National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Saracens & Ealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 14:31
That is fair, although they did finish 2nd with the use of the Best Playing Formula. And id predict as a minimum they'd finish 2nd again this year.
I do feel that in the future sides from Yorkshire and Cornwall should/need to be included however i feel Ealing are the best/most likely option at this time.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 15:16
Are Doncaster ready for the step up.
Sweeney Delenda Est
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 15:39
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Are Doncaster ready for the step up.

Always 😉
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 19:21
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Surely, in a sensibly-run sporting competition, 20 million would be far better spent on a suitable stadium?
But then, this is rugby.
I do feel that this is a number that's been inflated by the media, Exeter paid £5 million for theirs.
Seriously?
5 million might buy you a half-decent grandstand.
Our City,
Our Club
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 20:42

Surely, in a sensibly-run sporting competition, 20 million would be far better spent on a suitable stadium?
But then, this is rugby.
I do feel that this is a number that's been inflated by the media, Exeter paid £5 million for theirs.
Seriously?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 20:56
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

But then, this is rugby.
Seriously?
Quite.
York City's new Community Stadium comes in at around 44 million, while Boston United's tiny new Quadrant is slated to be around the 12 million mark.
Neither would be Prem-compliant (Boston's nowhere near it).
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 07:24

But then, this is rugby.
Seriously?
Quite.
York City's new Community Stadium comes in at around 44 million, while Boston United's tiny new Quadrant is slated to be around the 12 million mark.

Vallis Way already hosted a season of Super League and the Tyrell's 15 finals. I think it could get to Prem standard without starting over from the existing 2000 covered seats.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 08:22

But then, this is rugby.
Seriously?
Quite.

I better look for that Euro Lotto ticket, guess a £10 might buy a brick for a needy club.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

But then, this is rugby.
Seriously?
Quite.

Vallis Way already hosted a season of Super League and the Tyrell's 15 finals. I think it could get to Prem standard without starting over from the existing 2000 covered seats.
No question.
Temporary grandstands can be bought or rented very quickly, but the associated essential hospitality facilities then become the issue.
Ideally, and what some other clubs are planning for, permanent buildings with extravagant yardage of pitch-overlooking hospitality would be required, with the associated infrastructure to back them.
This is where the substantial monetary investment comes in.
Of course, I have no idea as to your owner's intention on that score, but if it's in the plans, then good for him.
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by PlangentThrowback PlangentThrowback wrote:

I fail to see the logic of Ealing as a choice (other than an owner with money), what's the point of yet another Premiership club in west London?  It's about four miles from Trailfinders to Brentford stadium, a bit more from Brentford to the Stoop.  Why not pick Pirates or Doncaster or, yes, Cov (Wasps could do with the money)?  It's not a suggestion that makes much sense.

As for $aracen$, it's a club that cheated for years and if its decision to accept relegation rather than demonstrate for all to see that it was still cheating rebounds on it due to unforeseeable circumstances then I say 'tough, shouldn't have cheated'.

I agree about Saracens, they refused to open their books and expose the true extent of the `cheating` over numerous years. They preferred to accept the demotion and obviously expected to bounce straight back into the Premiership.

The geographic spread Nationwide just does not work. Yorkshire Carnegie are the prime example. The principle that all rugby supporters from miles around would flock to see Yorkshire Carnegie in a massive Stadium just did not transpire.  I think we all need to realise the limited appeal of rugby union to the paying public. The best supported team in the Championship , Bedford can not afford to maintain a professional squad . They abandoned their excellent development teams because of spiralling costs.

Ealing Trailfinders through the ` wealthy benefactor` Mike Gooley have become the most sustainable team around. The grounds are close to 20 acres and have been continuously developed over 20 years. The site is used day and night with multiple revenues. The latest is a huge indoor training facility, about to be constructed. Rugby Union, Rugby League, football, cricket, Netball, Gaelic football ,public gym , commercial Nursery, weddings, conferences, film and TV venue

Mike Gooley has created a legacy and a long term commitment to Rugby  by creating a scholarship system at Brunel University where young Rugby talent are coming from all over the country and some from existing Premiership Academies. There is a partnership with Henley College ( ex Wasp`s Academy site ) for ACE scheme to flourish with talented players from the age of sixteen both studying and receiving top flight rugby coaching from the Ealing pro coaches.

The Amateur section of the Club Ealing Trailfinders 1871 is going from strength to strength . I witnessed a few weeks ago three teams playing opposition, two  amateur Wasp`s and Harlequins and they were able to sit outside and have a beer . There was an event upstairs / outside to watch the England game . 

The current U16`s have a squad close to 50 players ! and attendance two weeks ago was at a record 43 players  on a Sunday morning and Ealing were abled to support the squad with nine qualified coaches.

There is so much more but I feel that maybe enough of blowing the trumpet for Ealing Trailfinders but they are not comparable to any other club in my biased opinion.

I accept that I am biased but I cannot see any other club coming close in being the right team to be accepted to the Premiership. 

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 11:48

I fail to see the logic of Ealing as a choice (other than an owner with money), what's the point of yet another Premiership club in west London?  It's about four miles from Trailfinders to Brentford stadium, a bit more from Brentford to the Stoop.  Why not pick Pirates or Doncaster or, yes, Cov (Wasps could do with the money)?  It's not a suggestion that makes much sense.

As for $aracen$, it's a club that cheated for years and if its decision to accept relegation rather than demonstrate for all to see that it was still cheating rebounds on it due to unforeseeable circumstances then I say 'tough, shouldn't have cheated'.

I can see numerous reasons why Ealing, they've consistently finished 2nd in the last 3 seasons losing out to the relegated PRL Side. They have infrastructure that already would be of envy to some premiership sides and have plans to add to this (an indoor training facility i believe is on the way). Being based in West London, provides the potential for alot of future supporters coupled with the fact that the area is a rugby hotbed. 

Saracens are one of the leading sides in England, yes they were caught breaking the salary cap but who says others aren't at the same time?. They were winning titles in Europe versus sides with bigger budgets than them.... I believe the French league handled their incident alot better....
I do believe that in the future we should have a side in Cornwall and Yorkshire but i don't believe either side are ready, ET are.

Not sure West London is a rugby hotbed - you only have to look at the crowds that Barnes, LIWG and Rosslyn Pk get to prove this is incorrect.

Out of those mentioned, Pirates in the South West or Doncaster in South Yorkshire would seem to be better bets.
RAID ON
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 13:09
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

I can see numerous reasons why Ealing, they've consistently finished 2nd in the last 3 seasons losing out to the relegated PRL Side. They have infrastructure that already would be of envy to some premiership sides and have plans to add to this (an indoor training facility i believe is on the way). Being based in West London, provides the potential for alot of future supporters coupled with the fact that the area is a rugby hotbed. 

Saracens are one of the leading sides in England, yes they were caught breaking the salary cap but who says others aren't at the same time?. They were winning titles in Europe versus sides with bigger budgets than them.... I believe the French league handled their incident alot better....
I do believe that in the future we should have a side in Cornwall and Yorkshire but i don't believe either side are ready, ET are.

Not sure West London is a rugby hotbed - you only have to look at the crowds that Barnes, LIWG and Rosslyn Pk get to prove this is incorrect.

Out of those mentioned, Pirates in the South West or Doncaster in South Yorkshire would seem to be better bets.

The national stadium, 2 premiership sides and 3 championship sides would constituent any location to be a hotbed for rugby, in my opinion. Supported by the huge number of amateur players that are within that area.
Rosslyn Park according to the last complete set of data averaged 655 through the gate, and with LIWG i'd argue it was a number of factors.1) They're not the flagship side for their club, that's the Premiership side. 2) They're not really in London, they're more to Surrey. 3) They've experienced a poor run of form in recent years, which has seen them drop from L4 to L6.

Edited by dropout22 - 07 Nov 2020 at 13:10
PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 13:45

Aside from the fact that ET haven't finished second because the season wasn't finished, what facilities do they have that a Premiership club would envy?  All the others have better facilities except Bath have a pawpaw stadium but has an outstanding training ground, Wasps has a fine stadium but pawpaw training.

The evidence that west London is a hotbed for professional rugby is severely lacking.  None of the current clubs other than 'Quins attract support in any numbers.  Some Premiership clubs get crowds for a single game that exceed those of Ealing's entire season.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 13:47
The good train links meant a lot of the London clubs bought old market gardens round there.
Many were failing as rail made it easy to bring food in from further away. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 12:54

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

The national stadium, 2 premiership sides and 3 championship sides would constituent any location to be a hotbed for rugby, in my opinion. Supported by the huge number of amateur players that are within that area.
Rosslyn Park according to the last complete set of data averaged 655 through the gate, and with LIWG i'd argue it was a number of factors.1) They're not the flagship side for their club, that's the Premiership side. 2) They're not really in London, they're more to Surrey. 3) They've experienced a poor run of form in recent years, which has seen them drop from L4 to L6.

The national stadium doesn't make it a hotbed - just somewhere people from all over the country congregate to watch England play - hence it is the national stadium.

LIWG, are now down a couple of levels but even when in N2S were poorly supported - they are a different club from London Irish.

I notice you omitted to say anything about Barnes - says it all really.

An average of 655 at RP doesn't make them well supported IMO.
RAID ON
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 15:29
To be perfectly frank, 655 at the top end of level 3 is pish poor.
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 19:02

Totally agree
RAID ON
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 07:07
If the Championship starts why would the winners be promoted?
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 08:16

It is very poor and from my experience an announced 'crowd' of 655 probably means that the true paying attendance was in the order of 350/400.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 08:58
I'm sure HRMC will be pleased gates are being understated. 
Cauliflower ear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic