National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedStart date??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 16:40
Two questions from me;

Will players be forced to have the vaccine?

Will players be forced to take a knee?
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 16:48
No club has forced the players to do either. We live in a democracy.
Shush View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 17:02
Originally posted by stadium stadium wrote:

The league hasn't started so it would be very hard for a club to have forced players to take a knee!

In regard  to the vaccine, I asked if the players would be forced to have the vaccine. Does anyone think pressure will be placed on players to have the vaccine? Does anyone envisage there being a time that demands the taking of the vaccine in order to play in a competitive match?

Is that stadium built yet?
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 07:28
I think it highly likely players will be required to have the vaccine if they wish to play. Clubs will want to show that playing rugby is as safe as possible-even if there is currently no evidence of transmission from actually training or playing. See no difference to if you want to travel to certain countries you have to prove you have had certain inoculations ahead of arriving there.Taking a knee will hopefully have run its important course by the time the league starts so will not be an issue.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 08:42
I cannot see any player getting vaccinated before autumn unless they are working in the NHS or a care home.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:08
Or pay for it?? 
Bunkermentality View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:08
Originally posted by Shush Shush wrote:

Two questions from me;

Will players be forced to have the vaccine?

Will players be forced to take a knee?

Am I reading the Daily Mail?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 12:10
I believe I have seen statements that the vaccine will not be available privately.

Frankly the risk to somone under 40 with no underlying health issues is minimal - though i am not a doctor and there are unknown long term issues associated with "long covid".

According to figures I got form a paper by Prof Spiegalhalter 37% of adult males are between 19 and 39 yet they are 0.75% of all Covid deaths.

Which is why they are starting where they are - if they vaccinate four or five million over 65s it stops over 2/3rds of hospital admissions. that then buys time to vaccinate the remaining 55 million.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 13:50

The league hasn't started so it would be very hard for a club to have forced players to take a knee!

In regard  to the vaccine, I asked if the players would be forced to have the vaccine. Does anyone think pressure will be placed on players to have the vaccine? Does anyone envisage there being a time that demands the taking of the vaccine in order to play in a competitive match?

I might have missed it but I don't believe anyone in sport or out of it for that matter has been forced to take a knee. 

Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 16:35
Looking at the Exeter situation, I find it hard to believe there can be any kind of league this season. Imagine the scenario, 22 weeks of fixtures with no breaks, Saracens get players testing positive and have to cancel 4 matches in which the opposition are awarded 5 points, thus ensuring they finish 3rd in the league?

More importantly the RFU are expecting clubs to go through a full 8 week pre-season, so paying players, with no guarantee of when the league will start . . so players brought back off furlough. Then they face the possibility of playing games in empty stadiums!!!!

Lets be realistic and cancel the season and hope to get a few local "friendly" derbies when safe to do so.
Run with it
Sail By View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 16:39
How many teams are in full preseason now already?
I think that more are than you think, but it would be good to look at the facts.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 19:38
Originally posted by Sail By Sail By wrote:

How many teams are in full preseason now already?
I think that more are than you think, but it would be good to look at the facts.
No idea, but Ealing and Saracens presumably, plus Cov have moved up a stage and introduced Covid testing.
Our City,
Our Club
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 20:02
Doncaster have been in full training for 6 weeks as have Jersey-both testing.  If the season starts in Jan there are going to be huge differences between the full time/testing clubs and those who are not full time/cannot afford to test.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 20:09
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I believe I have seen statements that the vaccine will not be available privately.

Frankly the risk to somone under 40 with no underlying health issues is minimal - though i am not a doctor and there are unknown long term issues associated with "long covid".

According to figures I got form a paper by Prof Spiegalhalter 37% of adult males are between 19 and 39 yet they are 0.75% of all Covid deaths.

Which is why they are starting where they are - if they vaccinate four or five million over 65s it stops over 2/3rds of hospital admissions. that then buys time to vaccinate the remaining 55 million.

All totally correct from what I've seen
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 20:11
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

I might have missed it but I don't believe anyone in sport or out of it for that matter has been forced to take a knee. 

Really, you cannot tell me 100% Premier Footballers believe in it yet they all take the knee - some even give black power salutes.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 20:13
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

Looking at the Exeter situation, I find it hard to believe there can be any kind of league this season. Imagine the scenario, 22 weeks of fixtures with no breaks, Saracens get players testing positive and have to cancel 4 matches in which the opposition are awarded 5 points, thus ensuring they finish 3rd in the league?

More importantly the RFU are expecting clubs to go through a full 8 week pre-season, so paying players, with no guarantee of when the league will start . . so players brought back off furlough. Then they face the possibility of playing games in empty stadiums!!!!

Lets be realistic and cancel the season and hope to get a few local "friendly" derbies when safe to do so.

Financially, that would make sense - would also serve Saracens right if they were out of the Premiership for 2 years - hard to argue against as they volunteered to take relegation.
RAID ON
covchopper View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 20:30
I hope they do take the knee and show rugby believed in racial equality. It would be very refreshing to see it. 
C'mon Cov
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 11:35
Originally posted by covchopper covchopper wrote:

I hope they do take the knee and show rugby believed in racial equality. It would be very refreshing to see it. 

I hope not. Keep politics out of rugby. If they have to do something, anything but that particular gesture.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:08
so as things stand Jersey, Hartpury and Pirates are the only teams allowed fans in...

what a mess.

New tiers announcement has just added Bedford and Ampthill to the London clubs in the newly tier 3'd.

Edited by billesleyexile - 17 Dec 2020 at 12:09
keep the faith
covchopper View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 13:30
I don’t see what all the fuss about showing a gesture agreeing with equality and against racism is about. Keep politics out of sport or bearing one’s head in the sand and pretending racism doesn’t exist?  I appreciate my response is moving away from the subject of rugby but I do wonder why people object to taking the knee. No different to a minutes silence when someone passes away or on armistice. 
C'mon Cov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic