National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Lions Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lions Tour
    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 13:24
Cardiff, Twickenham and Wembley as potential Test Match venues.

Playing South Africa tests in UK is contingency plan

Edited by Steve@Mose - 22 Jun 2021 at 13:49
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 18:27
hmmmm... not quite sure the good hoteliers/bar owners/restaurateurs and ancillaries of SA will look on letting the Lions play at "Home" as opposed to a postponement to another season so they can get their cut of an estimated 1 Billion Rand (about £50 Million) that the 40-50,000 Lions fans will generate.

So possible choices are postpone for a year or let them play in the UK, don't see the Lions again until 2033 if at all again!
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 18:50
I know it's a few months off yet but do we really need planes flying in from South Africa with yet more possible variants of the virus. We won't get out of this by allowing World travel to continue - pro sport/holidays/business travel whatever. Absolute joke - why are we worried about the Lions when folk are dying by the thousand?
There are also wider implications here. Elite sportspeople, popstars, celebs in general - we can carry on regardless The rest of you plebs need to follow the rules. Rita Ora was it, gets caught having a party, issues the mandatory apology then spends her time trying to find out who "Dobbed her in" Footballers break the rules, apologise, but heyho no consequences. You can probably tell I'm working myself up into a frenzy here but it's an absolute effin nonsense! 

Edited by Thatbloke - 05 Jan 2021 at 18:59
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 18:59
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

I know it's a few months off yet but do we really need planes flying in from South Africa with yet more possible variants of the virus. We won't get out of this by allowing World travel to continue - pro sport/holidays/business travel whatever. Absolute joke - why are we worried about the Lions when folk are dying by the thousand? 

No flights from Sth Africa allowed at present.

Personally, I don't see the point of Lions playing at home, better to postpone it - although 2033 is a tad pessimistic
RAID ON
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 19:02
2033 - Freudian slip?? 😂😂
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 20:43
Australia and New Zealand before South Africa in 2033 I think. 
Cauliflower ear.
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:08
Delaying the Lions for a year won’t be popular with the unions.
I think Brian Moore said in an article that players suffer loss of form etc. for a year post tour.
That would impinge directly on the next World Cup.

If they can’t/won’t/shouldn’t go to South Africa then in my opinion, the tour should be cancelled or at least deferred until the next Lions cycle.
Mistral View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mistral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:42
If SA a no go get the Lions back to New Zealand and finish the job from the last series?😁
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:42
Sorry should have made it clear 2033 is the next time the Lions should visit SA after this year.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:44
Originally posted by MikeGC MikeGC wrote:

I think Brian Moore said in an article that players suffer loss of form etc. for a year post tour.

If they can’t/won’t/shouldn’t go to South Africa then in my opinion, the tour should be cancelled or at least deferred until the next Lions cycle.

agree MGC - delay to 2022 almost certainly so unpopular with Home Unions (and English clubs, and also Aus/NZ due to host Eng/Ire at that time) that they'd decline to release players...

looks very challenging to go to SA this July & things would have to improve pretty rapidly in UK to stage it here at that time, so yes, I'm thinking 2024 or 2025 might be necessary. But with the Lions' name/brand/tradition/ethos/magic/influence/significance (delete as applicable) waning - I hate to say that but regret it's true - could they survive a 7/8 year absence?

lot of money riding on all this, maybe that will somehow lead to a solution being found - that's as optimistic as I can manage right now Cry

Edited by islander - 06 Jan 2021 at 11:46
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension"="">

agree MGC - delay to 2022 almost certainly so unpopular with Home Unions (and English clubs, and also Aus/NZ due to host Eng/Ire at that time) that they'd decline to release players...

looks very challenging to go to SA this July & things would have to improve pretty rapidly in UK to stage it here at that time, so yes, I'm thinking 2024 or 2025 might be necessary. But with the Lions' name/brand/tradition/ethos/magic/influence/significance (delete as applicable) waning - I hate to say that but regret it's true - could they survive a 7/8 year absence?

lot of money riding on all this, maybe that will somehow lead to a solution being found - that's as optimistic as I can manage right now Cry

<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

Possibly more to the point, SARU may well go broke without money from the Lions tour.

If the tour is cancelled and not rearranged for 2022 would it be an idea to put the cycle back 4 years so the tours remain in sequence but 4 years behind?
RAID ON
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 11:03
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension"="">

<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

Possibly more to the point, SARU may well go broke without money from the Lions tour.

If the tour is cancelled and not rearranged for 2022 would it be an idea to put the cycle back 4 years so the tours remain in sequence but 4 years behind?

That seems a sensible and fair solution.
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 11:16
Maybe they should play somewhere neutral, like Dubai Wink
pappashanga
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 11:59
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

Maybe they should play somewhere neutral, like Dubai Wink

Really, there have been numerous people returning from Dubai who have contracted the virus.

Also playing elsewhere does nothing to address the financial problems SARU face if there are no crowds.
RAID ON
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 12:01
It's rife everywhere at the moment. I can see the tour being postponed.
pappashanga
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 21:16
I hope not. All this hypothetical speculation from the media isn't helpful. It is possible  to do it at the worst case scenario. At the extreme end  you could just require those on the official Lions tour to get a negative test or vaccine certificate before getting on the plane, have specific hotels with specific isolated excursions every day, sit all Lions fans together  in a stadium (like football , though I know the thought of that will be sickening to all) and have designated Lions pubs. It will be possible providing we have the support of the South African government.

Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 21:22
Possible maybe but on reflection I'll be giving that one a miss - vaccinated or not! 
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 00:22
Off topic

A couple of years ago, it was suggested a Ladies Lions team be formed.
If the men play in the British Isles, maybe the brand could be launched here. Not sure if opposition would be ready though, think suggestion of USA and Canada. Maybe two tests in Wales and Ireland?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 07:55
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I hope not. All this hypothetical speculation from the media isn't helpful. It is possible  to do it at the worst case scenario. At the extreme end  you could just require those on the official Lions tour to get a negative test or vaccine certificate before getting on the plane, have specific hotels with specific isolated excursions every day, sit all Lions fans together  in a stadium (like football , though I know the thought of that will be sickening to all) and have designated Lions pubs. It will be possible providing we have the support of the South African government.

Sorry but have you not seen the news in the last month?

South Africa have a new strain of this thats twice as bad as ours according to UK Gov.
Hence why we have stopped travel to and from SA at present.

Don't you think that 20k supporters might, just might pick it up at some stage, in whatever bar or hotel or complex they are staying in? Or even attending games, or are all the staff at events going to be British as well? 

When I last looked nobody under 45 was in line to have the vaccine before July if they were fit and healthy. Or do we just jump them to the front of the line because they want to get on a plane to SA to watch rugby 

Very sorry but what a stupid suggestion.......

Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 08:56
South Africa is in total crisis,their health system is nearing collapse,travel is banned and yet all a few half wits want is for thousands of brits to travel their(and return) so they can watch a game of rugby.Ofcourse,the govt should assist in sending brits there and ofcourse,its the govts fault when they return with the virus and its no doubt the govts fault for overwhelming the SA health service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic