National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leeds update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leeds update
    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 22:40
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Novocastrian View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 08:38
Reverting to ‘original name’ Leeds Tykes. 

When can I start calling them Headingley? 
Wink

All jokes 
 aside since Headingley and Roundhay merged the club has been known as Leeds, Leeds Tykes, Leeds Carnegie, Yorkshire Carnegie and Leeds Tykes (again). What a mess!

On this note, what are people’s views on the way some rugby clubs add an extra word to the club name? I’ve never understood why Newcastle added Falcons or Sale with Sharks. I understand the historical association with Leicester and Tigers but generally I think it’s an awful Americanism we’ve brought over. 
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 09:04
Originally posted by Novocastrian Novocastrian wrote:

Wink

All jokes 
 aside since Headingley and Roundhay merged the club has been known as Leeds, Leeds Tykes, Leeds Carnegie, Yorkshire Carnegie and Leeds Tykes (again). What a mess!

On this note, what are people’s views on the way some rugby clubs add an extra word to the club name? I’ve never understood why Newcastle added Falcons or Sale with Sharks. I understand the historical association with Leicester and Tigers but generally I think it’s an awful Americanism we’ve brought over. 
I'm not greatly in favour, especially when it replaces an established nickname that just wasn't part of a club's name.  RL has seen a proliferation of these, withe Widnes becoming Vikings rather than the Chemics, and Warrington are now Wolves rather than the historic Wire.  Happily Hull FC dropped the "Sharks" moniker.

But funnily enough, I was reminded of this sort of thing this morning.  On FB, I belong to a group centred on the small town I grew up in, which is Sedgley, about halfway between Dudley and Wolverhampton.  Someone posted a "buy this" in here, for a hoodie - the motif being that of Sedgley Tigers.  Nice guess, but the Tigers are really Sedgley Park, from Whitefield in Bury, many miles away.  I've seen the Tigers when they've come to play at Mose, of course, in those days they called themselves Sedgley Park, and "Tigers" was just the informal nickname.  Adopting it as their team name has now caused unnecessary geographical confusion.  And, to finish the story, the Sedgley with the DY3 postcode doesn't have a rugby team anyway.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 09:10
I've lost track of whats going on in that neck of the woods but would love to know where all the monies gone.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 09:43
Was there ever any money - I thought the reason for the merger was one of the clubs was bust and the other had no players - so it was merge or die for the pair.

And if we are talking name changs Newcastle was originally Gosforth.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 10:23

Wink

All jokes 

I think the Premiership have encouraged these 'nicknames' as a marketing ploy.

I see Leeds are moving their training base to West Park Leeds, but are clinging to the hope that they will still play at least some games at Headingley (Rl ground - there is a tie up at board level between Rhinos and Tykes)
RAID ON
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Wink

All jokes 

I see Leeds are moving their training base to West Park Leeds, but are clinging to the hope that they will still play at least some games at Headingley (Rl ground - there is a tie up at board level between Rhinos and Tykes)

Although AIUI West Park have since then put out a statement that it's all still being worked on, which suggests someone may have jumped the gun, especially given Otley were supposed to be sharing with West Park...
keep the faith
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 13:27

Wink

All jokes 

While there is definitely a huge emphasis on these 'nicknames' for marketing in a financial sense, it is also marketing as a tool to get and keep kids involved. A club like Sale fighting for people to watch them against all the nearby football/rugby league alternatives. To adults a human dressed up in a shark costume may not grab the attention, but it does for youngsters
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 14:38
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Wink

All jokes 

Although AIUI West Park have since then put out a statement that it's all still being worked on, which suggests someone may have jumped the gun, especially given Otley were supposed to be sharing with West Park...
Otley?  Why?   Are they redeveloping Cross Green or something?
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 14:48
they were supposed to be leaving cross green and locating just down the road to a new ground behind the garden centre
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 16:04
I believe they are at Cross Green with Grovians this season. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Novocastrian View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novocastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Was there ever any money - I thought the reason for the merger was one of the clubs was bust and the other had no players - so it was merge or die for the pair.

Oh yes. If you weren’t in the know on such matters, you’d be forgiven for thinking Newcastle Falcons have always been called that. There’s rarely much mention of the club’s origins and history. People under the age of 25 may wonder why one of the stands has green and white seats.

Recently I had to pull the club up on the fact that they were rejoicing that their women’s team played their inaugural fixture this year. I told them they used to have a Ladies team from the late 80s until the early 90s - but was dismissed that was in the ‘Newcastle Gosforth’ days. Surely it’s the same club?! Or can they not be bothered to research their own history if it was pre 1995?

I understand the need to market a club (hence name changes to Leeds/Newcastle etc) but I don’t believe adding an animal to the end of the name endears it to kids so much that they’ll attend a game. 

The Sedgley point is interesting. More and more clubs at grassroots level have changed their names in recent years. I’m yet to see it make a difference...

Edited by Novocastrian - 03 Sep 2020 at 16:15
SKalpy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 16:36
Sedgley have been known as the Tigers since the club was formed in 1932, something to do with the shirts they wore at the time. It did help with marketing the club in the rise up the leagues and certainly for the 5 years they spent at Level 2.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 18:04

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The Sedgley point is interesting. More and more clubs at grassroots level have changed their names in recent years. I’m yet to see it make a difference...

So true. It's quite common all this pointless renaming here in the south east. We have Aylesford Bulls, Southend Saxons, London Irish Amateur calling themselves Wild Geese, Guernsey Raiders, Jersey Reds and of course the Civil Service can't decide if they're CS Rugby or CS Stags 1863 to name but a few. 

Edited by Robb - 03 Sep 2020 at 18:05
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:11
Preston Grasshoppers have been so named since their formation in 1869, although there was a proposal to change it to Preston Football Club a few years later, thankfully this was out voted.
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:02
Ever since Esher were formed our 2nd XV has been called Cardinals, our 3rd XV Abbots and our 4th XV Priors.

London Irish Wild Geese has a strong case for accuracy, it was used in the 16th - 18th Centuries to describe Irish soldiers who went abroad to fight. 

In a poem written in 1913, W.B. Yeats would mourn:

Was it for this the Wild Geese spread
A grey wing on every tide…

Truwblue View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truwblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:05
The nickname differentiates the 1st XV from the rest of the club. Not so long ago the first team were unsurprisingly known as the 'first team' Now you have an array of Lions,raiders,falcons, G Force(couldnt resist that one!) etc.
Some clubs have nicknames for their 2nd team as well to keep them different too!
Also sponsors quite often only interested in the top team so want to focus on them and no other team

Edited by Truwblue - 04 Sep 2020 at 12:09
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 14:13
Somebody also wants to inform the man from Leeds that they are playing in National 1 and not National 3 as he stated. Unless he knows something others don't!
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 20:43
or he can see into the future
turniphead View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turniphead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 13:43
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

So true. It's quite common all this pointless renaming here in the south east. We have Aylesford Bulls, Southend Saxons, London Irish Amateur calling themselves Wild Geese, Guernsey Raiders, Jersey Reds and of course the Civil Service can't decide if they're CS Rugby or CS Stags 1863 to name but a few. 

A bit of trivia as to why Aylesford Bulls. The club was originally started in the Bull Inn in Linton so there's a name with some history there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic