National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedStart date??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start date??
    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 08:21
What do you want to do ?
New mail< id="mailtoEmail">Copy< id="mailtoClipboardTo">
I know there's a thread about glimmers of a start to our season but if 16th January, the touted start date, is correct, when will we hear officially, and see a fixture list?

Or might I just as well bark at the moon?

Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:59
16th January start is awaiting Govt announcement on Wednesday
If it goes ahead then a full league fixture with amended rules

if not Jan 30th which will not be a full league fixture  but pool games 

After that ....... 
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 16:41
Gents, NCA Clusters will start in February thats been agreed and announced. RFU Clusters to start  23rd January.

Championship - well if it doesn't start by 16th January a full League programme means games in June so go figure.

Edited by PiffPaff - 12 Dec 2020 at 17:31
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 19:18
The way things are going, whenever the start is we will probably then be hit with a big freak snow storm, which will delay the league.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:00
Never mind the snow - get ready for 3rd and 4th waves of the virus. People continue to behave totally irresponsibly. Why do folk think that because the government relax some of the measures that all of a sudden its safe to be climbing over one another to do their Christmas shopping? 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 12:55
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Never mind the snow - get ready for 3rd and 4th waves of the virus. People continue to behave totally irresponsibly. Why do folk think that because the government relax some of the measures that all of a sudden its safe to be climbing over one another to do their Christmas shopping? 

Very true - horrifying pictures of loads of youngish people filling a street on 1st day shops re-opened, no social distancing, no masks, no care.

Just because you can doesn't mean you need to.

It is the attitude of younger people that causes Covid to spread so quickly.

I took my wife out for a meal on Friday evening, to celebrate my birthday - I ensured the pub we went to had strict measures in place and felt as safe as we could be - however, would I do it every week even, definitely not.
RAID ON
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 15:33
Well that is obvious, we will be in another lockdown in January.

I can’t see us starting in January anyway unless we get a TV contact, which we all know won’t happen. Who’s going to fund the testing of players?
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 18:27
Son of a friend is at a Championship club and they have been told to prepare for a Jan 23 or 30 start with 2 conferences of 6 home and away and then play the other 6 teams once. Who funds testing not yet clear-did the government not say there was £9 million for the Championship-surely that would cover it and some.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 18:42
It won’t cover the lack of crowds and hospitality etc and most of the money is a loan. 

If I were an owner of a Championship Club I wouldn’t want to take on debt to replace income just to play a season for effectively Saracens to go back up.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 19:51
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

It won’t cover the lack of crowds and hospitality etc and most of the money is a loan. 

If I were an owner of a Championship Club I wouldn’t want to take on debt to replace income just to play a season for effectively Saracens to go back up.

Maybe they should right the season off, and ring fence Sarries out.  😂🤔😉
High Heidjin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:43
As things stand, today, the Championship season starts on 23rd January and finishes on 22nd May. Two conferences of six teams, each playing each other home and away. Following that, each team will play the teams in the other conference, with three games at home and three away. Final will be netween the top 2 and will be played on a home and away basis, the aggregate score counting in that match as to who will become the champions. All weighted in favour of Saracens, then lol
The Inner Game Will Win Every Time
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:25
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

This.

Why bother? This could ruin clubs.

Maybe if Sarries paid all the other clubs to play them using the golden parachute...

Otherwise what is in it for the Championship clubs?

Edited by Woody - 14 Dec 2020 at 11:28
Forever Green.
Cov kid 42 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:39
Talk as of today of any Championship season getting underway in January is failing in my view to take into consideration a) announcement from the Government of Wednesday, where the belief I am hearing seems to be no area will go down, with some being placed back into tier 3.
Secondly, many I speak to are very uncertain & really seriously concerned re what will happen in January, once far too many have gone too far & in excess of what is supposed to happen over the '' 5 day break''.
John Butler
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 18:55
I just can't see how there can be any sort of league this season especially after today's announcement. No scrums, no mauls, no crowds,  no league in my opinion. Certainly I would not be going anywhere near until this is all over with. We have to get real, this is a killer not a cold. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

I just can't see how there can be any sort of league this season especially after today's announcement. No scrums, no mauls, no crowds,  no league in my opinion. Certainly I would not be going anywhere near until this is all over with. We have to get real, this is a killer not a cold. 

Are they the variations which will be applied in the Championship though?  I'm not sure.

What do you want to do ?
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 10:03
Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

Are they the variations which will be applied in the Championship though?  I'm not sure.

What do you want to do ?

well no, they're not supposed to be. But they might end up having to be if the season eventually gets under way. As more places slide into tier 3 the situation is only going to get worse. Championship clubs are now in a position where they could be facing, to play any matches, borrowing money to pay for testing to play behind closed doors.

Is it worth it? 
keep the faith
Rucking Idiot View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 10:51
Hi Maulers, Trying to live up to my name - why don't we start & end this season with a tradition that has fallen by the wayside for many clubs. "The Easter Tour" as this would bring the whole club together including the ExB XV & Supporters. It could also allow us to transfer some of our favorite songs to the younger members, that made this the most social sport of all. Wishing you all a very happy & safe Christmas and New Year 
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's just my rucking luck!
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 12:04
That is not a bad suggestion: With London now in tier 3 and lets be honest its going to be that way till at least mid jan, there may be no time left.

castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 14:35
Just to put something out there - the start of the 2021/22 season is not set in stone, as such a season could still be feasible (even if slightly abbreviated this time around) - we could finish late June and restart October no cup for two years job done. 

If you look at the R rate the North is now sat at 0.7 to 0.9 and 4 weeks ago it was what 1.1 to 1.3 - down South is now at 1.0 to 1.1 and climbing (lockdown should have some impact on the curve) so possibly in four weeks they too may be on 0.7 to 0.9 and we would be in Tier 2 so some relaxation, if not significant and clubs could have controlled numbers of supporters. 

As such, I am not yet going to set off on my epic journey to see the king and tell him the sky is falling. I still think rugby is feasible by the end of January - we all just need to be sensible about things and we may just turn that corner. Sure those folk at higher risk may have to take additional precautionary steps - and those of us who are not need to be sensible and follow advised precautions.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 16:19
With COVID restrictions at Christmas being loosened, we will inevitably have a significant increase and a spike in deaths around the middle of January 2021. Does anybody really believe that Championship rugby will commence in this sort of environment? Wishful thinking on the part of some I suspect. 
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic