National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Is kicking too easy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is kicking too easy?
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 17:09
Having watched another boring match where sides spend most of their time kicking the ball away, I have to ask is it time to make the ball less aerodynamic?

If you could only kick 20 metres, would you be more likely to pick the ball up and run?

Also has anyone seen a proper drop kick in the wild?
I am sure most of the kick offs and drop outs are punted.

Finally, can we have kicks taken behind the mark?
As opposed to starting on the mark and taking several steps forward before releasing the ball.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 17:23
Yep, fill the ball with sand and soak it in wine.

Oh, no, that's Georgia, innit?
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 17:30
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Having watched another boring match where sides spend most of their time kicking the ball away, I have to ask is it time to make the ball less aerodynamic?

If you could only kick 20 metres, would you be more likely to pick the ball up and run?

Also has anyone seen a proper drop kick in the wild?
I am sure most of the kick offs and drop outs are punted.

Finally, can we have kicks taken behind the mark?
As opposed to starting on the mark and taking several steps forward before releasing the ball.

Certainly agree with the last point, it is something I have commented on a number of times and seems to be accepted by referees these days.
RAID ON
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 17:41
Ban the Caterpillar for a start. That might cut down one form of kicking. 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 18:00
'Hopper that is simple.
The 9 is offside when they encroach beyond the back feet to position the ball.
Anyone in the ruck must be fully bound from hand to shoulder.
No player in the ruck may use their hands.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 19:56
Drop goals are becoming a lost art. Both at international and community level and I'd love to see them make a comeback
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 20:15
Maybe "the mark' should be allowed anywhere in your own half to try and put a stop to games turning into a procession of box kicks 
Rucking Idiot View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rucking Idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 21:16
Or we could go back to 60's with a laced up pigs bladder when the ball had to last the whole season. Then after Christmas it was like playing with a wet sponge, but brilliant for mauls. OH happy days...
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's just my rucking luck!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 22:23
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

Maybe "the mark' should be allowed anywhere in your own half to try and put a stop to games turning into a procession of box kicks 

Good idea, bringing it back like it used to be 50 years ago. Might even be able to bring back the obsolete "goal from mark" as a scoring method.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:43
Nigel Owens , last season called the ball out as soon as the No 9 touched the ball with his hand this would speed up the play and give the opposition time to break to charge down the kick. I have not seen that this season. I also think that the length of the Ruck needs to be looked at may be that a player is only in the rugby if he is bound onto more than one player that would shorten the ruck. However I think that there is an issue of the back foot especially with the mid field that seem to be off side at most rucks. It would be an interesting exercise if the TV would put the offside line on the screen as they do with the gain line and that would at least highlight the issue. I suppose it is the assistant ref who calls it. 
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:03
Assistant Refs appear to ignore this law as well ........ 

• The player throwing in the ball stands on the mark of touch with both feet outside the field of play. The thrower must not step into the field of play until the ball has been thrown
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 13:23
Four points for a drop goal.
pappashanga
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 14:18
Totally agree with:

No to Catepillar

Calling Mark anywhere in your own half

And use the early eighties Gilbert Match

I find the sneaking forward from the mark reprehensible, players always in front of the kicker at restarts. No kicking tees, or if so very small as with the elevation the ball makes it is very easy to kick goals. Particularly as this encourages cheating at the scrum to win penalties to kick at goal. How many games are won by technical (dubious) penalties rather than brilliant open rugby?
Run with it
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 14:43
Absolutely agree, waiting for 1, no two, even 3 to join on, it should be stopped.
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 14:49
Originally posted by Puli. Puli. wrote:

Assistant Refs appear to ignore this law as well ........ 

<ul ="froala-ul" style="-sizing: border-; margin-bottom: 1rem; margin-top: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-left: 30px; caret-color: rgb50, 50, 54; color: rgb50, 50, 54; font-family: Uni-Neue-Regular, " Sans", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 17px; letter-spacing: 0.09995999932289124px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;"><li style="-sizing: border-; list-style-: disc;">The player throwing in the ball stands on the mark of touch with both feet outside the field of play. The thrower must not step into the field of play until the ball has been thrown

I know what you mean, however on the line is outside the field of play.
RAID ON
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 20:10
Raider999 .... at the weekend it was a case of not on the line but well over it. Minor point I know compared with some other problems but the laws are there to be adhered to. 
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by Puli. Puli. wrote:

Raider999 .... at the weekend it was a case of not on the line but well over it. Minor point I know compared with some other problems but the laws are there to be adhered to. 

Didn't spot that - but the TJ should have otherwise is there any point in him being there?
RAID ON
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 20:31
There's many elements of the game which make it boring to watch - and probably for some to play. 

The pick and go and the constant need to go back into contact rather than move the ball into space frustrates the living daylights out of me. As my late father used to say, "They are dodgems not bumper cars" meaning the aim was to avoid contact not look for it. 

Kicks if they have a purpose are fine, but most box kicks happen because the scrum half doesn't look for other options. 

When was the last time a scrum half dived pass? 

Would a heavier ball eliminate kicking?

Would the reduction of replacements see the game improve as more players would have to play for the full 80 and those who tire quicker would create gaps for teams and hoepfully stop the amount of kicks. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 20:33
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

No! Have marks return to the player being still with a boot in the ground.  
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 21:11
Dive passes? Mark with heel dug in? It’ll be three point tries and toe punt conversion before we know it!
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic