National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Lions Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 15:46
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I hope not. All this hypothetical speculation from the media isn't helpful. It is possible  to do it at the worst case scenario. At the extreme end  you could just require those on the official Lions tour to get a negative test or vaccine certificate before getting on the plane, have specific hotels with specific isolated excursions every day, sit all Lions fans together  in a stadium (like football , though I know the thought of that will be sickening to all) and have designated Lions pubs. It will be possible providing we have the support of the South African government.

Sorry but have you not seen the news in the last month?

South Africa have a new strain of this thats twice as bad as ours according to UK Gov.
Hence why we have stopped travel to and from SA at present.

Don't you think that 20k supporters might, just might pick it up at some stage, in whatever bar or hotel or complex they are staying in? Or even attending games, or are all the staff at events going to be British as well? 

When I last looked nobody under 45 was in line to have the vaccine before July if they were fit and healthy. Or do we just jump them to the front of the line because they want to get on a plane to SA to watch rugby 

Very sorry but what a stupid suggestion.......

Coming up with solutions at least. If people are prepared to take the chance allow them. But don't you think that if the SA government supports something like that, they'll have the staff tested and bubbled up too?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 16:42
It doesn't really matter does it - the Lions is the experience of the TOUR for the players and the Tens of Thousands of supporters that follow them contributing a lot of money to the local economy.

Without a full house of supporters it is a total non-runner - so the only solution is to postpone for a year.
RAID ON
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 16:43
I'd suggest 2022 may be the leading runner.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 17:19
Doubt it,  World Cup in 2023.

They should bump the Tours down the order.

So...

2025 SA
2029 Aus
2033 NZ
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 19:41
I did wonder if you could push the World Cup back - but it is in France so pushing it back would clash with the Olympic so that is not on.

But without the income from the Lions SARU could go broke. Playing without fans would generate much less money - and at the moment it is not clear there could be any travel between UK and SA - even elite athletes.

If they did go broke SA would either not send a team to the World Cup - or possibly send a much weaker amateur team. The IRB and FFR need the RWC money.  There is more hope that enough people will have been vaccinated before the RWC - but even that is not definitely going to have happened.

Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 09:44
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

I think It will be a sad day when we stop speculating and expressing opinions and solutions, practical or not. This is a discussion forum and stamping on hope is doing nobody any favours.

100% agree Sid - this should be a banner fixed to the top of the home page...

Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Doubt it,  World Cup in 2023.

They should bump the Tours down the order.

So...

2025 SA
2029 Aus
2033 NZ

I agree the above scenario may well be the best (least-worst really) in all the circumstances. 
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:08
Talk of the Olympics being cancelled in todays papers so chances of tour to SA non existent IMHO.

Problems as well with the Euro competitions so Mhazelnutille in May has to be extremely doubtful.

I still think that the Lions is a strange concept in the professional world occupied by rugby across the globe.

I know all about tradition but isnt it time to sit down and talk sensibly about the structure of the game world wide.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:27
The Lions are not about tradition, but all about money. The Lions tour generates a lot of money.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 16:41
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The Lions are not about tradition, but all about money. The Lions tour generates a lot of money.

Precisely.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 17:52
Stick to the rugby and not conspiracy theories. 

I've deleted some posts which are veering off topic. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 09:51
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

and possibly money for Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/31/rugby-union-australia-british-irish-lions-south-africa?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:26
I'm really surprised the Aussies are so keen to risk hosting major sporting events given the need for people to travel 1000s of miles to get there.

Can they really expect crowds to self isolate even with 50 % capacity?

I get my jab this week with a second probably late April - would I travel within Europe ? Probably. Would I travel long haul
?? NO - EVEN ASSUMING TRAVEL IS ALLOWED.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 11:18
Reading between the lines it sounds like they will try and fill stadiums with people already in Australia. I doubt that any travelling fans will be allowed in
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 13:26
Not from Perth though?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 13:30
As I said on the other thread, it's getting harder to plot a course for the Lions with at least half a dozen options floating around:
  1. SA with fans
  2. SA without
  3. UK/Ire with fans
  4. UK/Ire without
  5. Australia
  6. postpone to 2022
  7. postpone to 2025
All have some snags, some are looking moreorless impossible at this stage (I'd put 1 and 6 into that category). Australian option could be split into a) fans from everywhere; b) only fans resident in Australia; and c) no fans at all. There'd be no point in c) and I'd say a) was highly unlikely...

What a g'an on, as my Granny used to say... Confused
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 14:51
Australia aren’t going to let anybody travel.

Please be sensible 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 16:40
Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

Please be sensible 

Including sportspeople? They’ve let the Indian cricket team & several hundred tennis players in over past 2 months. If you mean supporters then you’re probably right...
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 20:01
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

Please be sensible 

Including sportspeople? They’ve let the Indian cricket team & several hundred tennis players in over past 2 months. If you mean supporters then you’re probably right...

Supporters
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:18
Those of you who thin k that the Lions is all about money possibly haven't spoken to any player who has been on a Lions tour. I mean actually speak privately in person and not read what they say for the press. Virtually every single one will tell you that it was the highlight of their rugby lives bar nothing. There's no doubt that money is made, especially for the hosting unions, but for the players it's the apex of their ambition. The tradition is mighty, and the players are well aware of that.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 14:52
Originally posted by French Connection French Connection wrote:

Those of you who thin k that the Lions is all about money possibly haven't spoken to any player who has been on a Lions tour. I mean actually speak privately in person and not read what they say for the press. Virtually every single one will tell you that it was the highlight of their rugby lives bar nothing. There's no doubt that money is made, especially for the hosting unions, but for the players it's the apex of their ambition. The tradition is mighty, and the players are well aware of that.

Exactly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic