National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Confirmed Championship start date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 08:46
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Saracens are among those involved in trying to set up a pre-season cup competition, according to the last para of this Sky Sports story...

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/19133/12169481/new-look-championship-to-begin-in-march-as-saracens-seek-top-flight-return
Brilliant idea can Jersey play Donny please?
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:29
You want to see the Jersey Exiles playing CC?
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

By hook or by crook, Sarries are going up.

So that will be crook - or is that crooked?
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 19:31
Saracens were punished by being demoted to the Championship to play for one full season in the Championship and if they were successful they would have gone straight back up. The key point is that they have not played a season in the Championship. They should  be made to wait until all the Championship sides have time to build a squad and to recover in readiness for a new season starting in September.

There are several teams who could surprise Saracens on the day. Most Championship sides will rise to the occasion and really challenge the `Premiership` side. 
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 20:05
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Saracens were punished by being demoted to the Championship to play for one full season in the Championship and if they were successful they would have gone straight back up. The key point is that they have not played a season in the Championship. They should  be made to wait until all the Championship sides have time to build a squad and to recover in readiness for a new season starting in September.

There are several teams who could surprise Saracens on the day. Most Championship sides will rise to the occasion and really challenge the `Premiership` side. 

RAID ON
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 09:38
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

I have more than a few old mates up there mate but I cant deny the prospect of a decent portion of pie at a KORT pre-match lunch also brings it high up my wish list. If the age stats are right I should be due a vaccine in February so I am hoping '21 is going to be a good year.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

I have more than a few old mates up there mate but I cant deny the prospect of a decent portion of pie at a KORT pre-match lunch also brings it high up my wish list. If the age stats are right I should be due a vaccine in February so I am hoping '21 is going to be a good year.

It is going to be a better year and I would look forward to you attending. Stay Safe and Stay Well.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 17:46

It is going to be a better year and I would look forward to you attending. Stay Safe and Stay Well.
He keeps trying the 'Tommy' reference. Someone'll notice eventually.
Our City,
Our Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

He keeps trying the 'Tommy' reference. Someone'll notice eventually.
I guess you're right mate but although I've no reason to be over-optimistic a Kort pre-match feed of pie at Donny qualifies as an amazing journey in my mind. Have a great Christmas break everyone and stay safe.
Rich View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:11
I feel sorry for those teams that won't get a bumper pay day for hosting Sarcens...although it may still be none if spectators are not permitted (and if they are not, why even bother - oh yes, to get Saracens back up ASAP)
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:21
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

I feel sorry for those teams that won't get a bumper pay day for hosting Sarcens...although it may still be none if spectators are not permitted (and if they are not, why even bother - oh yes, to get Saracens back up ASAP)

Yes, I think an especially bitter pill for Ealing and Richmond. Those would have been bumper crowds. This is why I have always been a fan of a Prem/champ cup, just the extra gate from a couple Prem teams could really help club finances at no cost to the RFU.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:50
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

Yes, I think an especially bitter pill for Ealing and Richmond. Those would have been bumper crowds. This is why I have always been a fan of a Prem/champ cup, just the extra gate from a couple Prem teams could really help club finances at no cost to the RFU.

I think a Prem/Championship cup would be a good idea, especially if the championship sides were given home draws in the first round.
RAID ON
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:52
Hi
As I posted on another thread a combined cup will not work. Too many Championship clubs depend on DR/loans to put sides out. These players would potentially be playing against their ‘home’ club.
The gulf between Championship (minus DR) and Premiership is big.
Would a Championship/N1 Cup with N1 clubs at home in 1st Rnd not have been a better option for the RFU to consider or include N2 too with the lower league club always hosting the fixture so potentially hosting a N1 and Championship club in consecutive rounds?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 11:26
Nat 1 DoRs have agreed to cut the league from 16 to 14 as they feel 30 games is too much. I am not sure how you add a cup to a calendar that is already too full.

I know in the past we had 14 team leagues and the knockout cup and one of the most bruising games I ever watched was the fixture at London Welsh in the season Cambridge were spending freely looking for promotion to the old Nat1.

But many of the games were complete mismatches. That season Exeter 115 -0 Preston Grasshoppers. Leeds had two 50+ whitewashes over Dings and Coventry.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 11:53
Yes maybe they should have considered before re-shaping.
In terms of mis-matches well I think the strength of the leagues has changed. Less of a gap top end N1 and 4th downwards of Championship. In saying this I do think bottom end N1 and N2 (South as not seen North) is definitely getting poorer year on year. Is it the ‘sameness’ of fixtures or playing styles, something is needed to re-energise a sport that has some global issues to sort out.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by Welshie7 Welshie7 wrote:

Hi
As I posted on another thread a combined cup will not work. Too many Championship clubs depend on DR/loans to put sides out. These players would potentially be playing against their ‘home’ club.
The gulf between Championship (minus DR) and Premiership is big.
Would a Championship/N1 Cup with N1 clubs at home in 1st Rnd not have been a better option for the RFU to consider or include N2 too with the lower league club always hosting the fixture so potentially hosting a N1 and Championship club in consecutive rounds?

Absolutely no point in adding a cup to Level 3 or Level 4 - the league size is reducing to allow for more rest weeks - adding a meaningless cup would defeat that objective.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 13:33

Yes maybe they should have considered before re-shaping.
In terms of mis-matches well I think the strength of the leagues has changed. Less of a gap top end N1 and 4th downwards of Championship. In saying this I do think bottom end N1 and N2 (South as not seen North) is definitely getting poorer year on year. Is it the ‘sameness’ of fixtures or playing styles, something is needed to re-energise a sport that has some global issues to sort out.

I'm not sure the standard has dropped in N2S - just the teams are more equal in strength. It is still very difficult for the 3 promoted clubs to stay up.
RAID ON
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 16:04
According to players and coaches in N2 they would disagree with you about the lessening of standard....evening out maybe but if you look back at the strength of those teams who have been promoted 4-5 years ago compared to more recently....
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 17:48

According to players and coaches in N2 they would disagree with you about the lessening of standard....evening out maybe but if you look back at the strength of those teams who have been promoted 4-5 years ago compared to more recently....

Agreed N2S loses 2 teams to N1 virtually every year, most years only 1 team gets relegated from N1 to N2S.

This means the standard of N2S is evening out.

Yes, there have been some really good teams in N2S over the past years - most promoted teams from N2S seem to do reasonably well in N1 (such as Chinnor, Rams in the last couple of years.

There is an imbalance in N1 with a lot more Southern sides than Northern.

Having watched 1 N2N game (not a large sample size admittedly) - I was not impressed with either team.
RAID ON
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 22:26
Looks like the Confirmed Championship Start Date of 6th March has been blown out of the water with the introduction of Tier 5. 

The date was delusional at best when first mentioned and back to the drawing board for the RFU to justify a legitimate route back to the Premiership for Saracens. 

Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic