National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

This season - Event Date: 04 Oct 2020 - 12 Oct 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Will we see any Nat 1 league rugby this season
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.98%]
18 [41.86%]
22 [51.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 20:48
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Well, here we go! Contact training from Wednesday and contact friendly matches from 18th December with adapted laws - no scrums or mauls. RFU Update today with more detail to come tomorrow!

No need for props then - stick a couple of back rowers in instead
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 22:39
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Well, here we go! Contact training from Wednesday and contact friendly matches from 18th December with adapted laws - no scrums or mauls. RFU Update today with more detail to come tomorrow!

No need for props then - stick a couple of back rowers in instead

Not sure, previous experience says props have value as lifters at line outs and also read defence better around rucks. Go for mobile props!
Keeppushininthescrum View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeppushininthescrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 00:28
I wouldn't worry about winning games by bending rules, 
The virtueous amongst us would rather see the props on the pitch.
I'm siding with them. 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:30
Don't want to worry you guys but I have been told that one (definitely) and more ( probably) will NOT be partaking in this form of quasi-rugby and decided to shut up shop till next season. This decision is based purely on their inability to fund such activities. As has been pointed out by several on this forum previously - semi pro players expecting to be paid by clubs who have little or no income.
Wouldn't be right to name the club(s) opting out until they have officially notified their own membership
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:13
We still need to have Government approval  for the use of changing and shower facilities, if clubs can open their bars with a kitchen to supply food, Travel restrictions such as traveling into higher tiers, One issue at higher levels will be the provision of Referees and assistants. I know the government released some information to the RFU last night so this will be made available shortly. However as many have said will clubs be able to pay players who are under contract with no income unless their sponsors are going to keep clubs going until next season. I am aware of at least one club in the North that has opted out to be ready for next season.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:53
Indeed Workerbee - given that clubs were given until 30th November to "opt in" the NCA should already be aware which of their affiliated clubs are noticeable by their absence
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:04
Opting in wasn’t confirmation of taking part, it was about gauging interest
So many Christians not enough Lions
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:29
Well I assume if you don't opt in then you ain't interested! It will be interesting to see how many "Aye's" and how many "Nay's" they have from their 48 clubs, all of whom will be semi-pro in one form or another and with different sources and levels of income
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 13:29
Thatbloke: Fully agree about the semi-pro comment.

But here is a couple of bigger question for you guys:

1/ How many National 1 and 2 players will play for the love of the club and not ask for a penny?

2/ What employer will let his members of staff run the risk of playing rugby on a Saturday and contracting Covid, this way. Because you must have a much higher chance than by not playing!

Most peoples companies have had enough hurt this year with the shut downs, lock downs etc that this has given us. Without John Smith playing a game of adopted rugby on a Saturday, with a chance ( no matter how small) of him coming in Monday morning and giving it to all the other staff! Or even a teacher at school!

It will be interesting to see what comes out about clubhouses, because the hospitality industry will be up in arms if you can have a pie and a pint at the local club, but the restaurants in that area remain shut!

Edited by Scrumtime - 02 Dec 2020 at 13:29
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 13:59
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Thatbloke: Fully agree about the semi-pro comment.

But here is a couple of bigger question for you guys:

1/ How many National 1 and 2 players will play for the love of the club and not ask for a penny?

2/ What employer will let his members of staff run the risk of playing rugby on a Saturday and contracting Covid, this way. Because you must have a much higher chance than by not playing!

Most peoples companies have had enough hurt this year with the shut downs, lock downs etc that this has given us. Without John Smith playing a game of adopted rugby on a Saturday, with a chance ( no matter how small) of him coming in Monday morning and giving it to all the other staff! Or even a teacher at school!

It will be interesting to see what comes out about clubhouses, because the hospitality industry will be up in arms if you can have a pie and a pint at the local club, but the restaurants in that area remain shut!
Ealing Trailfinders have their first match with spectators this Saturday. The clubhouse and bars will be closed with limited outside catering for food and hot drinks. I think that will be the pattern for COVID Tiers 2 & 3 clubs.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Keppeltitan View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keppeltitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 16:16
Rotherham announced a couple of weeks ago that they were not going to play any rugby before next season due to the cost .
Basically same as most other clubs there has hardly been any income since March and as we are in tier 3 there is not much hope of any income.
hills17 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hills17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 18:31
On one of the NCA updates it said 90% have shown an interest.

I’m guessing people will know or have an idea about their own clubs and whether they’re entering. We await with interest these next few weeks to see other clubs etc, whose there etc. Clubs will have done what is right for them.

Not sure if this is bringing politics to the forum just wanting to comment on the restaurant next door in a non political way, true but rugby has had to wait since March. 

It’s nice to have this light at the end of the tunnel for rugby.

Edited by hills17 - 02 Dec 2020 at 18:33
Tiger Dome 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Dome 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 19:38
Why would they not ask all the players to play for free / less to give something back to the club ?
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 09:51
Originally posted by Tiger Dome 2 Tiger Dome 2 wrote:

Why would they not ask all the players to play for free / less to give something back to the club ?

2020: Very different world for players from 20 years ago when they would jump at the chance!
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by Tiger Dome 2 Tiger Dome 2 wrote:

2020: Very different world for players from 20 years ago when they would jump at the chance!

My brother plays for club (local level not remotely this high) while carpentering during the week. 

Got a call about this social rugby idea, 'well, thanks to lockdown and furlough I'm now working weekends to catch up'.... They're struggling to raise a XV out of their three sides at the moment.

Now, depending on what these players are being paid to play at national 1/2 level, vs lost income (and the distances that some travel to play for their N1/2 sides, and you start to see why what's effectively emotional blackmail still might not stack up.

There's (at least) 3 types of rugby player:

- the amateur playing for the love of it 
-the pro, playing because obviously they enjoy it but they're paid to do it, it's their career
- the most complicated one, the semi pro. Playing more for the love than the money, but at level 2 and 3 the money might be enough to explain why they flog up and down the motorways.

I'm obviously not going to go into details, but through agent contacts I do know that there are already semi-pro players 'giving something back to the club' by choosing to play for them. Turning down more money because they like the set up where they are. But take away some/all of the money they are getting and it changes the dynamic a bit.

No club can be blamed too much for deciding that it's not worth trying to do anything this season. I'm intrigued to see how many actually end up playing when it starts. 

keep the faith
Thames Estuary Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thames Estuary Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:00
Don’t forget the young semi pro players who are putting themselves in the shop window, hoping for a pro contract. These lads have had a major setback to their careers this season. 
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by Thames Estuary Man Thames Estuary Man wrote:

Don’t forget the young semi pro players who are putting themselves in the shop window, hoping for a pro contract. These lads have had a major setback to their careers this season. 

absolutely, should have been clearer that I meant at least 3 broad categories, lots of variation within them obviously.

For those in that latter category it must be very disheartening, not least because, while it might scratch an itch, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to scout properly at matches of 'not quite rugby' played between two sides who've cobbled together a team each... 

I've got no problem with the new format, it's a good compromise and as the tiers allow (and assuming we're taking part) I'll be going to watch Mose playing it. But I think the fans and the players alike need to realise that it's very much better than nothing, rather than any kind of shop window as it might usually be. And if clubs or players don't want to/can't afford to take part, then we are where we are.
keep the faith
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:27
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Originally posted by Thames Estuary Man Thames Estuary Man wrote:

absolutely, should have been clearer that I meant at least 3 broad categories, lots of variation within them obviously.

For those in that latter category it must be very disheartening, not least because, while it might scratch an itch, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to scout properly at matches of 'not quite rugby' played between two sides who've cobbled together a team each... 

I've got no problem with the new format, it's a good compromise and as the tiers allow (and assuming we're taking part) I'll be going to watch Mose playing it. But I think the fans and the players alike need to realise that it's very much better than nothing, rather than any kind of shop window as it might usually be. And if clubs or players don't want to/can't afford to take part, then we are where we are.

I'm not sure clubs in Tier 3 areas will have the choice.

With the passing of the deadline, I would have thought they would have at least announced groups by now?
RAID ON
Bunkermentality View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkermentality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 14:29
Ealing Trailfinders have their first match with spectators this Saturday. The clubhouse and bars will be closed with limited outside catering for food and hot drinks. I think that will be the pattern for COVID Tiers 2 & 3 clubs.
Bill Sley View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Sley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 06:16
Additional update regarding the NCA Cup competition
DECEMBER 5, 2020

https://www.ncarugby.com/announcements/additional-update-regarding-the-nca-cup-competition/

The NCA has announced that the start of the cup competition will be delayed following the Government COVID announcement earlier this week.

Given the RFU’s commitment to give clubs at least four weeks notice before competitive rugby can begin,  the earliest start date would have been 16th January.......The start of the tournament will be delayed until at least February in order to allow every one an equal footing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic