National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Confirmed Championship start date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 22:34
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

[QUOTE=KnightsBoy]By hook or by crook, Sarries are going up.

So that will be crook - or is that crooked?
[/QUOT

Crooked ! Not a word you would normally associate with Rugby Union but looking forward to the future it will be synonymous with Saracens and the players involved. In the future ( not looking back  ) over old news ! I believe Saracens will be back in the Premiership even if they never play a game in the Championship.
Fairplay ! in reality it is a rare occurence in sport and less in ' professional rugby union.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 23:04
So is it a 14 team Premiership?
Saracens and Ealing ‘promoted’.

But will the 10 Championship clubs bite the bullet. Bring in 6 teams from National 1, two conferences.
Possibly to offer clubs stability no relegation for one or two seasons? 
Guessing a September 2021 restart?

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 23:04
I've locked one thread, do you want me to do it to this one too?

Richard
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 08:41
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Richard

LOL
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 13:36
Excellant contribution ! Much better than a row of ZZZZzzzzz's
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 13:43
I am being optimistic. The whole idea of this lockdown is to reduce deaths while the vaccine is rolled out. If the roll out means that deaths drop massively (which it should do when we get through the first couple of priority groups), then I could see life getting back to reasonably normal by March. 

To me, the vaccine being out there makes this a very different lock down than the previous couple as there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 13:52
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Excellant contribution ! Much better than a row of ZZZZzzzzz's

There goes another rib...
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 13:54
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

then I could see life getting back to reasonably normal by March. 

I'd say that's exceedingly optimistic.
Can't see anything happening until September now.

Hope I'm wrong.
Our City,
Our Club
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 14:16
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Richard

Absolutely right. How dare people discuss rugby-related issues on a rugby thread on a rugby forum!
Mickyboy View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 19:43
Rumours about that clubs some clubs have not been allocated the funding they have applied for and in the circumstances they will not be taking part in the Championship deadline is Friday. No sure how the land lies there but I understand where they are coming from if funding is not what they expected
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Westcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 22:34
Nailed it with your first word....."rumours'..... yawnConfused
Come on Jersey........
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 09:05
If that rumour could be substantiated with statements of fact from clubs then it would have some weight but whilst a rumour sadly it is just that.

I heard a rumour I was getting a 50% pay rise, but as I work for the NHS it will end up being a 1.5% cut in real terms.....actually that did happen last April (the pay cut) so not really a rumour. 

Let us just wait and see what happens regarding clubs playing or not playing rather than chucking the hand grenade into the room :-) 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 18:07
castleparknight, maybe cut NHS salaries and de-nationalise that company to help the Government fund Championship rugby clubs?
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 18:44
Perfect plan Wink
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Mickyboy View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mickyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 13:44
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 14:00
So effectively Rugby outside the top flight, might return in September 
Looking forward to new beginnings.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 14:31
Originally posted by Mickyboy Mickyboy wrote:

https://www.ampthillrufc.com/arufc-request-for-help/?fbclid=IwAR2kidquqiv0jzqfgaoiTT9eWVUj9FHKvoIH79PqWvJeSoTWkJ6CzSKGVgI     From Ampthill Rugby club

The lack of grants for Rugby's second tier is ridiculous. If it is elite sport, then it deserves some kind of funding.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 15:48
Gerg, its not "elite" enough, remember RFU CEO Bill Sweeney believes the Championship is more aligned to the Community game than the Premiership. I said elsewhere that outside of Ealing, Donny and Sarries it was unlikely that the rest of the Championship was going to find tens of 1000s of £s  to pay for effective testing. The lack of grants is because "rugby's 2nd Tier" is NOT self-sufficient and Clubs like ET cannot purport to be "elite" when your average crowd is just over 1000, indeed the average attendance in the Championship is just over 1600 (2018/19 season) and that's with at least one big fish per year coming down from the Prem. Other than the Premiership (and Premier 15s) we won't see any other League rugby until mid-September if we are lucky.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 15:56
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Gerg, its not "elite" enough, remember RFU CEO Bill Sweeney believes the Championship is more aligned to the Community game than the Premiership. I said elsewhere that outside of Ealing, Donny and Sarries it was unlikely that the rest of the Championship was going to find tens of 1000s of £s  to pay for effective testing. The lack of grants is because "rugby's 2nd Tier" is NOT self-sufficient and Clubs like ET cannot purport to be "elite" when your average crowd is just over 1000, indeed the average attendance in the Championship is just over 1600 (2018/19 season) and that's with at least one big fish per year coming down from the Prem. Other than the Premiership (and Premier 15s) we won't see any other League rugby until mid-September if we are lucky.

Crowd size has nothing to do with whether or not a team is "Elite". I am constantly baffled by the lack of crowds, but if you cut funding, don't advertise the league, and create a non-competitive league structure (no playoffs, huge parachute payment) it is no surprise that the league struggles. Bill Sweeny should be canned immediately - his leadership has been non-existent, and failing to get a better funding package for teams up and down the ladder stops at his door.
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 21:21
I’d be surprised if there’s a league game before January 2022
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic