National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Delayed Re-start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delayed Re-start
    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:26
Just announced on the NCA website, no re-start in September for Level 3 and below. 

Fudgepacker View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fudgepacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:47
It will be January 2021 at the earliest. Probably now more likely September 2021. That's been blindingly obvious for months.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:47
At this stage I cannot see rugby before Christmas.
If we need four weeks at C, D and E then a couple of weeks of pre-season matches we might start the league in january.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 13:28
Originally posted by Deva Delinquent Deva Delinquent wrote:

Just announced on the NCA website, no re-start in September for Level 3 and below. 

banana

AngryAngry
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

At this stage I cannot see rugby before Christmas.
If we need four weeks at C, D and E then a couple of weeks of pre-season matches we might start the league in january.

We don't need four weeks between each stage except from E to F, to ensure  players have a month of proper contact training before playing a match.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 14:10
Originally posted by Fudgepacker Fudgepacker wrote:

It will be January 2021 at the earliest. Probably now more likely September 2021. That's been blindingly obvious for months.

I've always thought January would be the earliest, unless there is a vaccine widely available before hand.

Unfortunately, I have to agree, even that is looking unlikely as things are going.
RAID ON
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Fudgepacker Fudgepacker wrote:

I've always thought January would be the earliest, unless there is a vaccine widely available before hand.

Unfortunately, I have to agree, even that is looking unlikely as things are going.

I'm with you two, always thought the best we could hope for would be a January re-start unless a vaccine is found. 
Exiled in Mann View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Exiled in Mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 21:34
There is some community rugby going ahead as both Guernsey & the Isle of Man are presently free of Covid 19 having had closed borders and travel bans. Guernsey Raiders are therefore playing Douglas from the Isle of Man on Saturday the 15th in what might possibly be the first interclub game of rugby played at the community level in the northern hemisphere post Covid 19.

Should be a comfortable win for Guernsey as they are two leagues higher and at home but it is good to see at least some rugby being played. St Jacques Vikings also have a game later in the day against a Douglas development side per reports. 

There are also U14s-U18s games this Sunday in the IoM involving the Isle of Man and Guernsey Ccubs which I will be heading down to as it has been a long time since I have been able to watch a game at any level live with a beer in hand.

I do agree with Fudgepacker and I cannot see, that apart from some local interclub games in the Island, I am going to see any league rugby this year at the lower levels. That is a lot of excuses I need to find for avoiding shopping with the wife or doing bits around the house on a Saturday afternoon. 

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 22:15
So quarantine all of N2S on Guernsey and have them play all the matches there. Might drink the island dry of all their Liberation ale but at least we'd get a league going! LOL
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 18:30
The worrying thing (ok another worrying thing) is that if the leagues do restart what happens if and when we have another wave and a national or most likely local lockdowns? Will we have another truncated season like the last one?  
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled in Mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 22:53
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

The worrying thing (ok another worrying thing) is that if the leagues do restart what happens if and when we have another wave and a national or most likely local lockdowns? Will we have another truncated season like the last one?  

Local lockdowns are the worst scenario as a club could have some players free to play and others not. Or some teams in a league could be allowed to play and others not. Hopefully we will get some Rugby in post Christmas but I think it should be on a "friendly" basis with no relegation/promotion this season 
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 08:26
EinM, not sure how much your finger on pulse you have but I feel I need to mention a couple of points.

Firstly, Douglas have stated that the withdrawal of Travel Funding will leave them  short by a tune of circa £40K should they have to complete a full season so maybe a half-season or less will suit them but won't make the problem go away. Secondly the other IoM Clubs will be playing each other I guess as none of them appeared in the RFU League structure for 20/21.

Furthermore there might not be much in the way of relegation from the RFU Leagues for 21/22 but I think its planned to move up a majority of clubs irrespective if they finished 1st or 5th/6th in whatever league they are in.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 13:20
Originally posted by Exiled in Mann Exiled in Mann wrote:

There is some community rugby going ahead as both Guernsey & the Isle of Man are presently free of Covid 19 having had closed borders and travel bans. Guernsey Raiders are therefore playing Douglas from the Isle of Man on Saturday the 15th in what might possibly be the first interclub game of rugby played at the community level in the northern hemisphere post Covid 19.

Should be a comfortable win for Guernsey as they are two leagues higher and at home but it is good to see at least some rugby being played. St Jacques Vikings also have a game later in the day against a Douglas development side per reports. 

There are also U14s-U18s games this Sunday in the IoM involving the Isle of Man and Guernsey Ccubs which I will be heading down to as it has been a long time since I have been able to watch a game at any level live with a beer in hand.

I do agree with Fudgepacker and I cannot see, that apart from some local interclub games in the Island, I am going to see any league rugby this year at the lower levels. That is a lot of excuses I need to find for avoiding shopping with the wife or doing bits around the house on a Saturday afternoon. 

Are there directs flights between the two islands?

And regardless what an absolute ridiculous waste of money to play these games in August when who are you all going to play next.

Why do U’14s need to travel on this trip to play a game?  I for one simply don’t see the need or any justification
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 14:17

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Local lockdowns are the worst scenario as a club could have some players free to play and others not. Or some teams in a league could be allowed to play and others not. Hopefully we will get some Rugby in post Christmas but I think it should be on a "friendly" basis with no relegation/promotion this season 

Another idea I have heard circulated is that if and when rugby resumes next season there is no promotion and relegation but the games are carried forward to the following season. So if we have a 15 league game season in 20/21 those games are carried forward so we have promotion and relegation at the end of 21/22 based on 45 games. This would make any games played next season meaningful and would also allow time for any games postponed due to lockdowns to be rescheduled. Not quite sure if I am in favour but it's an interesting idea. 
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled in Mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 21:32
Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

And regardless what an absolute ridiculous waste of money to play these games in August when who are you all going to play next.

Why do U’14s need to travel on this trip to play a game?  I for one simply don’t see the need or any justification

There are presently direct flights. Both Islands have been Covid free for a couple of months but with restrictions on travel on and off the Islands. Presently only residents, unless they are essential workers can travel back to the IoM and they then have to self isolate for 14 days. The only exception is if from the IoM you go to Guernsey. It was therefore decided to put on flights between the two Islands so people could have a break if they wished without having to isolate for 14 days on return. There are only a few flights a week and they quickly sold out.

Why do U'14s need to come to the IoM this week end to play a game. Well why do the U'15s, U16's etc.? Why go on tour as adults, why play rugby at all. Probably because they enjoy it and it gives them a chance to play somebody different.  
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 21:42

Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

There are presently direct flights. Both Islands have been Covid free for a couple of months but with restrictions on travel on and off the Islands. Presently only residents, unless they are essential workers can travel back to the IoM and they then have to self isolate for 14 days. The only exception is if from the IoM you go to Guernsey. It was therefore decided to put on flights between the two Islands so people could have a break if they wished without having to isolate for 14 days on return. There are only a few flights a week and they quickly sold out.

Why do U'14s need to come to the IoM this week end to play a game. Well why do the U'15s, U16's etc.? Why go on tour as adults, why play rugby at all. Probably because they enjoy it and it gives them a chance to play somebody different.  
Clap
Cauliflower ear.
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled in Mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 21:47
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

EinM, not sure how much your finger on pulse you have but I feel I need to mention a couple of points.

Firstly, Douglas have stated that the withdrawal of Travel Funding will leave them  short by a tune of circa £40K should they have to complete a full season so maybe a half-season or less will suit them but won't make the problem go away. Secondly the other IoM Clubs will be playing each other I guess as none of them appeared in the RFU League structure for 20/21.

Furthermore there might not be much in the way of relegation from the RFU Leagues for 21/22 but I think its planned to move up a majority of clubs irrespective if they finished 1st or 5th/6th in whatever league they are in.

I am aware of what is going on but did not want to derail the topic. Pre Covid only Douglas of the men's side would have been in the RFU league structure in 20/21 as the rest of the IoM clubs are effectively at to low a level to be in the RFU leagues due to the number in the separate Lancashire Cheshire leagues. Additionally Douglas are probably the only IoM club who can raise the required funding to meet the increased contribution the RFU demand year on year.

I am not sure Douglas could meet the £40k travel costs this year as their big money spinner is running a campsite during the TT and that was cancelled this year. It is probably irrelevant as back on topic I cannot see any games pre the New Year and even if there are whether the flight restrictions between the IoM and the UK are eased enough to allow travel and if it is airlines start operating a Saturday flight schedule that makes getting to and from games in the UK is doubtful. Guernsey are in a better position as their Government has its own airline.

Back on topic. What will happen in 2021/22 is any bodies guess. I am sure that this season for many junior clubs if there are no meaningful games it will be difficult to keep players motivated and not drifting off to other sports that are being played. The hope is that they then come back.
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 07:07
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 07:18
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 07:35
I was just going to post that! Aren’t we sad being up this early reading emails from the RFU?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic