been exponentially higher? It's almost as if we have now seen most people who will die of the virus pass away and most new cases just get the virus, isolates and recovers. 

There is a lag between a rise in case numbers and a rise in deaths. People don’t catch the virus and die immediately, but deteriorate over time before passing away. 
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Blutarsky Blutarsky wrote:

There is a lag between a rise in case numbers and a rise in deaths. People don’t catch the virus and die immediately, but deteriorate over time before passing away. 

The reason we had stupidly high death statistics earlier was because of overzealous/lazy doctors who were just putting corona down as a cause of death without the test results to support it.  The reason why deaths are much lower now is because more people are being tested and they stopped doctors putting corona on death certificates without a valid test result plus we now know about certain steroids that assist with treatment.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 09:29
Don't know why the RFU/NCA don't just come out  and put everybody out of their misery and say we are not looking to start before Jan, with a possible half a season, we will update everybody on Nov 1st. That way everybody could plan accordingly!! 
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:43
The RFU has said its next update will be on 2nd October. The NCA website yesterday carried a statement from Bill Sweeney following the meeting that he and other sport leaders had with the Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden. I suspect that the DCMS and the Treasury are now arguing over how much funding the Government can provide to help Clubs survive the winter.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 11:48
Can't see any club rugby until a vaccine  or other medical breakthrough arrives. Very  sad.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:15

The RFU has said its next update will be on 2nd October. The NCA website yesterday carried a statement from Bill Sweeney following the meeting that he and other sport leaders had with the Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden. I suspect that the DCMS and the Treasury are now arguing over how much funding the Government can provide to help Clubs survive the winter.

That really has nothing to do with club rugby, that will all be about Prem and England set up. I'd not hold out for much hope at getting any windfall down at level 4, mind you, I think you will get the square route of sweet FA at level 2!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Originally posted by Blutarsky Blutarsky wrote:

The reason we had stupidly high death statistics earlier was because of overzealous/lazy doctors who were just putting corona down as a cause of death without the test results to support it.  The reason why deaths are much lower now is because more people are being tested and they stopped doctors putting corona on death certificates without a valid test result plus we now know about certain steroids that assist with treatment.

Whilst currently deaths of those who are infected lies at 1%.
Apparently what they have discovered is mechanical ventilation might not be the right solution. https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1332330/coronavirus-latest-news-coronavirus-uk-lockdown-uk-cases-ventilators-boris-johnson

Looking forward to new beginnings.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

That really has nothing to do with club rugby, that will all be about Prem and England set up. I'd not hold out for much hope at getting any windfall down at level 4, mind you, I think you will get the square route of sweet FA at level 2!

I really feel the same.
Football and Rugby League have played on how they are heart of a community at lower levels. Yet in some places, Bedford the rugby is an important part of the community, and across Cornwall seems a number of prominent clubs in communities there. But the RFU don’t seemed to have banged that drum.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

I really feel the same.
Football and Rugby League have played on how they are heart of a community at lower levels. Yet in some places, Bedford the rugby is an important part of the community, and across Cornwall seems a number of prominent clubs in communities there. But the RFU don’t seemed to have banged that drum.

I think the RFU drum went in the previous round of funding cuts
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 16:13
There was a piece on Today a few days ago where RFU and Moseley were making that point. 
Getting coverage in the media is hard - and the RFU has chosen to only talk about England and the 12 chosen clubs for 20 years.
People know about small soccer clubs because they hear the classified results every Saturday.
You could be forgiven for thinking that there are only ever 6 games of Rugby played in England.

Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic