National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Saracens & Ealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 09:51
The best Stadium outside Twickenham is Darlington Mowden Park is can seat 28,000. Full hospitality and Big bars for supporters, However they rarely get more than 800 spectators and only use one side. Whilst they have been in Nat 1 for a number of years they cannot make the break though into the Championship and are not able to fund their plans for the future especially as they are not able at present to hold any off field events. This is always the problem with clubs who have big overheads and are unable to provide any income to fund them and this is not just a Covid issue. You can count on the fingers of one hand those clubs who have succeeded Exeter being the best Example. 
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

The best Stadium outside Twickenham is Darlington Mowden Park is can seat 28,000. Full hospitality and Big bars for supporters, However they rarely get more than 800 spectators and only use one side. Whilst they have been in Nat 1 for a number of years they cannot make the break though into the Championship and are not able to fund their plans for the future especially as they are not able at present to hold any off field events. This is always the problem with clubs who have big overheads and are unable to provide any income to fund them and this is not just a Covid issue. You can count on the fingers of one hand those clubs who have succeeded Exeter being the best Example. 

Best Stadium? I think not. Biggest maybe.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 15:55
I am sure that if you have been into the main entrance you would have been impressed, the only club I know with a Lift and elevators, a main function room on the first floor, with a night club at the other end. On the ground floor a main bar under one stand and a large public lounge along side. On the third floor a directors lounge and restaurant and private boxes. The area under the stand for changing rooms is so big a referee could not find the way out. Secure car parking for several hundred cars and additional land which the club was hoping to develop a multi sports facility and an  all weather pitch which is currently on hold. If they can get their commercial operations right they have the facilities which are much better that most of the current Premier league teams. However that is the problem, together with their location that they are too far North for the RFU .
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 19:21
TBF, I think the main problem is that (thus far) they just aren't good enough to get out of the third division. That's not the RFU's fault.
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 19:57

I am sure that if you have been into the main entrance you would have been impressed, the only club I know with a Lift and elevators, a main function room on the first floor, with a night club at the other end. On the ground floor a main bar under one stand and a large public lounge along side. On the third floor a directors lounge and restaurant and private boxes. The area under the stand for changing rooms is so big a referee could not find the way out. Secure car parking for several hundred cars and additional land which the club was hoping to develop a multi sports facility and an  all weather pitch which is currently on hold. If they can get their commercial operations right they have the facilities which are much better that most of the current Premier league teams. However that is the problem, together with their location that they are too far North for the RFU .

On the face of it, very impressive - however there is a lot to maintain when crowds are averaging 800 per game and an even bigger millstone when there are no games/crowds.
RAID ON
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 07:32
Workerbee - come visit Castle Park the things you mentioned are pretty much available here too.....
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 08:56
Whilst buying the arena at a good price, performance on the pitch hasn't matched up to it and the running costs (even with some conference/meeting income) must be horrendous even before lockdown restrictions. I suppose it can always be sold for housing as was going to happen before MP stepped in.

I agree about Castle Park, always my favourite away trip, and a model of how to develop a ground.  Just the right size, good facilities and space to expand if the situation warrants.  Surely a better proposition than Ealing if the Premiership wants to bring in another club (leaving aside all the issues about financial backing etc).
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 09:03
That bar under Doncaster’s main stand is like a concrete bunker. 
Mowden Park’s arena is in need of a good lick of paint to day the least 
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 09:41
I have been to Doncaster's ground and it is very impressive, However even they cannot fit in 28,000 into their ground. It would seem that there are only a handful of stadiums that could meet Premiership criteria and even Ealing are considering moving if the chance of premiership was on offer with a 14 team league. 
I agree that Darlington Mowden Park have found that the stadium has been a millstone around their neck and have been struggling to make it pay. You are quite right the running costs must be horrendous and it will only work if Non Match day revenue covers the running costs. In theory it was a great idea and getting it for a knock down price seemed a no brainer unfortunately they did not have the infrastructure to  Manage it.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:52
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

That bar under Doncaster’s main stand is like a concrete bunker. 
Mowden Park’s arena is in need of a good lick of paint to day the least 

Oh you haven't been there of late then Neasham - our Knight Shift Renovated the whole area last season it is much more bright and welcoming - but yes it was a concrete hall but it was covered, had a very long bar and good food.
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:54
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Workerbee - come visit Castle Park the things you mentioned are pretty much available here too.....

And at Moseley....
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:56

I have been to Doncaster's ground and it is very impressive, However even they cannot fit in 28,000 into their ground. It would seem that there are only a handful of stadiums that could meet Premiership criteria and even Ealing are considering moving if the chance of premiership was on offer with a 14 team league. 
I agree that Darlington Mowden Park have found that the stadium has been a millstone around their neck and have been struggling to make it pay. You are quite right the running costs must be horrendous and it will only work if Non Match day revenue covers the running costs. In theory it was a great idea and getting it for a knock down price seemed a no brainer unfortunately they did not have the infrastructure to  Manage it.

Yes the present accommodation cannot hold 28k - but we can, in a matter of months, get the ground set to the minimum standards for crowds etc etc. And be a place with atmosphere - at Darlington you would need a crowd in excess of 15 k to create an atmosphere I would guess (the current numbers they get will make it feel like Nottingham when they played at the County Ground souless, which I believe they still have a deal in place to use if they made the premiership).
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:06
This sounds like a "my dad is bigger than your dad" argument.

There's more to a good dad/stadium than size.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 13:39
True, I shall cease at this point. Smile
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

This sounds like a "my dad is bigger than your dad" argument.

There's more to a good dad/stadium than size.

Quite.
Our City,
Our Club
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 07:42
I am just happy that writer at The Times likes the matchday at my clubs ground.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 08:40
Donny has the best pies in the ground anywhere although to be fair to DMP the Taylors Pork Pies in Skinnergate push them close.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 09:19
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Donny has the best pies in the ground anywhere although to be fair to DMP the Taylors Pork Pies in Skinnergate push them close.
Obviously you've never been to Otley. 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:36

Don't take them into the stadium and expect to eat them hot though. DMP have offered the stadium to the NHS for cold storage of the Covid vaccine. Might be too cold though as it only needs to be stored at -80 degrees.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:37
Originally posted by 'Hopper 'Hopper wrote:

Obviously you've never been to Otley. 
Prefer the ones at Skipton personally. Takes all sorts though.
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic