National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > English Counties and County Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

County Championship Postponed Until 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: County Championship Postponed Until 2022
    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 13:19
The County Championship has been cancelled for 2021 and is due to return for 2022.

PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 13:57
Yes as posted 13th June
Apparently funding has been pulled from the Aspirational Pathway, no National sides at U18 Counties, U20 Counties and Senior Counties next season, knock effect means no Divisional sides at U18 and U20 and I guess would call in to question participation of County rugby at any level as that funding has also been pulled. Should make the anti-county lobby on here happy and will be the ammunition needed to kill off County rugby all together post CV-19. 
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 14:40
It was clear from the three windows that they were expecting league games to go on until the end of May. So there simply is no time for the County Championship if we start a month late and still try to get 30 games in.

I am no fan of the county championship as currently configured.
However, as many players claim they want more weeks off during the season for rest and recuperation.
One option would be to extend the league into May and play the CC in blocks in the middle of the season - similar to the way that european championship breaks up the current professional league.
I realise that there are issues with clubs sharing facilities with crictet clubs. - but I think it is worth exploring as a way to square the circle of clubs needing matches and players bodies needing rest.

Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 14:47
I also mentioned previously that Pro-Rugby sides cannot play two games a week given the battle of attrition that games are now.

Clearly my finger is well off the pulse.

Love to be a fly on the wall of the Team meeting when players who have just been handed a 25% pay cut get told they have to play twice a week!
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 14:54
I think they might trigger the fruit filter.
I also think there will be injuries.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I think they might trigger the fruit filter.
I also think there will be injuries.

It will be interesting how many players actually play twice in the week - given the size of squads, I would expect most clubs to rotate the players.

Also remember, some players play twice in a week on Lions tours.
RAID ON
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 19:32
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

I also mentioned previously that Pro-Rugby sides cannot play two games a week given the battle of attrition that games are now.

Clearly my finger is well off the pulse.

Love to be a fly on the wall of the Team meeting when players who have just been handed a 25% pay cut get told they have to play twice a week!

But haven't we always been told that no relegation would lead to more opportunities for the young/fringe players.

All teams have big enough squads that no one should need to play twice a week given there is no danger of relegation 
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 09:39
So the County Championship Men's and Women's Fixtures are due out in the next few days.

U20s already out and it would seem Gloucestershire & Eastern Counties are no longer participating.

Having just read the statement on the GRFU Website from a couple of weeks ago it seems purely financial and it has to be said not very equitable. no Senior Men's County Squad but a Women's Squad?  
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic