National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Saracens & Ealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saracens & Ealing
    Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 07:07
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 07:43
That better not happen - I would expect the Championship to legally challenge both moves and block it at all attempts.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 08:15
The thing is, with no National League 1 there's no promotion to and relegation out from the Championship. PRL know full well that not having Sarries in the Prem for 21/22 will leave a financial hole for some of the Clubs in terms of revenue on match days. Therefore with the RFU League restructuring pushed back to 22/23 this gives a window of opportunity to enlarge the Prem without Sarries going thru the formality of playing in the Championship, Ealing would probably be the biggest objector with the biggest bank account for a legal challenge. By inviting both PRL dodge any possible legal threats as I doubt anyone else will want to waste money on a legal bid they most likely lose.

Edited by PiffPaff - 03 Nov 2020 at 08:24
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 10:27
Not sure this really passes the smell test but then nothing about PRL smells particularly good these days. From my perspective it would be an unsatisfactory way to get into the Premiership without having earned the right via legitimate promotion.

Nothing about the 20/21 season is normal though, I can see a series of friendlies taking place but not a full blown league season unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I am in favour of a 'Premiership 2' league made up of fully professional clubs irrespective of facilities, with a 10 team 'Premiership 1' league.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 13:14
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

For what it's worth, I am in favour of a 'Premiership 2' league made up of fully professional clubs irrespective of facilities, with a 10 team 'Premiership 1' league.
Great suggestion particularly if its backed up with a cup competition involving the teams in both leagues and ideally automatically two teams promoted/relegated each year. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 13:29
If this is true, what really gets me is that rugby has everything going for it on the pitch, starting with the most important word in the world ... respect.
This starts with the U6’s and goes all of the way through to the international game. Most other sports look up to rugby and are envious.

Off of the pitch however..............   .
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 19:30
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

If this is true, what really gets me is that rugby has everything going for it on the pitch, starting with the most important word in the world ... respect.
This starts with the U6’s and goes all of the way through to the international game. Most other sports look up to rugby and are envious.

It's the Daily Mail Brizzer, of course it's not true... Big smile
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 22:52
'For what it's worth, I am in favour of a 'Premiership 2' league made up of fully professional clubs irrespective of facilities, with a 10 team 'Premiership 1' league.
Great suggestion particularly if its backed up with a cup competition involving the teams in both leagues and ideally automatically two teams promoted/relegated each year. '

Gents of the current 12 Premiership teams at least 3 are almost already in the financial waste basket. Only Saracens and Ealing in the Championship can afford after this season to remain full time. We will be lucky to have one league of 12 full time teams going forward- a second professional league is simply dreaming.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 14:20
I heard that there are several Premiership as well as Championship clubs will run out of cash in the next few months!  There may not be 12 Premiership clubs to join.

Pretty much all Premiership clubs can’t afford the Premiership without their 1 or few wealthy owner/investors.  They can disappear quickly and hard to replace.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 16:08
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

It's the Daily Mail Brizzer, of course it's not true... Big smile

That's what Saracens fans were saying when the Daily Mail broke the news about their cheating and then dug up so much evidence PRL could no longer sweep it under the carpet.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 15:35
The sum mentioned is £ 20 million to buy 'P' shares in the Premiership to enable Ealing Trailfinders to literally buy their way in !.
I would have liked Ealing to have been promoted into the Premiership but would any club who had the money turn that opportunity down ?.
How many chances will there ever be before it is truly ringfenced. The decision is  solely Mike Gooleys owner of Trailfinders. 
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 15:54
Surely, in a sensibly-run sporting competition, 20 million would be far better spent on a suitable stadium?
But then, this is rugby.
Our City,
Our Club
PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 09:19
I fail to see the logic of Ealing as a choice (other than an owner with money), what's the point of yet another Premiership club in west London?  It's about four miles from Trailfinders to Brentford stadium, a bit more from Brentford to the Stoop.  Why not pick Pirates or Doncaster or, yes, Cov (Wasps could do with the money)?  It's not a suggestion that makes much sense.

As for $aracen$, it's a club that cheated for years and if its decision to accept relegation rather than demonstrate for all to see that it was still cheating rebounds on it due to unforeseeable circumstances then I say 'tough, shouldn't have cheated'.

marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 10:01
The owner with money is the logic. Whilst I agree about the geography none of the other clubs have anywhere near the financial strength or facilities required to even compete in the Premiership. Given the current economic circumstances they all find themselves in their thoughts must surely be on financial survival in the Championship rather than looking upwards.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:33
Without funding from the RFu - or a TV contract - the Championship cannot exist as anything other than semi-pro.

Assuming Ealing and Saracens go up - you will need 6 (or possibly more) clubs from leaghue 1 to step up. This would be the only national league.

Then we can regionalise underneath that. Possibly with 14 team leagues to give players  a little more time off to recover.  And I believe three conferences is about right.

Sweeney Delenda Est
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:08
Originally posted by PlangentThrowback PlangentThrowback wrote:

I fail to see the logic of Ealing as a choice (other than an owner with money), what's the point of yet another Premiership club in west London?  It's about four miles from Trailfinders to Brentford stadium, a bit more from Brentford to the Stoop.  Why not pick Pirates or Doncaster or, yes, Cov (Wasps could do with the money)?  It's not a suggestion that makes much sense.

As for $aracen$, it's a club that cheated for years and if its decision to accept relegation rather than demonstrate for all to see that it was still cheating rebounds on it due to unforeseeable circumstances then I say 'tough, shouldn't have cheated'.

I can see numerous reasons why Ealing, they've consistently finished 2nd in the last 3 seasons losing out to the relegated PRL Side. They have infrastructure that already would be of envy to some premiership sides and have plans to add to this (an indoor training facility i believe is on the way). Being based in West London, provides the potential for alot of future supporters coupled with the fact that the area is a rugby hotbed. 

Saracens are one of the leading sides in England, yes they were caught breaking the salary cap but who says others aren't at the same time?. They were winning titles in Europe versus sides with bigger budgets than them.... I believe the French league handled their incident alot better....
I do believe that in the future we should have a side in Cornwall and Yorkshire but i don't believe either side are ready, ET are.

dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:09
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Surely, in a sensibly-run sporting competition, 20 million would be far better spent on a suitable stadium?
But then, this is rugby.
I do feel that this is a number that's been inflated by the media, Exeter paid £5 million for theirs.
Capt Sparrow View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cornish Pirates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:40
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Originally posted by PlangentThrowback PlangentThrowback wrote:

I can see numerous reasons why Ealing, they've consistently finished 2nd in the last 3 seasons losing out to the relegated PRL Side. They have infrastructure that already would be of envy to some premiership sides and have plans to add to this (an indoor training facility i believe is on the way). Being based in West London, provides the potential for alot of future supporters coupled with the fact that the area is a rugby hotbed. 

Saracens are one of the leading sides in England, yes they were caught breaking the salary cap but who says others aren't at the same time?. They were winning titles in Europe versus sides with bigger budgets than them.... I believe the French league handled their incident alot better....
I do believe that in the future we should have a side in Cornwall and Yorkshire but i don't believe either side are ready, ET are.

Excuse me but ET did not finish 2nd last season as the league was not completed, Pirates were only one point behind with a superior points difference and still had to play them. Seeing as we beat them 30-10 in our first encounter it was not a foregone conclusion that ET would have won the return. also they still had to play Newcastle and we didn't so anything could have happened.ET as yet do not have a Premier ready ground same as Pirates,

In short the only criteria for an team wanting promotion should qualify on the field of play and earn it by winning the league NOT buying the place in the PL.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:57
Clap
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 13:05
You also have to factor in some clubs may have been holding back due to the fact that the existing relegated club comes down with a mighty nice parachute payment that gives them an advantage so playing for second potentially wasn't so tantalising a concept for these clubs - but if a decision was made to promote the top 2 teams and that they would get a fair share of the apple when in the premiership, I think a number of teams would give it a push - at which point would Ealing finish second? Perhaps, but then again perhaps not with the likes of Pirates, Cov, Donny and a couple of others also keen to explore this opportunity I doubt Ealing would be the lone challenger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic