National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

This season - Event Date: 04 Oct 2020 - 12 Oct 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Will we see any Nat 1 league rugby this season
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.98%]
18 [41.86%]
22 [51.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 07:25
Guernsey have understandable geographical problems. I would be keen to discover from those with knowledge if the others are choosing not to compete as their squads are comprised predominantly of players who insist on being paid or because their committees believe their clubs will be in better shape  for the 21/22 season if they mothball for the next 6 months? Will the players who signed at those clubs to play rugby this season be allowed to play at other clubs now the clubs themselves have chosen not to play?
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 09:48
Federal 2 and 3 - equivalent to Nat 2 and Regional Premier and pretty much all semi pro - have been trialing a number of experimental law since September 19. They include no tackling above the waist and no double tackles. The first one has been easy to implement and a big success in my opinion. Our lot always tackled like that anyway - I've never, ever advocated high tackling for safety  reasons and also for effectiveness. The best way to stop an attack is to put the runner on the ground asap. There has been no increase in concussions or injuries at all. I think that they'll make that one permanent. The double tackle law has caused much more difficulties for referees, and although I agree with the sentiment of it, I'm not sure it's practical, especially when a runner hits the line close to the breakdown. In addition, at both Fed 2 and 3 the scrum cannot move more than 1.5 metres - that's been the case for many years and is permanent. At first I was really dubious about this one, especially as we've got a few really big and powerful scrummagers. However after 3 years I'm a big fan. The scrum is still important, but there are hardly any penalties or resets and it allows the game to flow much more easily. We can plan attacks from scrum with certainty that the ball will emerge when and where we want. I think that the game is faster and more free flowing here that at the equivalent level in England.
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:03
Forgot to add that there are 2 more fairly significant experimental laws. Pick and go is banned, except if it's in the act of scoring. The idea is to reduce the unnecessary contact when a forward just piles into a defender a metre away. There's been no problem with that one and most people are in favour of it - the pick and go isn't the most exciting or attractive thing for players or spectators. Secondly and far more controversially, a ball carrier cannot lower his body height and lead into contact with his head. Leading with the shoulder is OK, but referees have made some poor decisions. We've got a couple of really good players who are great at dropping the shoulder and bouncing defenders but they've often been unfairly penalised, as we've shown to referees after the game on video. I agree with the sentiment but it's another tough decision for the referee. All of the changes were made in response to three young players dying (for various reasons) between 18 and 19. The FFR were under massive pressure to do something to increase player safety.  
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 13:45
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Tackling below the waist is what coaches teach boys when they first start to play. There is no RFU Video that I am aware of that teaches chest-high tackling. To me that is a League tackle. We need to teach players to tackle well and safely. Yes, it may lead to more offloads because the ball is not being targeted and wrapped up but that actually benefits the game - well for the attacking side. Hang on, isn’t that what we are trying to do?

I would say that tackling around the chest, neck & head became more prevalent as the numbers of south seas islanders in our game increased.

I suspect the reason that people tackle high is to limit offloading opportunities.
RAID ON
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 14:19
RFU Guidance re travel from this weekend:

If you are playing matches, this weekend, please remember that in line with Government guidance car sharing is not permitted. In a tier 2 or tier 3 area, car sharing is not permitted with anyone from outside your household.

In a tier 1 area, avoid car sharing with someone from outside your household or your support bubble.

Travel in coaches and minibuses is permitted as long as they are Covid-secure, i.e. seating arrangements must be considered to maximise distance between people in the vehicle – this may mean using more than one coach or minibus, for example. Teams should check for local travel restrictions in their area before departing as these will vary depending on the coronavirus alert level. You should not travel into or out of tier 3 areas to take part in sporting activities or access sport facilities.

So anyone wishing to travel by coach will need two coaches 4 if you take 2nd XV. So cost will be a real issue. with cost of a coach starting at £300 each. if no one is related 20+ cars to an away game. Additional problems for clubs bordering onto Wales any player who lives over the border in Wales will be in full lock down in January. 

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 16:47
The whole thing is up in the air again with more regions moving into their 3 so no spectators & no bars therefore no revenue. Not sure how this affects things but looks grim
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 20:17
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

RFU Guidance re travel from this weekend:

[COLOR=#ff0000] <span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10.5pt;]If you are playing matches,
this weekend, please remember that in line with Government guidance car sharing
is not permitted. In a tier 2 or tier 3 area, car sharing is not permitted with
anyone from outside your household.</span>[/COLOR]
<span style="font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;">

In a tier 1 area, avoid car sharing with someone from outside your household or
your support bubble.

Travel in coaches and minibuses is permitted as long as they are Covid-secure,
i.e. seating arrangements must be considered to maximise distance between
people in the vehicle – this may mean using more than one coach or minibus, for
example. Teams should check for local travel restrictions in their area before
departing as these will vary depending on the coronavirus alert level. You
should not travel into or out of tier 3 areas to take part in sporting
activities or access sport facilities.

<!--if !supLineBreakNewLine-->

<!----></span>
<span style="font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#333333;mso-ansi-:EN-GB; mso-fareast-:EN-GB;mso-bidi-:AR-SA">So anyone wishing to travel by coach will need two coaches 4 if you take 2nd XV. So cost will be a real issue. with cost of a coach starting at £300 each. if no one is related 20+ cars to an away game. Additional problems for clubs bordering onto Wales any player who lives over the border in Wales will be in full lock down in January. </span>
<span style="font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#333333;mso-ansi-:EN-GB; mso-fareast-:EN-GB;mso-bidi-:AR-SA">

This guidance seems to shed a lot of doubt on the cup actually taking place - for instance Worthing in tier 2 are in a group where all the other teams are in tier 3.
</span>
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic