National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Best food?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which ground do you think has the best food?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.33%]
4 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
2 [6.67%]
2 [6.67%]
19 [63.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best food?
    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:09
I've seen lots of pie talk, and as there isn't much rugby to discuss, I was wondering which ground had the best food? I'm only counting the food on offer to punters, not the VIP pre-match food.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 13:32
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I've seen lots of pie talk, and as there isn't much rugby to discuss, I was wondering which ground had the best food? I'm only counting the food on offer to punters, not the VIP pre-match food.

I stand by our hot pork baps, but I always looked forward to the pie at Clifton Road.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 14:41
I've always enjoyed a proper Oggy at Pirates
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 15:02
For reference, I went with Goldington Road, as I had a great burger there a few years back, covered in fried onions - my favorite. Also, I haven't gotten down to Pirates or up to Donny yet. Ampthill food was a bit basic, and Ealing has great chips, but the rest is hit or miss. The RAG food seems largely non-existent outside of the supporters meal.
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 20:44
Have to say Iā€™m partial to a nice piece of Cow Pie at Donny!
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 23:16

The VIP meal at Donny is...........Cow Pie! Only difference is that it comes on a plate with a proper cutlery. 
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 09:13

The RAG food seems largely non-existent outside of the supporters meal.

Assorted pasties (very good), burgers, sausages in a a roll, chips, chicken and more readily available in the canteen between the Sports Bar & the Members bar. Occasionally have a BBQ or Hog Roast if a large crowd is expected. Best away grub imho is Blackheath or in the Championship Scottish. šŸ˜‰
One Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:36
Originally posted by knightandday knightandday wrote:

The VIP meal at Donny is...........Cow Pie! Only difference is that it comes on a plate with a proper cutlery. 
The plastic cutlery at Donny is genuinely woeful and should have a public warning associated with it. I suffered it the first time I went but since then take my own proper stuff as the pies (and hot bovril) remain imo the best in the Championship and deserve better equipment. The pop up BBQ at Hartpury deserves a favourable mention as its really good and I am told by the proper people who go there that the corporate fare upstairs in the clubhouse at St Peter is excellent. Ealing do a good range in the clubhouse and in the pop up BBQ outside as do the RAG although I hoped for more from the "Scotch Pies" when I tried one.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
hrplaneman View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrplaneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 12:50
For Championship food Donny gets my vote every time. apart from the Pie, the curry is good as is chips etc. However, whisper it quietly, the Pie at Rotherham Titans is streets ahead of the Donny fare!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 13:27
Originally posted by Old Gold Old Gold wrote:

Assorted pasties (very good), burgers, sausages in a a roll, chips, chicken and more readily available in the canteen between the Sports Bar & the Members bar. Occasionally have a BBQ or Hog Roast if a large crowd is expected. Best away grub imho is Blackheath or in the Championship Scottish. šŸ˜‰

I'm surprised by this - as an Ealing supporter, I've been to six or seven matches at the RAG, and I usually struggle to find any food. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 13:42
Originally posted by hrplaneman hrplaneman wrote:

For Championship food Donny gets my vote every time. apart from the Pie, the curry is good as is chips etc. However, whisper it quietly, the Pie at Rotherham Titans is streets ahead of the Donny fare!
The Iron & Steel bitter was my favourite beer on the Championship circuit when I last visited mighty Roth.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 15:47

The pie at Roth is ok, horses for courses - the little van that parked up at the opposite end to the clubhouse that sold warm / hot Pork Pies were delicious but that was independent of Roth I believe. 

The Scotch Pie at the RAG was a bit of a let down, but a not bad burger.
Hartpury - the burger stall seemed to do well
Bedford - have had a burger there it is ok - perhaps I had one two many to savour its finer qualities
Jersey - enjoyed the snap the night before the match but never had much on a match day there
Nottingham - caterers in their vans are ok but they aren't Nottingham's I guess
Cov - never tried as always busy tasting ale at the pub up the way Smile
the prem visitor (any of them) - never had anything really decent there
Ealing - think I once had a hot dog that was ok
Pirates - too much to drink to remember on any occasion there Smile
Donny - Pie, Curry, Chips they are all good (am I biased - I might be but I don't think so generally it is all pretty darn good)
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 16:04
Food is excellent at Saracens.
Keppeltitan View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keppeltitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 16:53
Have a sausage sandwich at Jersey awesome.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 19:10
Originally posted by Keppeltitan Keppeltitan wrote:

My standard match day fare mate with proper fire breathing mustard and a proper Portuguese Roll although I never have the onions which Mrs C claims lead to excess wind. The wonderful lass behind the counter allocates an extra sausage to my order because I ask nicely.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 19:54
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Keppeltitan Keppeltitan wrote:

My standard match day fare mate with proper fire breathing mustard and a proper Portuguese Roll although I never have the onions which Mrs C claims lead to excess wind. The wonderful lass behind the counter allocates an extra sausage to my order because I ask nicely.

Been to the island twice, had the excellent sausage in a fresh roll both times.  Top food.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 20:47
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

The pie at Roth is ok, horses for courses 

I hope you're not talking about the ingredients CPK?! Wouldn't this be covered by 'secret recipe' conventions a la KFC?!
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 13:21
CPK- the pie and peas that are sold in the Marquee Bar at Nottingham are very good. Would recommend trying them instead of the van food. 
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 14:23

Originally posted by Old Gold Old Gold wrote:

I'm surprised by this - as an Ealing supporter, I've been to six or seven matches at the RAG, and I usually struggle to find any food. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Canteen is located between Members Bar (where the posh lunches are held) & The Sports Bar but before you go through the gates to main pitch. 
One Club
Capt Sparrow View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cornish Pirates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 15:47
Best food at any away ground I've visited was at Doncaster also I enjoyed Jersey and Bedford.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic