National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Player Pathway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Player Pathway
    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:35
Just as an interesting point for National League rugby progression. This evening Sale Sharks play Wasps and eight of the players taking the pitch for Sale Sharks have played National 1 and National 2 North with Sale FC over the years. Many of them played their first ever senior game of rugby in National League rugby. Players like Arron Reed (man of the match first game against Leicester Lions but too young to be given the champagne by the match day sponsor). Ben Curry played as an 18 year old in Nat 2 North and so on. Interestingly Paolo Odogwu played for Wasps on the weekend also played 24 games for Sale FC. 

• Arron Reed (15 tries in 19 games)
    Luke James
    Connor Doherty (Played Sale FC Colts as well)
    Curtis Langdon
    Matt Postletwaite (more than 70 caps for Sale FC)
    Ben Curry
    Ewan Ashman
    Tom Roebuck
Good luck to them all!
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 13:32
It’s not a new subject, you will find most premiership players started senior rugby in the national leagues. 2 others that are currently earning rave reviews Tom O’Flaherty played his first senior games for Blackheath although that seems to have been missed and Will Stewart of Bath previously Wasps played for both Blackheath and Moseley, Mario Otje was at Old Albanians. That is why I get very annoyed when the higher echelons treat us like rubbish as without the National leagues (and championship) their youngsters wouldn’t have played serious rugby
So many Christians not enough Lions
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

It’s not a new subject, you will find most premiership players started senior rugby in the national leagues. 2 others that are currently earning rave reviews Tom O’Flaherty played his first senior games for Blackheath although that seems to have been missed and Will Stewart of Bath previously Wasps played for both Blackheath and Moseley, Mario Otje was at Old Albanians. That is why I get very annoyed when the higher echelons treat us like rubbish as without the National leagues (and championship) their youngsters wouldn’t have played serious rugby
Totally agree. I realise that most premiership players have done the same(ish) route/pathway. 
I'd be interested to see if any premiership teams have 8 players who played for the same National League team? There must be some?
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 16:01
Re: Jimbojetset

I saw Arron Reed a couple of times playing for Sale FC and he definitely looked like he had potential for big things. I also thought the same about Jonty Rawcliffe...is he still with you? 

Edited by Count Ford - 25 Aug 2020 at 16:03
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 16:54
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

Re: Jimbojetset

I saw Arron Reed a couple of times playing for Sale FC and he definitely looked like he had potential for big things. I also thought the same about Jonty Rawcliffe...is he still with you? 

Arron was one of those players who could turn a game. Against Hinckley, he read a superb pass and intercepted to go under the posts to essentially win the game and push us toward promotion. Jonty has moved back down south with work and has signed for Cambridge.
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 17:27
And the other half of the Sale team played their youth rugby in South Africa......
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 17:36
I thought eight players who had pulled on a Cambridge shirt in the Saracens v Saints match was doing well. 3 for Saracens and five for Saints.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Basher2 View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basher2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 20:12
Keep your eyes on Wharfedale, a lot of young talent coming through from Last year’s National colts winning side and now Leeds Tykes are on there way down hopefully staying at the Avenue is not a bad thing.
Saying that there’s a few that could potentially be on bigger clubs radar in the next few years. https://youtu.be/QHjEt0F7-Qs 4 hours in is National cup final definitely worth a watchWink

Edited by Basher2 - 25 Aug 2020 at 20:22
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 09:30
I'm sure those lads all started somewhere.
Luke and Sam James came through the mini/junior set-up at (level 6) Manchester.
Granted Manchester have suffered a decline but credit where credit is due, they were well up the leagues when their father played stand-off there.
Interestingly (well it is to me) their grandfather was a pretty good stand-off too, albeit in the "goode olde" day with Burnage.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 10:45
Originally posted by MikeGC MikeGC wrote:

I'm sure those lads all started somewhere.
Luke and Sam James came through the mini/junior set-up at (level 6) Manchester.
Granted Manchester have suffered a decline but credit where credit is due, they were well up the leagues when their father played stand-off there.
Interestingly (well it is to me) their grandfather was a pretty good stand-off too, albeit in the "goode olde" day with Burnage.

Absolutely! Manchester have an excellent Minis and Juniors section as do most clubs in the Greater Manchester Area and the north west. It was also pointed out on Facebook that there were five hookers playing who'd put on the Macclesfield shirt at some point in time. I think the point I was trying to make was that Premiership players rarely move straight from school, uni, M&J's straight into the premiership. At some point, most of them will have played club rugby. I think its one of the things that makes rugby so special. Every premiership game, every international, grassroot/league clubs can demonstrate their contribution.

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 12:28
Not one of them started their rugby at a Premiership club, they all started at their local club
So many Christians not enough Lions
Penda View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 17:54
Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

Just as an interesting point for National League rugby progression. This evening Sale Sharks play Wasps and eight of the players taking the pitch for Sale Sharks have played National 1 and National 2 North with Sale FC over the years. Many of them played their first ever senior game of rugby in National League rugby. Players like Arron Reed (man of the match first game against Leicester Lions but too young to be given the champagne by the match day sponsor). Ben Curry played as an 18 year old in Nat 2 North and so on. Interestingly Paolo Odogwu played for Wasps on the weekend also played 24 games for Sale FC. 

Luke James
    Curtis Langdon
    Ben Curry
    Ewan Ashman
    Tom Roebuck
Good luck to them all!

Interesting. How many games has Ashman played for Sale FC?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 19:24
According to Statbunker 2. Against Hull Ionians and Rams.
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 21:21
 Billy Twelvetrees was at Leicester Lions before going to Leicester Tigers.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 09:23
I think my wife gets a bit fed up with me naming players who have played for Worthing when we watch a premiership game
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 09:28
It’s easier some times when watching Harlequins to list the players who have NOT played for Esher!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:38
Raider999 - maybe your wife is just fed up with you full stop!? 😂😂

Edited by Thatbloke - 01 Sep 2020 at 10:38
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 13:23
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Raider999 - maybe your wife is just fed up with you full stop!? 😂😂

You could be right
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by Penda Penda wrote:

Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

Luke James
    Curtis Langdon
    Ben Curry
    Ewan Ashman
    Tom Roebuck
Good luck to them all!

Interesting. How many games has Ashman played for Sale FC?
He played a couple, then was selected for Scotland U20's for the six nations. Same happens to a few of the players coming through National 1 teams.  In the previous season he was at Fylde for a while as well. 
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:58
Perhaps there may be some connection between Sale FC and Sale Sharks more than other clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic