National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU confirm plans for NCA Cup competition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Sley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFU confirm plans for NCA Cup competition
    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 05:34
RFU confirm plans for NCA Cup competition
Nov 13th, 2020

Given that there will be no league rugby this season, the Rugby Football Union have put into place a cup competition for NCA clubs to give our teams a competitive environment when we are able to resume playing contact rugby.

This will have no impact on clubs’ league status. Taking part will be completely voluntary. However, clubs who opt to participate will be expected to honour their fixtures.

The competition will include both National One and National Two clubs and it will be in two phases.

Phase 1: This will consist of regional based leagues of around six clubs who will play home and away.
The groupings and fixtures will be announced once we know which clubs will be taking part with the main objective to minimise travelling.
The competition start date will also be determined when we are given the go ahead by government to restart competitive rugby which hopefully could be in January.

Phase 2 – Based on the positions in the leagues, clubs will be split into cup, plate and bowl and those matches will be played on a knockout basis to determine the three winners. We have had the offer of hosting the finals at Twickenham.
If the restart is conditional on there being modifications to the laws of the game, the competition will be played under these modifications. If these are relaxed once the competition starts, we will play under the relaxed conditions.

It will be necessary to make some changes to the game regulations and these will be announced later.

NCA Chairman John Inverdale commented: “We’ve been talking about this for a long time.  I’m delighted we’re now able to blow the whistle and I hope as many clubs will enter as possible.”

All clubs will be sent an email from the NCA which will contain all the information regarding participation and you have until 30th November to register your interest.

Any questions or enquires, please email ncasecretary@outlook.com or get in touch with us on Twitter @nca_rugby.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 09:27
Inverdale should be congratulated, he seems to be driving this, great for the clubs if it can go ahead.
hills17 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hills17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 09:53
Agreed tigerburnie, he’s doing well
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 10:02
Finally something to look forward to. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 13:39
Wahey....

No, cynicism aside, hopefully this means I'll be able to wander down to Hinckley to catch a game at some point.
Better than nowt.
Our City,
Our Club
Bill Sley View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Sley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 18:19
I think it might not be quite as easy as it appears.........

Payments 
If the whole club is amateur then "jobs a good 'un".....but a Nat 1 I suspect there are a number of clubs relying on furlough for those that are on contract. If you play - you need to take them off furlough? 

Crowds 
I guess that if amateur/voluntary, then it might be like a "behind closed doors friendly" with only a bit of gas/leccy to pay for? 
If there are players that need payment - then a gate/bar needs to be taken to pay for it 

Regulations 
It seems like there might well be no scrums/mauls...........what happens to the 'muscle' up front? You'd be tempted to pick the fast lads so what would happen to the tight 5? 

Of course, if we're allowed into the ground - it's almost like "who cares.....we can see something"? 

There's a part of me that wants anything to watch - the other is, should we just call it a day until the 2021/22 pre-season as far as National Leagues are concerned. 

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 18:57
Some good points.

As things are at present, I would think we are a fair way off any competitive games - even rugby-lite.

As for crowds - even further off IMO.

How quick the vaccinations can reach the majority is really the key.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 08:04
The RFU have confirmed that the NCA Cup is not considered elite rugby so, like soccer, crowds will be allowed up to one third of normal Ground capacity. Of course, that is subject to any restrictions from the Tier system in a particular area. I’m putting more faith in that than a vaccine which will take months to reach me.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:30
Question as you are in the know Halliford:

Lets say this player is "clean" on Friday : 

What tests are going to be done pre game on both sides to make sure they are all clean on the day and the next and more inportant point is, what if somebody catches this virus from a game on Sat?

Cannot work because of it for 14 days, you then add in the other 30+ players and officials to that via track and trace . Or the virus gets worse and the player dies from it. How does the RFU or NCA insurance stack up or what is in place to protect the player.

Please don't think Im putting water on the fire, I'm not, John I has done a great job in getting this to the table and yes we do all want get back to playing, yes we all want a beer on a Saturday afternoon whilst watching the game we love, but the risk reward is far too great!

Does every player sign a disclaimer before they play, can see a few wives and girlfriends having a say on that, especially players that have families!

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 16:21
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

The RFU have confirmed that the NCA Cup is not considered elite rugby so, like soccer, crowds will be allowed up to one third of normal Ground capacity. Of course, that is subject to any restrictions from the Tier system in a particular area. I’m putting more faith in that than a vaccine which will take months to reach me.

I just hope they get something good like this for those of us at National 3 too.

As for capacity, unless you're Guernsey or have a proper stadium, you can easily just point to the old Courage Clubs Directory from 1990 to point out what the capacity is and get more in. :)
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 16:56
I think ground capacity would have changed since 1990,with clubs moving and or new stands built like mine. 
Cauliflower ear.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 17:26
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

I think ground capacity would have changed since 1990,with clubs moving and or new stands built like mine. 

Ah, but if you haven't then who's to say what has changed? Wink Unless there's a formal declaration of capacity, the older bigger one can stay unless they can prove otherwise.
clieves View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 17:34
Do you not need a safety certificate from your council with a formal capacity ?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 17:53
Originally posted by clieves clieves wrote:

Do you not need a safety certificate from your council with a formal capacity ?

Probably, however I think the point is unless you have an all seater stadium (loads of them at this level) you could stand 1 deep around the pitch or 10 deep.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 19:05
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Question as you are in the know Halliford:

Lets say this player is "clean" on Friday : 

What tests are going to be done pre game on both sides to make sure they are all clean on the day and the next and more inportant point is, what if somebody catches this virus from a game on Sat?

Cannot work because of it for 14 days, you then add in the other 30+ players and officials to that via track and trace . Or the virus gets worse and the player dies from it. How does the RFU or NCA insurance stack up or what is in place to protect the player.

Please don't think Im putting water on the fire, I'm not, John I has done a great job in getting this to the table and yes we do all want get back to playing, yes we all want a beer on a Saturday afternoon whilst watching the game we love, but the risk reward is far too great!

Does every player sign a disclaimer before they play, can see a few wives and girlfriends having a say on that, especially players that have families!

Because we are not the Elite game there will be no full-scale testing. Players will have to self-certify, as they did when we were training before this lockdown. In this way we are no different from the Allianz League which is already playing. As I understand it, provided all matches are played under the agreed RFU protocol then they are covered by the RFU insurance.

It’s obviously a risk and some Clubs may choose not to take the risk and so won’t enter the Cup. Many others will and will carefully assess the risk. So far we have had two positive tests in the 1st XV squad, one a teacher, and have not had to apply self-isolation because there was no close contact under the RFU flowchart. Inevitably there will be close contact in matches so that may result in some self-isolation requirements. Clubs and players have to make judgement calls and follow the rules.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 19:07
I'm very impressed that Kingsheathlad has his own stand😂😂😂

Edited by Thatbloke - 16 Nov 2020 at 22:19
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 19:09
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I just hope they get something good like this for those of us at National 3 too.

As for capacity, unless you're Guernsey or have a proper stadium, you can easily just point to the old Courage Clubs Directory from 1990 to point out what the capacity is and get more in. :)

London & South East DOC are working on competitions for Level 5 down, as well as 2nd XVs. As to ground capacity, most Clubs at Levels 3-5 have had Local Authority assessments so have a known number. Ours is 1800 so we will be able to have up to 600, more than our average over the last two seasons!
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 19:36
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

I'm very impressed that Kinsheathlad has his own stand😂😂😂

Sssh, don't tell everyone. LOL
Cauliflower ear.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Robb: There is no such league as National 3 and its not under the NCA

Kent have all the details and have pulled together two groups of 6 sides from Prem s/e and London1 from what I understand.With the top 4 going into a semi then final.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Robb: There is no such league as National 3

An early entrant for Pedant of the Week Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic