National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic Closed"Buried" News?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Buried" News?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 04:10
Two extremely cogent news stories which appear to have (been?) slipped under the radar:

Perhaps some kind soul more accustomed to dealing with the powers that be can find a better source than that listed for the latter story (The Herald lacks credibility among the Plymouth faithful). The gist of the article is that Albion made an error similar to Rams on payments/material benefits.

I couldn't see anything on RFU or NCA...
Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 07:29
Reading the PARFC cae has made me rather cross
It's like the RFU don't realise that the game is tun by well meaning volunteers 
TigerTitan View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 09:30
would love to no how PARFC were getting confused about MATERIAL BENEFITS

sounds very fishy to me HMRC tax avoidance tax man knocking on door trouble same old rugby

Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 09:43
Unless I’m reading this the wrong way all clubs are facing a loss of travel subsidy:
“All ring-fenced onshore and offshore travel funding will be suspended for the 2020/21 season. Clubs who suffer financial distress as a result may be eligible for support from Club Support Fund (subject to confirmation of criteria).”
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:08
I have submitted my Club's Return this year and last. It wasn't easy in 2018/19, despite our payroll being managed through an accountancy firm. The Material Benefits clause could be awkward for those paying current students. I have some sympathy with PA but do recall that I held off submitting my Return until the last minute to check every query. Even then we were asked for contract details, which were satisfactory.

Losing the RFU Travel money is not disastrous, another effect of such a breach would be the loss of CB income, in our case over £50k so that would have been significant. Other Clubs that breached the "cap" didn't have that concern. 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:10
Originally posted by TigerTitan TigerTitan wrote:

sounds very fishy to me HMRC tax avoidance tax man knocking on door trouble same old rugby

Having run my own company in the past, I can see how volunteers could easily be confused about Benefits - what with reams and reams of HRMC documentation on the subject.
RAID ON
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:35
I just don't see how when PARFC were the ones that contacted the RFU to say they may have done it wrong, then corrected the error, and still get hammered.   Sorry, but I think that is petty and totally unwarranted 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 13:42
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

I just don't see how when PARFC were the ones that contacted the RFU to say they may have done it wrong, then corrected the error, and still get hammered.   Sorry, but I think that is petty and totally unwarranted 

I thought that has been the case in other instances
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 13:55
I have not seen the form, but I thought the point was that four officers had to sign it off.
The point being that each one should check it is accurate.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 14:20
I think the most famous case is in this neck of the woods was Medway RFC who complained about there players being poached and ended up a couple of leagues down, fined and other sanctions all around benefits in kind
So many Christians not enough Lions
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 16:17
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

I think the most famous case is in this neck of the woods was Medway RFC who complained about there players being poached and ended up a couple of leagues down, fined and other sanctions all around benefits in kind

Though Medway also originally claimed to the RFU that the players were amateur while they were giving them semi-pro benefits without declaring them. Medway's wasn't just an administrative oversight.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 16:34
Originally posted by TigerTitan TigerTitan wrote:

Your post doesn't make any sense at all. 
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 14:58
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Though Medway also originally claimed to the RFU that the players were amateur while they were giving them semi-pro benefits without declaring them. Medway's wasn't just an administrative oversight.
If you recall at the time Medway were castigated by all around them, yet it was well known other local clubs "amateur players" were benefitting from playing rugby, in the Kent press there was an article that clubs were poaching yet no one had followed their complaints up. My club was at L6 at the same time and we were very aware of players receiving material benefits and not just in Kent.

From my limited research, all the cases of clubs being disciplined are where the said club has made the RFU aware themselves, either through declaring their accounts for grants, loans or allowances or where a club has complained of players being poached.
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 16:46
Bit like Sarries in the AP. As you say at the time there was plenty of skullduggery going on probably still is
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 17:49
Originally posted by Cannon Cannon wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

If you recall at the time Medway were castigated by all around them, yet it was well known other local clubs "amateur players" were benefitting from playing rugby, in the Kent press there was an article that clubs were poaching yet no one had followed their complaints up. My club was at L6 at the same time and we were very aware of players receiving material benefits and not just in Kent.

From my limited research, all the cases of clubs being disciplined are where the said club has made the RFU aware themselves, either through declaring their accounts for grants, loans or allowances or where a club has complained of players being poached.

I can’t remember exactly but I think there were also immigration offences with Medway - players incorrectly declared as British.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 18:58
Not sure if they were declared British but they were  I think Kiwis And Medway had paid the flights and accommodation And not declared it from memory. I am not sure that they broke any regulations on the English front but will happily be corrected. From memory it was around this time that several clubs suddenly had a first XV Ltd as the loopholes started to close 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 23:59
Among the bad news, the staff at the former YC Academy have been made redundant.
As has the Kit manager.
Reported on the Leeds board and Linkedin posts.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Among the bad news, the staff at the former YC Academy have been made redundant.
As has the Kit manager.
Reported on the Leeds board and Linkedin posts.

I'm sure that they have been expecting it for some time, not that it makes things any easier.

Another nail in the coffin?
RAID ON
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:22
After Rams had a points deduction for roughly the same offence as Plymouth the RFU probably has no choice, but that doesn't stop them being total Huckleberrywombles when it comes to dealing with volunteers. 

Enjoying life!
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:24
I see that Chinnor have announced Delon Armitage as a Coach for the coming season. Bet he's cheap............ 
Enjoying life!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic