National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Proposed " Class Action"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 22:50
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 17:37
Players could drop out of game 'at all levels' unless there is change warns head injury foundation

Quote The findings of the BRAIN study mainly relate to those who played before the game turned professional in 1995.

While it found no link between concussion and the length of career, and the cognitive function in elite male rugby players over the age of 50, trends in those older than 75 suggested a link between more head injuries and an increased risk of conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 13:18
The article talks of 11,000 contact events a season, which is 30 a day every day of the year.
Most of those must be in training - and that suggest they are doing far too much contact training.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 12:17
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 08:57
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Tee hee ...

"The football helmet is a piece of protective equipment used mainly made so Tom Brady can't kiss other players on the lips. "

That's not my edit......Evil Smile
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 08:50
Tee hee ...

"The football helmet is a piece of protective equipment used mainly made so Tom Brady can't kiss other players on the lips. "
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 08:32
Sport is 'marking its own homework' on athletes' brain injuries, say MPs

Sport has been allowed to "mark its own homework" on reducing the risks of brain injury, an MPs' inquiry says.

Its report calls for a standard definition of concussion that all sports must use, and a paid medical officer at every major sporting event.

It comes as the first study to scan elite rugby players' brains suggests one in four could be at risk of small abnormalities.

But the long-term effects on brain health are not clear, researchers say.

And they stress that there are many health benefits to taking part in sport, which must also be taken into account.

Edited by Steve@Mose - 22 Jul 2021 at 08:33
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 00:53
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Question: when did American Football adopt helmets and all the protective gear worn by payers, and why?

Surprisingly shoulder pads were created in 1877, only 8 years after the first ever American football match.  I guess that in the early days players were looking for every advantage they could get in the tackle.

There does not appear to be a comparable list for rugby players, but this 2018 article from Wales Online covers a number of match-related deaths in recent years.
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 19:16
As Sid James commented above "If you put yourself willingly in the firing line with full knowledge of possible injuries then if it hits you  tough sh1* my friend".

Question: when did American Football adopt helmets and all the protective gear worn by payers, and why?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 10:23
Concussion in rugby: World Rugby 'stands with' former players in new welfare plan

The plan, which World Rugby hopes will make it the "world's most progressive sport" in the area, includes:

• Post-career care for former players
  • Head impact prevention
  • A welfare-driven law review
  • Focus on the women's game
  • Continued investment in education programmes
  • Ongoing engagement with "the rugby family"

Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:58
Good points Marigold - problem is we realistically can't go back 40 years and the players are unlikely to shrink or indeed reduce their training load. 

I can't help feeling that in some way the game will have to clearly differentiate between the amateur and professional arms with some sort of "semi pro" level to provide a potential gateway to the professional game.

Perhaps the powers that be should consult with the likes of Mike Tindall who played at the highest level and yet has still turned out subsequently for his local team. He should be able to at least offer a few thoughts based on personal experience and I'm sure that there are others who could do the same?

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 08:34
All I can say is 'Volenti non fit injuria'.
My sympathies with your condition and personal problems but I would ask that please stop this claim as it has the potential to allow the 'PC/Sympathy voting' gang to get involved and ruin the game from which you made a living.
All Knwoing All Seeing
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 08:08
Have been involved for many years with coaching at full range of ages and can honestly say i have never seen coaches encouraging contact as opposed to running through an available gap. What I have seen is coaches preparing players for the inevitable contact that happens in the game so they can deal with those situations. In fact footwork drills for front five players exist today to help them avoid defenders -never saw that in the days of Beaumont et al. Huge change has been the time spent on coaching defence and in particular on the organisation of team defence. Non tackling fly halves used to be celebrated and even play international rugby-these days they are not considered for selection.
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 23:20
Years of really poor coaching encouraging contact as opposed to avoiding it.  Rugby is classed as an evasion sport but coached by too many people with egos and masculine issues
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by Rucking Idiot Rucking Idiot wrote:

Fully agree with the 3 statements above. Having gone to a grammar school when you had 1 term of rugby with the choice of a 2nd term. Because I boxed I was placed in the front-row. You learnt your trade through the pain of not getting it right. However, didn't get my "Wings" until my 1st adult game v a London Irish XV at the age of 15. I knew the risks but played for the love of the game for another 45 seasons. My back, neck, knees, ankles & hands let me know I played the game. Even so would I do it all over again yes without question. Keep you & yours safe looking forward to meeting for a beer next Autumn....

Clap
keep the faith
Rucking Idiot View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rucking Idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 18:57
Fully agree with the 3 statements above. Having gone to a grammar school when you had 1 term of rugby with the choice of a 2nd term. Because I boxed I was placed in the front-row. You learnt your trade through the pain of not getting it right. However, didn't get my "Wings" until my 1st adult game v a London Irish XV at the age of 15. I knew the risks but played for the love of the game for another 45 seasons. My back, neck, knees, ankles & hands let me know I played the game. Even so would I do it all over again yes without question. Keep you & yours safe looking forward to meeting for a beer next Autumn....
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's just my rucking luck!
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 13:24
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

No-one is forced to play!

Schools spring to mind (my own was - 30 years ago but still today - putting out 4 XVs in each year group per week), as do M&Js - the argument in both cases that the chid isn't competent to make the decision themselves (as in understanding the potential long term consequences). 

IIRC doesn't someone have to sign a contract on behalf of an under 18, rather than the person themselves? Certainly do for the armed forces - so that's another potential liability in terms of clubs and more particularly academies.

Edited by billesleyexile - 23 Dec 2020 at 13:25
keep the faith
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 12:29
Have to agree Castle Park Knight! Very unfortunate for those who suffer such consequences but sadly it comes with the territory and is, no doubt, part of the attraction of the sport for those who play it. We have been having such conversations about boxing for many, many years and still there is no shortage of those wishing to sign up and partake.
Can there be any better way to make a living than to get paid for playing a sport that, presumably, you love and enjoy. No-one is forced to play!
Many professional occupations come with inherent risks attached. You have mentioned the obvious one in being employed by our armed forces but what about police force, firemen, paramedics, scaffolders, roofers,....... the list is endless. All of these occupations are covered by insurance and compensation schemes and so it should remain with professional sportspeople
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:48
Is there anything in here about the player knowing in advance of the risks involved in playing a contact sport and accepting those risks - it is a bit like a soldier who signs up during peacetime and when war arises trying to leave because I didn't join up for that....... it is a part of the role. Yes, there is an obligation to try and support the players but the liability doesn't sit with the RFU or the Clubs but with the player as they knew what they were engaging in.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Rucking Idiot View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rucking Idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 22:13
The game today is all about the big hit. Due mainly by the position you played was by your height, size & shape. For example Steve Thompson & Billy Beaumont. Perhaps the solution would be to take the game back to the 80's when tackles were below the waste and scrums were about technique...
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's just my rucking luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic