National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

No relegation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 14:53
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Originally posted by Taffy Taffy wrote:

If I understand the premiership reasoning, relegation this season would not be a true reflection of the "on field" result as Covid cancelled matches are awarded points for not playing (currently Gloucester have played all matches and are bottom, opposed to teams above them who haven't played all their).
Using this logic (something the RFU are not renowned for) how can European places be decided?

If the Championship starts this season and games are cancelled due to Covid will the same points system be used? Surely promotion and relegation from the Championship should be halted this season?

Absolutely. You can't have one rule for the Prem and a different one for the Championship - or can you?

Well we have had one rule for the Cheats and one for everyone else in the Premiership for the last six years so ....
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 17:16
Taffy, as mentioned elsewhere there is no relegation from the Championship as there is no National 1 to get promoted from.

I doubt the Championship will actually happen. Super League and RFL Championship have moved their start date back to 26th March...... and  I doubt those will happen also, particularly RFL Champ as they need crowds. No TV deal, no wads of Governing body funding and the RFL Champ Clubs and Div.1 can only do non-contact training because they aren't "elite" sport. That sounds very similar to many RFU Championship Clubs, think only 3 or 4 clubs are full-time Sarries, Ealing, Donny off the top of my head other Clubs have players who also work for a living and therefore won't be getting the vaccine until September-ish. Depressing all round IMHO
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 20:13
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Taffy, as mentioned elsewhere there is no relegation from the Championship as there is no National 1 to get promoted from.

I doubt the Championship will actually happen. Super League and RFL Championship have moved their start date back to 26th March...... and  I doubt those will happen also, particularly RFL Champ as they need crowds. No TV deal, no wads of Governing body funding and the RFL Champ Clubs and Div.1 can only do non-contact training because they aren't "elite" sport. That sounds very similar to many RFU Championship Clubs, think only 3 or 4 clubs are full-time Sarries, Ealing, Donny off the top of my head other Clubs have players who also work for a living and therefore won't be getting the vaccine until September-ish. Depressing all round IMHO

Depressing, but Realistic I am afraid.
RAID ON
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:37
Given the RFU and PRL and England rugby all want or need Saracens back in the Prem I think it is likely that a truncated Championship shall take place solely to facilitate the return of Sarries and either Donny or Ealing to make up the even numbers in a ringfenced league once the precendent has been set by this COVID season.
I don't think it should as it is of no benefit to the game as a whole but that is no longer a barrier to theses decisions.

The rest of the Championship clubs will be crucified financially for nothing.
The testing costs alone are prohibitive without any income.
Forever Green.
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:08
Ugo Monye BT Sport presenter said on the BBC SPORT Rugby Pod that it is "just not right to ring fence the Premier League". Top Guy.

Edited by stadium - 20 Jan 2021 at 11:14
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:10
Originally posted by stadium stadium wrote:

Hugo Monye BT Sport presenter said on the BBC SPORT Rugby Pod that it is "just not right to ring fence the Premier League". Top Guy.
Good old Ugo!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:33

Ugo Monye BT Sport presenter said on the BBC SPORT Rugby Pod that it is "just not right to ring fence the Premier League". Top Guy.

I think my memory is correct, in that he said the opposite whilst commentating on a game earlier this season.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:36
There is a major problem with increasing the number of teams in the Premiership to 13 or 14 - this means increasing the number of weekly rounds from 22 to 26.

To achieve this something must go - either the Premiership Cup or the end of season play-offs (or both).
RAID ON
Mickyboy View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:07
Marigold Bedford Blues state that every home game is worth minimum of 50k to them which more than covers trips to Jersey and Cornwall which involves overnight stay
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 13:10
I think you will find that clubs in Nat1 & 2 could be turning over 20 - 30k per match day depending on who is being played, 1000 spectators equals 15k in simple terms before a pint/burger or anything else bought
So many Christians not enough Lions
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 13:43
'Marigold Bedford Blues state that every home game is worth minimum of 50k to them which more than covers trips to Jersey and Cornwall which involves overnight stay'

MB that may well have been the case when the RFU were giving them £560k to play 15 home games per season. This season they will get less than £150k for the season so the figure is nowhere near that, plus the costs of trips to Jersey and Cornwall have significantly increased due to Covid requirements.  I would love to see evidence of a profit of £50k per match.
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 14:30
Raider999 perhaps Ugo has been influenced by BTSport who have just signed a new 4 year contract with the Premier League which they say would not be popular with viewers without Promotion and Relegation.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

'Marigold Bedford Blues state that every home game is worth minimum of 50k to them which more than covers trips to Jersey and Cornwall which involves overnight stay'

MB that may well have been the case when the RFU were giving them £560k to play 15 home games per season. This season they will get less than £150k for the season so the figure is nowhere near that, plus the costs of trips to Jersey and Cornwall have significantly increased due to Covid requirements.  I would love to see evidence of a profit of £50k per match.

I would love to see evidence that revenue from a home game with 2500 spectators isn’t enough to cover the cost of hiring a bus for a day. That revenue generated on match days has nothing to do with the money received from the RFU?

Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
OLDALIKADOO10 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDALIKADOO10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 17:16
If they ring fenced the premiership, I would watch Glos v anyone and I would follow Brizzle. Apart from that, no disrespect to Northampton v Leicester, no interest and I think a lot of rugby fans would feel the same. If there is no consequence
For finishing last, how could you expect players to give 100% each week

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 18:36

Raider999 perhaps Ugo has been influenced by BTSport who have just signed a new 4 year contract with the Premier League which they say would not be popular with viewers without Promotion and Relegation.

Look at what happened when the lesser code did it. They had Harlequins RL getting smacked around every season, no-one wants to see that. They want to see clubs fight to avoid dropping.
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 19:09
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Look at what happened when the lesser code did it. They had Harlequins RL getting smacked around every season, no-one wants to see that. They want to see clubs fight to avoid dropping.

Please keep your repeated bigotry out of discussions on rugby,particularly when your bogotry is consistently incorrect. There is no such team as Harlequins RL.

Lets be realistic,one code is all about running,tackling,passing and scoring tries,whilst union is about kicking and clapping,together with collapsing and resetting. Even the BT commentators are getting bored with the game.

Have a nice day and take that bag of potatos off your shoulder.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 20:53
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

I would love to see evidence that revenue from a home game with 2500 spectators isn’t enough to cover the cost of hiring a bus for a day. That revenue generated on match days has nothing to do with the money received from the RFU?

It isn’t a profit, just turnover, but simple maths 2,500 @ £20 gross = £41,667, that is before the hundreds that take up hospitality, stand seats which cost more, beer sales etc. etc. 

£50k is only £20 net from everyone very achievable.

When we had playoffs years ago we were getting around £75k for semi finals and £100k for the final against Newcastle.

The other big loss is the sponsorship boards, not sure many clubs have boards covered inside and outside the perimeter of the ground and any other location that they can be fitted. That is another massive revenue stream, which may be lost/reduced.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 21:34
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

'Marigold Bedford Blues state that every home game is worth minimum of
50k to them which more than covers trips to Jersey and Cornwall which
involves overnight stay'

It isn’t a profit, just turnover, but simple maths 2,500 @ £20 gross = £41,667, that is before the hundreds that take up hospitality, stand seats which cost more, beer sales etc. etc. 

£50k is only £20 net from everyone very achievable.

When we had playoffs years ago we were getting around £75k for semi finals and £100k for the final against Newcastle.

The other big loss is the sponsorship boards, not sure many clubs have boards covered inside and outside the perimeter of the ground and any other location that they can be fitted. That is another massive revenue stream, which may be lost/reduced.

I think you are correct, most clubs are not very pro-active when it comes to generating income.
RAID ON
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 21:40
Originally posted by Fly Half Fly Half wrote:

Please keep your repeated bigotry out of discussions on rugby,particularly when your bogotry is consistently incorrect. There is no such team as Harlequins RL.

Lets be realistic,one code is all about running,tackling,passing and scoring tries,whilst union is about kicking and clapping,together with collapsing and resetting. Even the BT commentators are getting bored with the game.

There was a Harlequins RL back when they had a ringfenced Super League. You may know them now as London Broncos.

Oh and by the way, league is just "5 tackles, kick and pray then repeat". Just saying.

Edited by Robb - 20 Jan 2021 at 21:42
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 09:53

Originally posted by Fly Half Fly Half wrote:

There was a Harlequins RL back when they had a ringfenced Super League. You may know them now as London Broncos.

Oh and by the way, league is just "5 tackles, kick and pray then repeat". Just saying.

Robb,stop digging,you really dont have the intelligence.

Broncos were vastly more competitive than Irish,Worcester and Newcastle in their various relegation seasons and certainly never dropped to the sordid depths of Saracens.

I've both played and watched both codes of rugby,whilst you have been trying to understand the difference between a maul and a ruck. As it happens I much prefer SL to the Premiership,whilst at the community level,say level 5/6,I happen to prefer union.

The codes are very different but each can learn from the other. I am very open minded on the pros and cons of each but unlike you,I'm not an ill informed bigot. I happen to have an extremely close connection with the Broncos and have had since I lived in Wandsworth 40 yrs ago. I've forgotten,more than you will have ever known. Now be a good boy and take that dummy out of your mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic