National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Lions Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 18:40
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

Sinkler now cited for biting. 

Not any more. 
Cauliflower ear.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 19:38
Gatland seems to have picked every Welshman in the squad.

The one I really cannot understand is the hooker, as Lions lost virtually every line-out he threw in.
RAID ON
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 20:49
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

The one I really cannot understand is the hooker, as Lions lost virtually every line-out he threw in.

agree; of the players who won't (barring a late injury call-up) play a minute of test rugby on this tour, i would say Jamie George and Ian Henderson are the most unfortunate...
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 21:42

To be fair, when the Lions brought Owens on last Saturday it coincided with SA bringing on Lood from Sale, who dominated the line-out after he came on. Lood has kept his place so the Lions will need a plan B at the line-out.

I think this was one tour too many for Gatland.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 17:47
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

To be fair, when the Lions brought Owens on last Saturday it coincided with SA bringing on Lood from Sale, who dominated the line-out after he came on. Lood has kept his place so the Lions will need a plan B at the line-out.

I think this was one tour too many for Gatland.

All the more reason not to start with Owens, very strange selection!
RAID ON
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 18:58
To be fair, Marx also came on round about the same time and he’s an excellent thrower. It wasn’t just the tall bloke.
pappashanga
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 22:15
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

To be fair, Marx also came on round about the same time and he’s an excellent thrower. It wasn’t just the tall bloke.

Sorry, but we were talking about the Lions losing their own ball so, I don't see how the SA hooker could have any influence on Lions hookers throw-in.
That makes it very much about the 'tall bloke'.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 23:42
Given how crooked scrum feeds are, all a hooker has to be able to do is throw in.
I am not sure how you get to go on a Lions tour if you cannot throw and hit your own man.

In the second half, the Lions could not compete at the scrum, at the line out or in turnovers and the back three could not catch. But we had no plan B.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 07:56
And still haven't! Gatlands totally predictable response has been to pick a side to try and out-bully and out-kick SA. Like other international sides why can't he acknowledge that this isn't going to work and that a different game is required. (How does Van der Merwe retain his place after scoring around 4 on most pundits assessments?) 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 08:41
Because defence wins matches and while flashy back play looks good, it cannot possibly win you a championship :-).

It is not just Gatland and the Lions, England do the same.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:46
I agree that it is commonly accepted that defence wins matches but it seems to have dawned on other international teams that you won't beat South Africa by constantly smashing it up the middle. You have to move them around and you don't necessarily have to adopt "flashy back play" to achieve this. Moving teams around should in theory be easier these days with fed scrums and (virtually) uncontested line outs - if you can get your throw and catcher in sync. You should be able to win enough ball to move teams around without taking endless risks. Surely every team must adopt tactics that give them the best chance of winning and trying to beat SA (at their own tactics) will not work. In the words of the late Ted Dexter "sometimes you have to be prepared to lose to give yourself a chance of winning" Sadly I doubt either team will be adopting that philosophy on Saturday and we must all prepare ourselves for another slug-fest, kick dominated, TMO deliberations boring advert of what should be a wonderful game

Edited by Thatbloke - 05 Aug 2021 at 10:49
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 11:08
Unfortunately (in one sense) Plan A did work in achieving a win in 1st test and also got us to HT in 2nd test narrowly ahead - could even have been a winning lead if Henshaw try had been given. But then it was horribly exposed and now seems like it may lose us the series instead.

There is a plan B on the bench this w/e (Simmonds/Russell) and maybe if we are 5-10 down after 50 mins this Sat they might come on and change the game - but I'd be the first to admit to straw-clutching...

Presumably LRZ was discounted on grounds of defensive fallibility, leaving a straight decision between Watson & vdM for the winnger to be left out and replaced by Adams; which for some reason Watson was chosen to be axed
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 12:00
Sorry, misunderstood that. I was referring to the fact that SA were losing a couple of line outs until the substitutions.
pappashanga
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 20:20
Was it a Lions tour or Barbarians?
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 20:32
All I will say is that south africa didn't win that, we lost it.

Why on earth when you have a penalty in front of the posts to guarantee to make it a draw and have the ball kicked back to you, go for the corner? It's Robshaw all over again
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 21:21
Thank god that’s over. We lost but that’s not even the worst part of it. The refereeing throughout all 3 tests has been diabolical, he didn’t have a clue about the scrum today. We never got a 50-50 call all series, SA’s try was clearly a knock-on. The persistent time-wasting by the Springboks was embarrassing and yet nothing was done about it. My faith in the whole Lions concept has taken a battering on this trip. The people in charge either give the Lions proper preparation time or they should bin it. It can’t go on like this. We couldn’t even get the full squad together before we flew out. A national team in that same position wouldn’t even consider touring in those circumstances. I’m just sick of it, the Lions aren’t given a chance by their own unions. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 21:35
Brilliant match tho. Rugby won that tour. Hoping to see an odd tourist in Millais next week. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Full Bodied Red View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Bodied Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 23:06
Which authority decided and when, that the feed into the scrum could be put in at 45 degrees without censure? Apart from hundreds of refereeing inconsistencies across the whole Lions tour, this stood out. No 50/50 calls for the Lions and poor game management undermined what should have been a series win. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 14:40
I'm somewhere in between DKF & CC who have posted above. Yes it is a pity that the Lions don't get adequate prep time, but the calendar is so squeezed that I can't see that changing - the national unions (Sco/Wal/Ire) &/or clubs (Eng) who are the players' main employers won't allow it. The rugby was compelling - to me as a purist - because it was so close, with so much at stake, and a real bite to proceedings as a result of the niggle between the camps and sheer physicality. But as a spectacle it left quite a lot to be desired and I wouldn't have thought was very attractive to neutrals or those new to the game.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 14:46
For the last 15 days the Lions have been together with nothing but the Test matches to prepare for - and recover from.

How long does it take for a hooker and a jumper to co-ordinate?

The story going in was that the Lions were fitter and would win if they were in contention at 60 minutes.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic