National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Trailfinders Cup needs postponing - Event Date: 13 Jan 2021 - 13 Dec 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Trailfinders Cup needs postponing
    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 08:14
Sadly this wll intentioned competition needs to be postponed immediately. The Women's league has been postponed for a fortnight so as to not add pressure on the NHS especially in London. The Premiership has decided to rest for 2 weeks. These friendlies are meaningless and any injuries that occur and require hospital treatment will add pressure on the A and E departments already bursting at the seams. It is not like either of these teams are going to struggle to be the top two in the league if it takes place. It is only Wednesday so lets hope good sense prevails.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 13:44
Yet again Marigold you speak total sense.

How can this be allowed to be played. It will fly in the face of everything Uk Gov is trying to do.
And before somebody says, its a warm up game not in anyway Elite sport!

They have called off the Womens and also the Mens Under 20's Six nations today. 

So no way they can let this happen
Its a pointless game and pointless risk ... The RFU needs to get a grip and pull this 

It will also properly end up with a few players testing positive as well.

Edited by Scrumtime - 13 Jan 2021 at 14:18
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 14:39
BT Sport have pulled  the plug on possibly covering this pointless game
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 14:55
Ealing Trailfinders PR exercise is part of their campaign to get into Premier League before it is Ringfenced.
RFU needs to have a word about the competition.
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 18:18
Financial decisions or public health decisions?

What I’ve said a few times of late.

It’s commonly mentioned, when it suits, about rugby and core values.

Time to implement them in a situation where financial values are top trumped. 
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 18:41
Originally posted by stadium stadium wrote:

Ealing Trailfinders PR exercise is part of their campaign to get into Premier League before it is Ringfenced.
RFU needs to have a word about the competition.
I doubt whether Ealing's decision to promote the competition had anything to do with finance or PR. I think they deserve credit for their initiative in trying to bring rugby back within the guidelines that the government have laid down and I suspect their main motivation is likely to be creating opportunities for their squad to play rugby in difficult times. If the government guidelines/regulations require the matches to be postponed or cancelled I have no doubt Ealing and the other clubs will comply. I respect Ealing's motives and initiative in this matter although I still hope Jersey beat them next time the two teams play.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
OLDALIKADOO10 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDALIKADOO10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 18:46
I’m guessing you’ll agree it wasn’t agreed, planned, executed over a long lunch. The game is currently going ahead, I guess because the COVID protocols allow it. If something happens (players test positive) it would then be cancelled I guess.
The other consideration is that Trailefinders (MG) is sponsoring this. And yes people book lots of holidays with Trailfinders (most of which are countries won’t even start vaccination programmes in 2021. I would like to TF Rugby mirrors TF travel values 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 18:57
I am not anti Ealing or this competition , however the Covid protocols for the Championship, and these matches,  were put in place before the current C19 variant was rushing through the population, especially in London- from where the two clubs playing in the match hail from. There must be doubt if the  protocols are still fit for purpose as they currently allow the Championship teams with part time players to train , many of whom i assume have jobs outside of rugby so mix with the general population daily.
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDALIKADOO10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 19:58
Ealing and I guess Saracens, can’t comment on Donny are
All full time professionals

Facts please, not conjecture 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 20:34
Originally posted by OLDALIKADOO10 OLDALIKADOO10 wrote:

Ealing and I guess Saracens, can’t comment on Donny are
All full time professionals

Facts please, not conjecture 

All 3 clubs are full-time. The situation is definitely bad in UK, but elite sport is continuing for the moment.

Why should Tottenham, Fulham, Man City & Brighton be fine to play football matches tonight, but not the lower-paid f/t rugby professionals of Saracens and Ealing this w/e? Because of a decision by the French government about cross-border European games?

While elite sport is allowed to continue, so should this competition, IMHO...
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 22:50
The facts are all 3 clubs are full time and elite sport is allowed to continue. Another fact is these games are friendlies, not part of a governing body league or cup competition. They are unrequired extra matches that unnecessarily increase the risk of the spread of Covid because you have two normally separate squads now playing against each other. Should there be any serious injuries the players will have to attend already overburdened A and E departments in London. Nor is the game televised to provide alternative viewing for the cancelled European fixtures. I suggest both clubs could gain significant positive PR if they agree to not play due to the current Covid situation in London. Alternatively they play and appear to put the importance of a friendly rugby match, 6 weeks ahead of when their league is due to start, above any responsibility they suggest they have for their local communities.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 04:25
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

The facts are all 3 clubs are full time and elite sport is allowed to continue. Another fact is these games are friendlies, not part of a governing body league or cup competition. They are unrequired extra matches that unnecessarily increase the risk of the spread of Covid because you have two normally separate squads now playing against each other. Should there be any serious injuries the players will have to attend already overburdened A and E departments in London. Nor is the game televised to provide alternative viewing for the cancelled European fixtures. I suggest both clubs could gain significant positive PR if they agree to not play due to the current Covid situation in London. Alternatively they play and appear to put the importance of a friendly rugby match, 6 weeks ahead of when their league is due to start, above any responsibility they suggest they have for their local communities.

With seven weeks (March 6th?) until the league commences, I hope by Feb 6th decisions are made on friendlies if the RFU stick to March 6th. Or if we are still seeing significant infection numbers, a bold, sensible decision is made.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 09:01
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

With seven weeks (March 6th?) until the league commences
I admire your optimism!
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 09:56
It's not looking good with a new variant found in Brazil and Japan apparently. 
Cauliflower ear.
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDALIKADOO10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:16
The game is being streamed by the same production 
company that Saracens use 247TV

First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDALIKADOO10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:18
Again, this appears to be a forum where people like
to get on their little soap boxes for an uneducated rant

Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by OLDALIKADOO10 OLDALIKADOO10 wrote:

Again, this appears to be a forum where people like
to get on their little soap boxes for an uneducated rant

It's a forum for all opinions - education isn't a requisite
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 13:43
What benefit to anyone are these games?
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 13:53
Well, they could benefit England, so I say ditch 'em! Wink
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 13:53
Maybe I should have said what purpose do they serve?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic