National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU Return to rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 23:08
This is only an illustration if the changes took place now.

The changes require four down from Nat 1 and two up to make a 14 team National 1.
In which case you would have gone down.

But it will not happen for another season, so you get a chance of survival next season.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 23:47
Probably very similar to the Leagues I suggested about a year ago on a similar thread! I think this supports my argument for the Leagues to be based around the Motorway network. 3 Leagues removes the Divisions from the equation and the mileage should be balanced with ease of travel. Canterbury are arguably as much of an outlier as are Redruth and even Worthing isn’t a quick journey. Esher could go either East or West, we have better access to the M4 and M40 than the M1.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 00:55
I am not sure the divisions survive - or perhaps there should be three new conferences and 24 new CBs with eight CBs in each  new conference running one of the level 7 leagues and their feeders.

The current divisions are mainly based on the railway network - I agree is we are looking at minimizing travel it should be time not distance. But what are we looking to minimize. Overall travel, overall travel for a club, the longest single journey for a club -which you prioritize will give different answers.

The other solution is not to level transfer and to simply fill the leagues geographically and accepting differences in numbers means different numbers will be promoted in different leagues. The problem there is that the club that would drop down is not the same as the one that would be level transferred. 

Sweeney Delenda Est
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 08:41
Hopper. If you have heating in the clubhouse and the Red wine is at a decent temp I am sure we will copeWink
Another one against the head
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 08:43
Interesting debate this one:

Lets face facts Saracens will be back in the Prem 22/23 season. If its correct or not is another matter, but with the player base they have they have to be. No slight on Ealing but sorry that cannot happen, you cannot buy your way into the Prem.

I can see the Prem going to 13 sides with all stakeholders in play. I can also see the Champ going to 13.
Making both 24 game league seasons, which makes perfect sense on all fronts, player burn out, rest weeks, playing league rugby on same weekends etc etc 

Prem will not be ring fenced, they cannot, you play sport to strive to get to the top. But it will be a home and away play off bottom of Prem v top of Champ each season for that final spot, so they have left the door not open but ajar and therefore ticked all boxes.

If that happens it would leave Champ with 11 sides : No relegation 21/22 season and top 3 from National 1 at end of 21/22 season go up. That would also ease the pressure at the bottom, with just bottom side going down and top of National 2 North and South going up.

There is no way you can have bottom 4 sides in a league or 25% of the league going down. The odds are that the 4th from bottom side in National 1, no matter who they are would comfortably beat the winners of National 2 South and North. Also the 4th from bottom side would make National 2 a joke for whatever league they are in the following season.

In my view the top 3 sides on any given season would hold their own in the Champ, even more so now many clubs are not full time.

This the leaves 3 leagues of 14 below National 1.

Edited by Scrumtime - 29 Dec 2020 at 09:46
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

There is no way you can have bottom 4 sides in a league or 25% of the league going down.
I wouldn't put anything past them.
I remember six of a 13-team Division Two being relegated!
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

There is no way you can have bottom 4 sides in a league or 25% of the league going down.
I wouldn't put anything past them.
I remember six of a 13-team Division Two being relegated!
Now I think on, it might even have been seven...
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:39
I would point out that last seasons promoted side was Rams, and they beat most people, not just the bottom four.

When the Championship was created it was five down and one up - and that was imposed mid season. No waiting for the next season because they could not change the rules after the season started. But they felt they could not deny the old National 2 any promotion. Of course, it stuffed the team that narrowly came second - now who would that have been, and why would I remember.

Four down is only one more than at the moment - and it will need to be 3 from 14 going down in subsequent years.

The current proposal assumes the Premiership and Championship stay the same size - I do not believe they will but that is out of our control.  But yes, if they increase there will be fewer down from Nat 1.

Sweeney Delenda Est
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 11:19
What ever the breakdown of the initial three level 4 leagues, the issue in future seasons will be level transfer between the leagues. It would be possible for all three of Nat 1 to be from the North so two sides from the North would go South East or South west making some horrendous journeys for these teams. So much for reducing travel being reduced. The only realistic option would be to revert to the old system which meant that if three were relegated into a lover league then those relegations would have a ripple effect on the leagues in their pyramid.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 13:34
I have just looked at a possible North Midlands South split.

As far as I can tell the North is unchanged.
The Midlands stretch from Sheffield down to the Thames -  including Henley, Rochford and Westcliff.
The South is the long thin sliver from Redruth to Canterbury with the London clubs included.

Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 15:44
Back in the days before leagues we travelled to Kings Lynn and Saffron Waldon in the  east, St Albans was about as far south as we went. Warrington and Sheffield in the north Brum as far west as went. A 4 day Easter tour to Swansea finished off the season.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 20:30
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I have just looked at a possible North Midlands South split.

As far as I can tell the North is unchanged.
The Midlands stretch from Sheffield down to the Thames -  including Henley, Rochford and Westcliff.
The South is the long thin sliver from Redruth to Canterbury with the London clubs included.

Well that's 2/3 of level 4 fairly content whilst the Southern teams pay for the success of having 2 teams promoted most years whilst 2 northern/midland teams are relegated most years from level 3.

Has anyone suggested splitting Level 3 into North/Midlands and South?
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 21:30
The earlier version of the NCA proposal mentioned it - but the V4 proposal currently on the RFU website simply leaves the arrangement of leagues at levels 4,5 and 6 vague - it also simply fails to define the structure at levels 8,9 and 10. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 00:22
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

Originally posted by Even Older Hooker Even Older Hooker wrote:

I take it no account has been taken of the many crazy club supporters who at our own cost travel all over to support our clubs and have great weekends away enjoying the company of opposition supporters? weekends in Cornwall Devon et al.

Nothing is stopping you carrying on doing that

That will depend how the level 4 split is done - there seems to be 2 options

1) south and south east, south west and midland, north.   Or

2) south, Midlands and north

Neither does much to reduce the travelling because of the remote location of Redruth in perticular, but also Barnstaple.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered 4 leagues at level 4

South west and West Midlands
Sussex, Hampshire, Surrey & Kent
East Midlands and East England
North

He can go to Devon any weekend regardless of rugby. Don’t be basing playing structure on what non players think
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:52

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Even Older Hooker Even Older Hooker wrote:

I take it no account has been taken of the many crazy club supporters who at our own cost travel all over to support our clubs and have great weekends away enjoying the company of opposition supporters? weekends in Cornwall Devon et al.

Nothing is stopping you carrying on doing that

That will depend how the level 4 split is done - there seems to be 2 options

1) south and south east, south west and midland, north.   Or

2) south, Midlands and north

Neither does much to reduce the travelling because of the remote location of Redruth in perticular, but also Barnstaple.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered 4 leagues at level 4

South west and West Midlands
Sussex, Hampshire, Surrey & Kent
East Midlands and East England
North

He can go to Devon any weekend regardless of rugby. Don’t be basing playing structure on what non players think

I'm not - just pointing out the problem is the remoteness of teams in Devon & more particularly Cornwall.
RAID ON
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 14:26
Monkey Boy.
I understand that we must consider what is best for the players. However do not forget that many clubs , unless they have a "Sugar Daddy" rely heavily on our membership fee gate money and hospitality !!!
I do not know what your club is if any. But I suggest the supporters there would fell similar to me.
Please do not be so dismissive

Another one against the head
Offside194 View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Offside194 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 14:33
Puzzled by your selection Camquin.
Mine assumes 14 team Premier and champ. leaving:
N1                                        N2N                              N2SW                                          N2SE
DMP                                Roth                               Redruth                                        Cant
Plym                                Hull Ion                          Clift                                               O.As
O Elt                                Hull                                Bournv                                          Hinck
Camb                               Sedg Pk                        Stourb                                           Worth
Cind                                 Chester                         Luct                                               Esher
B. Stort                            Tynedale                        Dings                                            BSE
Sale                                 Wharfd                           Barnst                                           L Lions
Moseley                           Sheff.Tig                        Okehamp                                      Barnes
Leeds                              Hudd                              W S Mare                                      Westcl
T Judd                             Blaydon                         Bridgn                                            Rochf
Taunt                               Harrog                           Sandbach                                      Guernsey
Caldy                               Sandal                          Bromsgr                                         Loughb
Henley                             Billingham                     Macclesf                                        Wimb
Fylde                               Sheff                             Nuneaton                                       Hertford          
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 15:37
Originally posted by Offside194 Offside194 wrote:

Puzzled by your selection Camquin.
Mine assumes 14 team Premier and champ. leaving:
N1                                        N2N                              N2SW                                          N2SE
DMP                                Roth                               Redruth                                        Cant
Plym                                Hull Ion                          Clift                                               O.As
O Elt                                Hull                                Bournv                                          Hinck
Camb                               Sedg Pk                        Stourb                                           Worth
Cind                                 Chester                         Luct                                               Esher
B. Stort                            Tynedale                        Dings                                            BSE
Sale                                 Wharfd                           Barnst                                           L Lions
Moseley                           Sheff.Tig                        Okehamp                                      Barnes
Leeds                              Hudd                              W S Mare                                      Westcl
T Judd                             Blaydon                         Bridgn                                            Rochf
Taunt                               Harrog                           Sandbach                                      Guernsey
Caldy                               Sandal                          Bromsgr                                         Loughb
Henley                             Billingham                     Macclesf                                        Wimb
Fylde                               Sheff                             Nuneaton                                       Hertford          

Apples and pears - Camquin was assuming Premiership & Championship remained the same size as there is currently no published plans for otherwise.

However, it seems your assumption does leave a better geographic split.
RAID ON
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 16:00
Does it? Think Sandbach and Macclesfield might have issues travelling to Cornwall & Devon more than once! Any reason why Loughborough Students are in the South East when its further North than Nuneaton? same goes for Hinckley and Leicester Lions.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 16:22
Now you HAVE confused me!!! Why 4 Leagues when we are told there will be 3? Why are Sandbach, Nuneaton, Bromsgrove, Sheffield and Bridgnorth even in your equation??? Didn't finish high enough in Mids Prem to be elevated to level 4. Newport(Salop) finished 2nd but are excluded from your calculations - I'm sure there's others!?
The idea of four Leagues is a non-starter for me. Relegated sides from Level 3 playing mid table sides from Level5 is madness and won't be good for the game

Edited by Thatbloke - 30 Dec 2020 at 16:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic