National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The perfect 10?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The perfect 10?
    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 22:42
so after watching the dan carter documentary I still believe Johnny was better however bar(Warren seals (DMP bias) who is the greatest 
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 09:06
Depends on what you want do you want an off the cuff brilliance but prone to the odd mistake then you go for Russell, Or Cipriani or my favourite Carlos Spencer or you go for the more technical player then you have Farrell, Wilkinson or Carter but can many on here remember watching Phil Bennett or maybe Barry John, it’s the old adage how do you compare the different generations
So many Christians not enough Lions
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:33
I'd go for Johnny, but I'm also a big fan of Michael Lynagh, especially playing with the Farr-Jones & Horan combination either side of him. Bit old-school I know.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 13:48
Shout out to Redruth for Richard Sharp - England captain, led to 5 Nations in '63 and '67 and on Lions tour in '62.

Sharp's wonder try vs Scotland 1963

Edited by FHLH - 13 Jul 2020 at 13:57
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 14:31
Well if we are going that far back, though I never saw him - Adrian Stoop introduced the concept off dedicated scrum  and fly halves to English rugby.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 15:56
Mark Ella. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
clieves View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 16:07
Bo Derek Smile
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 20:06
Ian McGeechan has recently selected his 'All time XV' for the Telegraph, although 'all time' seems only to stretch back to the late 60s/early 70s, which I thought was a cop out.

He chose Dan Carter.

Remember Wakefield RFC
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 08:26
The trouble is, you can't pick players based upon what you've read about them.  Unless you've seen Adrian Stoop or Haydn Tanner or Prince Obolensky you can't know how good they really were.

MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 09:45
I saw Barry John play a few times both for Cardiff and Wales.
He was astonishing good.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

The trouble is, you can't pick players based upon what you've read about them.  Unless you've seen Adrian Stoop or Haydn Tanner or Prince Obolensky you can't know how good they really were.

I disagree.  For some we have footage, for others we have the words of those who did see them play and whose opinions we should respect. 

As I said in the Telegraph comments if we believe that Dan Carter or Jonah Lomu etc are the "Greatest of All time" then by this logic the next generation who haven't seen them play won't be including them and will ignore the 'experts' and therefore degenerate what Carter, Lomu etc brought to the game. Therefore they are not the "Greatest of All time."

If the McGeechan team had been proposed as a "Best of the last fifty years XV" then that is a different argument, but "All time" is something different. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 13:21
I had a look for Mcgeechan's selection and only saw full back, or you have to subscribe. He says JPR Williams. My choice is H O de Villiers of South Africa who played in the late sixties till badly injured. I probably saw him play around 30 times. I've seen good full backs since, but none with his talent and capacity to surprise. He coached Percy Montgomery at school, but was better than him.
pappashanga
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 16:35
1st - Barry John

Miles behind - everyone else.
normski View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 23:42
My choice is Michael Lynagh.  Extraordinary game management skills and terrific box kicker. 
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 21:37
Wilkinson is the complete 10. Kicking , passing and a rare attribute of being a destructive tackler. Look on Youtube at Wilkinsons tackling footage against players twice his size. Try looking for any other number 10,s .....non existant.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 17:23
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

....and a rare attribute of being a destructive tackler.... Try looking for any other number 10,s .....non existant.

I'm in agreeance with you, but those crunching tackles on opposition forwards was always an aspect of his game I was never keen for him to pursue. I always thought there should have been a 6 or 7 there to make the tackles for him (most of the time anyway) Smile
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 17:31
Originally posted by All the Way All the Way wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

....and a rare attribute of being a destructive tackler.... Try looking for any other number 10,s .....non existant.

I'm in agreeance with you, but those crunching tackles on opposition forwards was always an aspect of his game I was never keen for him to pursue. I always thought there should have been a 6 or 7 there to make the tackles for him (most of the time anyway) Smile

Having watched so many fly halves act like a matador's cape, I was always a fan of JW
RAID ON
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 18:04
I have been reading about Jonny Wilkinson and his achievements in rugby. One amazing stat is that he has scored a try , penalty, conversion and drop goal all in one game at international level . He achieved this three times against Scotland, Wales and New Zealand. He also played in 84 internationals .

His tenacity and ability to recover from major injuries and finish his career at the top with Toulon winning the Heineken Cup against Saracens .

No other player comes anywhere near in my opinion.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic