National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

OEs viable at restart?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiscalio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEs viable at restart?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 19:31
Does anybody know what's going on at Old Elthamians?  There was a funding appeal earlier in the year but no official communications for some months now (not even about season ticket renewal).

As last season progressed it was very evident that the club's financial problems were having a huge impact on the 1st XV.  Crossing faces off the squad in the programme became something of a fortnightly ritual.  The last few games saw the average player age drop to the low twenties.  By my reckoning all but one of the match day squad of last season's opener have joined other clubs.  I wonder how OEs will be competitive but I don't suppose we can look beyond securing the club's existence, which I know was being questioned prior to the pandemic. 

Thankfully the youth and mini sections are well managed and thriving. 
RJV View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 09:53
They have relocated back to the old Uni ground for starters which I think is a good move. The home they had was flawed for various practical reasons, namely growth and the capacity for match day earnings. I for one am glad they have relocated, I prefer the old uni ground, it had more of a home feel given its location in Chislehurst. As for the squad its been decimated, in some part due to greed but mainly due to funding/uncertainty, I guess it goes without saying at that level. Either way though I think they have it in hand and with the feed they have from youth I think they will soon be back where they need to be if not already there. Of course there will be a struggle in between and the vultures will be waiting to celebrate any on pitch demise with calls of 'I told you so'. But, be careful what you wish for as with the coaching staff in place, they are more than capable of repeating the rapid rise to excellence using 'local' homegrown talent. The said coaching staff will be driven to prove the 'money team' trolls wrong and I hope they do. RIP Kobus, a true fan and always a gent when I spoke with him on matchday!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 13:38
I know Esher have done a good swap with OEs, Ciaran McGann, Elliot Quinton and Oli Hobman have joined Esher while Devlin Hope has joined OEs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic